BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

04-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Issue with driving cycle: supercharged and trying to pass inspection

All,

I wanted to reach out the community to those that have inspection laws that would require swapping their stock x pipe over in order to pass inspection.

I just supercharged the car in December of last year and march was my inspection month for this year.

We swapped over the stock x pipe for the readiness of the O2 sensors. In the past two inspections (I live in MA so we need to do inspection yearly and they plug into the OBD for readings) I had Dinan x pipe and software. No big deal as I would go and do the swap and have the car with the Dinan x pipe back on the car and a new sticker.

With the supercharger, we are having a hard time with the car adapting to all the driving cycles. We got 2 or three done, but the O2 sensors are not picking up (even when switched over to the stock x pipe and O2 sensor file).

Just wondering if anyone in CA, NY or other states with strict inspection protocols have had the same issue or something similar.

Been working with my SC vendor and this is something that has not happened and are working on recreating. Just been frustrating since my dealer has been doing the work and its getting Expensive for a $35 sticker.

Car has been there for a week now and I am about to just get a fail sticker just so I can drive it out of here and get it into my garage as I hate leaving it there. Seeing more small scratches on it from people walking near or looking at the car.

Any advice is greatly appreciated all.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
When you say the stock o2 sensor "is not picking up" - what do you mean by that?

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

It's not reading a readiness.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

Guys I really need some input here. So there are several driving cycles our cars have to go through.

The car has adapted to three of the cycles. The stock cats are reading the O2 are reading. The problem is in the drive cycle where the car can not go above 3kRPM and needs to stay at 55mph for at least 15 minutes.

The software file provided by VF for the stock cats was put in place. The stock x pipe is on the vehicle, but the car will not adapt.

Prior to the supercharger I had Dinan x pipe with the ESS tune and never had any problems adapting.

The car has been at the dealer for 2 weeks now and no results. VF is apparently trying to replicate the issue, but there is little communication as to solutions.

My tech advised to try and flash the car completely back to stock. Since the bigger injectors are in place and they are regulated by throttle modulation, we proposed that perhaps the car will adapt to the completely stock file.

VF stated that under medium to heavy load that could do damage, but the cycling does not require heavy driving.

To put all the stock injectors back and vice versa we are looking at excessive hours and alot of money..alot of money. Right now I am half way in cost to what the kit cost. $4k to be exact. That with the dealer cutting me some slack.

If I can't get a sticker I can't drive the car. I can't afford to swap all the injectors as the cost is too high. They have put over 500 miles on the car in addition. Let alone who knows how many idiots rubbed up against my flawless paint work that I spent 30+ hours on this winter.

Please someone help with ideas..otherwise I will have no choice but to sell the car.

I take it no one in the ESS community has had this issue before in states requiring OBD reading for a sticker.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
VF needs to write you a file with Stock software, rescaled for injectors, and a couple other tweaks to keep the DME fom freaking out with the blower installed. Then you can drive it (lightly) to set readiness. There are also a couple other tricks too.

Two things are common with a S/C or catless setup:
1. Oxygen sensor monitoring is NOT ready
2. Catalyst system monitoring is NOT ready

Everything else should pass but these two.

So - if you give me more information, I can help you. Which one of these is not passing readiness? Is it both of them? Or is it just oxygen that is not passing?

Let me know.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Some info to help (and this will only work IF the file in your car is suited properly):

1. Engine cold start, idling, approximately 3 minutes. Evaluated:
• Secondary Air System
• Evaporative Leak Detection

2. Constant driving at 20 to 30 MPH, approximately 4 minutes. Evaluated:
• Oxygen Sensors - Achieved “Closed Loop” Operation
• Oxygen Sensors - Response Time and Switching Time (Control Frequency)

3. Constant driving at 40 to 60 MPH, approximately 15 minutes (sufficient vehicle coasting phases included). Evaluated:
• Catalytic Converter Efficiency
• Oxygen Sensors - Response Time and Switching Time (Control Frequency)

4. Engine idling, approximately 5 minutes. Evaluated:
• Tank-Leak Diagnosis (DMTL Equipped Vehicles after KL 15 - ignition - is switched OFF)

NOTE: The diagnostic sequence illustrated above will be interrupted if:
• The engine speed exceeds 3000 RPM.
• Large fluctuations in the accelerator pedal position.
• The driving speed exceeds 60 MPH.

