BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

04-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #23
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

IMO the slip on does not increase sound nearly enough. It still sounds mainly stock, very quiet. Go evo!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 01:10 AM   #24
OM VT3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 zcp m3

i think my evo is to quiet might gut the cats to make it a little louder
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 06:26 AM   #25
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex37 View Post
Hi,

The second thing is thI've heard of a case where the deleter also cleared not only the CEL, but also other error indications which can lead to engine failure and damage. Do I need to worry about that?

Greetings from Germany!

Iliya

Who told you that? I can tell you the delete-r doesn't delete all codes.
      04-10-2012, 07:02 AM   #26
dex37
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
I saw it in a forum. There was a guy saying that he had a failure in the ignition coil and it didn't show up until he disconnected the delete-r.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 02:05 AM   #27
macakacheck
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CS

Thanks for all the suggestions, right now my FabSpeed x-pipe is already cat less but with resonators welded to OEM primary cat. So I assume if I get rid of the x-pipe's resonators and OEM primary cat will be good, right?
Then I think the only option I got will be full EVO then...
11 E93 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 02:21 AM   #28
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Quote:
It doesn't delete codes. It DOES reset the fault indicator. It resets it for everything. The codes are there... but how do you know they are there?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 02:23 AM   #29
dex37
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
It doesn't delete codes. It DOES reset the fault indicator. It resets it for everything. The codes are there... but how do you know they are there?
This is exactly what I'm worried about
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 06:12 AM   #30
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
Quote:
This is exactly what I'm worried about
Ok, I use a Bavarian Tech tool for code reads and haven't had codes erased due to the delete-r. I've tripped codes to test this in the past.
      04-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #31
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
save yourself the trouble and second installation fee. If you are already having doubts about the loudness of the Slip on, before it even arrives, you probably are looking for something significantly louder than stock. You will be disappointed. I was like you when I got the slip on, and then 3 weeks later ended up buying the other half. I liked the look of the slip on, the tone, but something was really missing. When i got the full system installed, boy was it night and day, and just PERFECT.

btw, the slip on is about 15% louder than stock AT BEST...maybe even 10%.. no one but other m3 drivers would notice it or hear it unless you were going WOT. I remember I had my brother drive the car with the slip on and i drove behind it, i really had to listen very carefully for the exhaust note. Now, with the full system, i did the same test and its just there and loud, you dont have to listen for the sound, u just hear it.

also have the deleter i want the tune, but im going to bite the bullet and wait for warranty to expire.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 12:28 AM   #32
macakacheck
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CS

since I already heard and personally drove the car with full EVO, I am going to left the full EVO as my last options (coz the sound is really not that loud to satisfied). I just ordered a Turner test pipe to take over the OEM primary cat. Hope the sound will be better than now. Thanks for all you guys suggestions, helps me out a lot!
11 E93 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #33
dex37
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ok, I use a Bavarian Tech tool for code reads and haven't had codes erased due to the delete-r. I've tripped codes to test this in the past.
In Bavarian we trust Hahaha, I'm joking. I am leaning towards the delete-r at first. The warranty here is only two years and three months have already passed. I will wait with the tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by estrader View Post
save yourself the trouble and second installation fee. If you are already having doubts about the loudness of the Slip on, before it even arrives, you probably are looking for something significantly louder than stock. You will be disappointed. I was like you when I got the slip on, and then 3 weeks later ended up buying the other half. I liked the look of the slip on, the tone, but something was really missing. When i got the full system installed, boy was it night and day, and just PERFECT.

btw, the slip on is about 15% louder than stock AT BEST...maybe even 10%.. no one but other m3 drivers would notice it or hear it unless you were going WOT. I remember I had my brother drive the car with the slip on and i drove behind it, i really had to listen very carefully for the exhaust note. Now, with the full system, i did the same test and its just there and loud, you dont have to listen for the sound, u just hear it.

also have the deleter i want the tune, but im going to bite the bullet and wait for warranty to expire.
Thanks for your comment. I will also install directly the Evo. I find the stock exhaust too quiet. It sounds good, but it is not loud enough. I like the bassy sound of the Evo at lower rpms that's what I am also missing with the stock. I think the Evo is the right one for me, because you get power gain, weight reduction, great build quality, sound and it look so much better than stock.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #34
atruelunatic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: n/a

