BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-09-2011, 07:09 AM   #1
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

vacationing in Dominican Republic?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you vacationed in DR before? If so, what do you recommend seeing? Is it safe to be traveling around, or is just better to stay in whatever resort you chose and only do those excursions that are sponsored by that resort? Any specific places to avoid? Any things you recommend is a must see/do?

I've never been there, but I'm planning on going for a week just to relax and have a change of scenery. Thanks!
      11-09-2011, 08:11 AM   #2
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

First things first... you bringing sand to the beach?
      11-09-2011, 08:16 AM   #3
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

the locals are pretty nice there. I stayed at occidental grand punta cana. been there twice. The only thing I would avoid is really poor parts because seeing the way that some people live will make you feel so bad. For the most part we stayed at the resort unless we went on a tour or did activities

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
MonteB
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Black on Black

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
RIU Palace Punta Cana.
      11-09-2011, 10:07 AM   #5
dawiyo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan - Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteB View Post
RIU Palace Punta Cana.

+1 for Riu resorts.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
Boosted John
Internet Ninja
Rep
Drives: 13 AH3

it wasn't bad, i had a pretty good time. i stayed at the Bahia Gran Principe in La Romana. It was a all inclusive resort and i spent 85 % of my trip inside of the resort.

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 09:06 AM   #7
Alpine Whiteboy
Jerry's Fault...
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi M-Sport SGM

Excellence Punta Cana. I got married there in June. It's a 5 star all inclusive resort, that has a bunch of free activities, and plenty of entertainment (free shows in the lounge area every night on stage, live band etc.)

These are a few wedding pics:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542298

It doesn't show much of the resort, but you can see how beautiful the beach area is, from unbias, untouched, non-Photo-Shopped pictures that you'll find on every resorts website lol.

I had an AMAZING time there... Gonna go back next year!

Martino*Auto*Concepts
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 09:34 AM   #8
KyLu II
FREE DREAMK
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: the shiiit!

Garage List
2011 Lexus LFA  [3.76]
Is not like Mexico...
      11-10-2011, 09:37 AM   #9
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

I went there, nice beaches, locals are hustlers and will try to sell you everything, but it's like that everywhere...lot of mosquitoes there too

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #10
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Red thing

I loved it for 550 a person round trip including unlimited food and drinks 5 day stay. This was about 8 years ago though.

If its cheap still I would recommend it 10/10. Where did you plan on going exactly?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #11
etc335i
Trainee
El Salvador
Rep
Drives: BUS PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGP View Post
First things first... you bringing sand to the beach?
This is important to know. Lol
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #12
MetsFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 G37x

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Whiteboy View Post
Excellence Punta Cana. I got married there in June. It's a 5 star all inclusive resort, that has a bunch of free activities, and plenty of entertainment (free shows in the lounge area every night on stage, live band etc.)

These are a few wedding pics:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542298

It doesn't show much of the resort, but you can see how beautiful the beach area is, from unbias, untouched, non-Photo-Shopped pictures that you'll find on every resorts website lol.

I had an AMAZING time there... Gonna go back next year!
I stayed there for my honeymoon in '07 too and the place was awesome. The only thing is we couldn't go in the water because it was rough, but the pools made up for that.
It's definitely the best place I've been to out of DR, Jamaica, and Aruba.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #13
Mahmood07
Captain
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 + F85 X5M

I went there this year and stayed at the Bahia Principe in Punta Cana. I had lots of fun but preferred Aruba and Jamaica over DR. Aruba had much more activities and a better beach, and jamaica had that very cool culture that everyone loves. In DR we stayed at the resort for most of the trip, and just left for the nightclubs and this catamaran trip:

///M3 Mods: | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Primary Cats Delete (TTP) | ESS Tune | 19" Advan RS | Eibach Springs | MS Air Filter | BMW Perf. Spoiler | BMW Perf. Splitters | Euro LCI Tail lights | Angel iBright v.3.0 | 20% Tint | Matte black Kidney Grills | CF Side Gills | Painted Reflectors | Black M3 emblem
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #14
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

I was there for 7 days back in early August.. Stayed at Dreams Punta Cana (not my choice, I was there with a wedding party).

Fucking hated it.

Literally 95+F, humidity 80+%, UV index was an 8 or 9 every day. The AC in the rooms couldn't keep up and unfortunatly 90% of the resort was open air. Eating breakfast every day at 7AM you could feel the sweat running down your back. So in other words supremely uncomfortable. Pools were like bath water, so there was literally no escape from the heat and discomfort.

We had clothes hanging up in our room trying to dry them out and even after 6 days they were just as wet as we went to pack them. After we returned home we ended up having to toss a bunch of the stuff because after 4 washings in hot water with with vinegar and oxyclean, you could still smell the mildew.

No less than 8-10 of our group (approx. 1/3) got the trots to some degree even though none of us drank the tap water. So you ended up in your room pissing water for 48 hours of your vacation.

Resort was very mediocre.. The people I was with were more interested in quantity than quality and the place was full of rednecks from the US. Probably the most Harley Davidson t-shirts I've seen in one place outside of Milwaukee.

The only good thing I experienced was the Cigar factory tour... I picked up a few boxes of Don Lucas (local OEM producer for Monticristo, etc.) sticks and friggin' love them.

Sure a lot of my complaints have to deal with the oppressive heat, etc. and my personal comfort, but I think it's worth mentioning since being outside is something that you are expected to do when you go to a place like this. A few of the people I was with really liked it, but I don't think I'd ever go back. I'd happily spend 10x the money and go to Hawaii.

So in summary, I can't in good conscience recommend the island. Even if you experience 20% of what I did, it'll ruin your trip. But if that's really where you want to go, don't look for the best deal.. price yourself out of the riff-raff I had to deal with. Bring Ammodium and lots and lots of dry clothes. Make sure you check all the sites (expedia/travelocity/trip advisor, etc) for reviews before you book anything... oh, and check the weather
Appreciate 0