Again - this will work ONLY if the calibration in your car allows it to.

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

This is the cycle we are trying to go through. The 40-60 is the issue the car won't adapt. The only logic we can think of after countless hours is that the file in the vehicle that was provided by VF is either corrupted and incorrect (corrupt is a harsh word I know), its not written properly and this causing the DME to not adapt.

Mike I appreciate the response. I have run out of patience, time and starting to run out of money all for a $29 sticker.

It seems extreme to swap all injectors out and seems that there must be a simpler solution. Perhaps sending a different file..I mean something.

I cant believe no one else has potentially run into this problem.

All I am looking for is some communication back from my supplier. It doesn't even have to be an answer just simple communication.

Since this has never happened in the two other inspections I have Had to do, one can only think that it's file related.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShoreM3 View Post
Guys I really need some input here. So there are several driving cycles our cars have to go through.

The car has adapted to three of the cycles. The stock cats are reading the O2 are reading. The problem is in the drive cycle where the car can not go above 3kRPM and needs to stay at 55mph for at least 15 minutes.

The software file provided by VF for the stock cats was put in place. The stock x pipe is on the vehicle, but the car will not adapt.

Prior to the supercharger I had Dinan x pipe with the ESS tune and never had any problems adapting.

The car has been at the dealer for 2 weeks now and no results. VF is apparently trying to replicate the issue, but there is little communication as to solutions.

My tech advised to try and flash the car completely back to stock. Since the bigger injectors are in place and they are regulated by throttle modulation, we proposed that perhaps the car will adapt to the completely stock file.

VF stated that under medium to heavy load that could do damage, but the cycling does not require heavy driving.

To put all the stock injectors back and vice versa we are looking at excessive hours and alot of money..alot of money. Right now I am half way in cost to what the kit cost. $4k to be exact. That with the dealer cutting me some slack.

If I can't get a sticker I can't drive the car. I can't afford to swap all the injectors as the cost is too high. They have put over 500 miles on the car in addition. Let alone who knows how many idiots rubbed up against my flawless paint work that I spent 30+ hours on this winter.

Please someone help with ideas..otherwise I will have no choice but to sell the car.

I take it no one in the ESS community has had this issue before in states requiring OBD reading for a sticker.
We offer an emissions friendly file for our supercharger kits if customers request it. This option allows the customer to load the tune via E-Flash when needed, drive cycle to set monitors to get the vehicle thru inspection. This tune does require stock exhaust or primary cats to be installed.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #9
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

Roman trust me I am shooting myself in the foot. If only ilia could of cut me a small break on the blower!!

I just can't over how complicated this has become and the drastic measures that were considered.

One would think there would be proper protocol in place for this.

There was another car a few days ago with an AA kit that had the same problems....

I just want to drive the darn thing. The dealer has put almost the same amount of miles as I have on the kit. It's brand new with less than 800 of my driving miles, which were carefully monitored up until 750 miles where I let it open a little.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #10
OM VT3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 zcp m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
We offer an emissions friendly file for our supercharger kits if customers request it. This option allows the customer to load the tune via E-Flash when needed, drive cycle to set monitors to get the vehicle thru inspection. This tune does require stock exhaust or primary cats to be installed.
i have this tune for my car and will need it to pass soon. once its uploaded in the car do i have to do anything else other then have the stock exhaust on the car?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #11
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

I wouldn't put stock injectors back on the car as you run the risk of running lean under load. Remember, some douche at the dealership can take your car for a road test and floor it (with stock injectors) and this could be enough to blow it. VF better get on their horse and get something going, it can't be that hard to write an inspection friendly file. GL, keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 01:27 AM   #12
8k3
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

VF has a rep on this board. PM them about this thread
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #13
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

I'm in touch with the VF folks. The SC itself is fantastic and runs totally fine. Love it and I'm so glad I did it. I was just looking to see if perhaps we are missing anything here that could be done or if anyone has encountered this.