(Didn't read the other posts, but offering my suggestion on how I tackled this same situation)

I first went with the Akrapovic slip on within 1 month of getting the car. Then I wanted a little more, but I was scared about dealing with warranty also. I decided to bite the bullet anyways after 3 months and went with the Evo and ESS tune and couldn't have been more happier. I got a CEL a week later from an O2 sensor, so I was scared about warranty issues. Just find a "mod friendly" service advisor and see what they will work with and won't work with. Mine told me that if I had another O2 sensor issue, I'd just have to come back with my OEM pipes. I suggest getting the mobile tune so you can flash back and forth between stock and tune yourself incase you need to go in for service. And when you get the tune, keep the speed limiter and rev limiter in tact. I hope you go for the Evo. Let me know if you want to hear/see any videos of it.
      04-13-2012, 05:46 AM   #35
dex37
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atruelunatic View Post
(Didn't read the other posts, but offering my suggestion on how I tackled this same situation)

I first went with the Akrapovic slip on within 1 month of getting the car. Then I wanted a little more, but I was scared about dealing with warranty also. I decided to bite the bullet anyways after 3 months and went with the Evo and ESS tune and couldn't have been more happier. I got a CEL a week later from an O2 sensor, so I was scared about warranty issues. Just find a "mod friendly" service advisor and see what they will work with and won't work with. Mine told me that if I had another O2 sensor issue, I'd just have to come back with my OEM pipes. I suggest getting the mobile tune so you can flash back and forth between stock and tune yourself incase you need to go in for service. And when you get the tune, keep the speed limiter and rev limiter in tact. I hope you go for the Evo. Let me know if you want to hear/see any videos of it.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I've decided to get the Evo. I just have to clarify things with TÜV, because it's not that easy here. The 100 cpsi CATs are not street legal in Germany, so you have to make a "special" arrangement with a "highly-qualified" technician. However, I will start with the Delete-R first. I will definitely get a tune later. In this way I can also appreciate the power gains more.

I have heard almost all youtube videos with the Akra, but it would be nice to hear yours too.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #36
atruelunatic
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your experience. I've decided to get the Evo. I just have to clarify things with TÜV, because it's not that easy here. The 100 cpsi CATs are not street legal in Germany, so you have to make a "special" arrangement with a "highly-qualified" technician. However, I will start with the Delete-R first. I will definitely get a tune later. In this way I can also appreciate the power gains more.

I have heard almost all youtube videos with the Akra, but it would be nice to hear yours too.
      04-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #37
dex37
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atruelunatic View Post
Thanks! I already know that video too
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #38
atruelunatic
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! I already know that video too
Haha, damn. You probably have seen them all then. Enjoy your new exhaust whenever you get it!
      04-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #39
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Dilemma solved
      04-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #40
MJM
BMW CCA Boston Chapter - Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, ZCP

Have you thought about adding a X-Pipe that retains the primary Cats?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 03:33 AM   #41
dex37
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Dilemma solved
Thanks! (I've seen that as well)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM View Post
Have you thought about adding a X-Pipe that retains the primary Cats?
Yes, I have, but I don't know anything that will offer the power gains of the Akra, weight savings, built quality, will sound good and will pass TÜV.

Last edited by dex37; 04-14-2012 at 05:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #42
dex37
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hi guys,

I've decided to listen to you and got the Evo installed on Friday. The build quality is exceptional. It looks and sounds amazing. I like the deep, bassy sound it makes. I guess that it will get even louder once it breaks in. For my taste it is not too loud, but also not quiet. Some people criticize the the fact, that the Evo is not much louder than stock at higher rpms, but that's OK with me, because I usually cruise at around 110-125mph at the Autobahn and I don't want an exhaust which will make my head explode.

Here is a video of the stock exhaust and Evo at cold start. And yes, you were right, videos cannot really capture the sound of the exhaust. I'll still make a few more, so that other guys who are interested in the exhaust might get an idea how it sound.

Appreciate 0