From an actual emissions standpoint they state it's not emissions compliant, but all smog testing, O2 is completely legal and up to MA specs. I mention that for those that are concerned in other areas where emission testing is more difficult. This is with stock cats of course. Any x pipe will increase emissions.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #14
bsmack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Sorry to see you go through this headache! In the very distant future I definitely plan on getting a supercharger and xpipe as well. Emissions is a huge concern for me though and I definitely wouldn't want to go through half of what you're going through right now just to get a stupid sticker.

Doesn't MA allow all cars 2001+ to fail one readiness check? If your car is only throwing o2 readiness wouldn't it still pass anyways?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #15
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

So clearing the DME of all code did not work. Back to zero and still no updates.

We are at a complete standstill. Nothing has been brought to the table all week from the manufacturer.

Starting to grow extremely concerned.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #16
BuckRodgers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShoreM3 View Post
So clearing the DME of all code did not work. Back to zero and still no updates.

We are at a complete standstill. Nothing has been brought to the table all week from the manufacturer.

Starting to grow extremely concerned.
You need to have VF build you a SC file that is emissions compliant or return the car to stock for testing.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #17
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckRodgers View Post
You need to have VF build you a SC file that is emissions compliant or return the car to stock for testing.
of find a good buddy at the state testing facilities.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #18
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

I have the 2nd file back in the car with stock cats/O2 sensor file. The car drives completely fine and there are no issues in that regards. Just can't get whatever software they provided to acclimate to the driving cycles.

Been incredibly frustrating, time consuming, alot of out of pocket expense for a 29 dollar sticker.

The kit itself is great and strong just can't understand why this isn't adapting and unfortunately not alot of communication, questions advice, etc from VF. They are working on it from their end which I appreciate a great deal. Unfortunately the only options that have been provided (returning car back to stock, swapping stock injectors is not a financial option.

I would love to upgrade the kit one day, but I'm sure many can understand why spend all that extra money for an uncertainty of what could happen.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 01:08 PM   #19
thetastelingers
Master Baiter
Rep
Drives: 18 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 SOLD  [10.00]
2018 BMW M2  [9.67]
Did this get resolved? If so, how?
I have the VF540 kit on a car I bought and I have THE SAME ISSUE!

So far VF have only offered to sell me a $250 program upgrade.
Still talking with them to see if they can help.

Last edited by thetastelingers; 07-16-2014 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 01:18 PM   #20
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetastelingers View Post
Did this get resolved? If so, how?
I have the VF540 kit on a car I bought and I have THE SAME ISSUE!

So far VF have only offered to sell me a $250 program upgrade.
Still talking with them to see if they can help.
Do you know what the "program upgrade" consists of? Maybe it "fixes" the emission readiness tests to show compliance?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #21
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

I ended up ripping the kit off the car and selling it for pennies on the dollar. I could not get anything to work properly and unfortunately with over 3+ months and not being able to drive the car because of all the issues and a rejection sticker.

I ended up buying an ESS 585 kit (which I should of done the first time around instead of buying a cheaper product) and have had zero issues since. Get my inspection sticker with ease and car runs fantastic.

I am sorry you have this problem. Buying a software update and spending more money is not a valid option nor is it guaranteed.

Sorry I cannot be of more assistance. My only recommendation is honestly take the kit off. Buy a used ESS one or a new kit and now enjoy the car with no worries on your mind. 😊
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #22
thetastelingers
Master Baiter
Rep
Drives: 18 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 SOLD  [10.00]
2018 BMW M2  [9.67]
WOW.
Well maybe I can talk ESS into selling me that tune if VF won't help out.

Thank you for the reply.
Appreciate 0