BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

06-02-2008, 05:02 PM   #23
Jack28
HUSTLER
Rep
Drives: E46 M3-E92 M3

So how is your turbo project going so far? Just to clearify you have a E92 M3 right?
When you spoke with AA and HPF's did they say if they are working on a turbo and/or sc for the E92 m3?

E92 M3 ZCP- AW/FR w/Extended Leather) Packages: ZCP, 6MT, Fully Loaded
E46 M3 - AW/IR 6 Spd, Fully Loaded. 19'' BBS LM DBK, V-CSL C/F Bmpr, Botld, Diff, V-CSL Custum IR-CF Center Counsel, V-GTR Hood, Dixis Ti 76mm, Meisterschaft Ti Sec. 1&2, EvoSport Headers, CAI, D/A Chip, tck d/a, Alcantera Headliner with Imola Red Sttitching....
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 11:35 PM   #24
ed021180
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 335ci, M3 on order

Cool AA

supercharger
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 07:17 PM   #25
Jack28
HUSTLER
Rep
Drives: E46 M3-E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed021180 View Post
supercharger
So AA is currently Working on a SCer for the E92 M3? Any Specs?

E92 M3 ZCP- AW/FR w/Extended Leather) Packages: ZCP, 6MT, Fully Loaded
E46 M3 - AW/IR 6 Spd, Fully Loaded. 19'' BBS LM DBK, V-CSL C/F Bmpr, Botld, Diff, V-CSL Custum IR-CF Center Counsel, V-GTR Hood, Dixis Ti 76mm, Meisterschaft Ti Sec. 1&2, EvoSport Headers, CAI, D/A Chip, tck d/a, Alcantera Headliner with Imola Red Sttitching....
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 02:38 AM   #26
ed021180
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 335ci, M3 on order

told you

hahahaa
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 02:49 AM   #27
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

what for?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 09:28 AM   #28
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

WTF?
      06-09-2008, 01:59 PM   #29
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Assuming both SC´s and turbos are done by professionals and reputable tuners (and this is a huge if), turbos will generally yield higher pressure and more power but are much more difficult to install (cooling must be massively increased and engine internals generally must change for low compression) as well as more difficult to calibrate. The end result may be better with turbos but because of the above, also more expensive! I will say that one advantage of SC´s is higher low end torque and no turbo lag. Depending on how powerful your car ends up being, turbo lag may not really matter since you can´t put all that power down to the ground effectively anyway.

Try Mosselman Trubo systems as well, they may have an SC system out just about now and are working on a turbo kit.
      06-09-2008, 02:22 PM   #30
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

The engine and chasis is perfectly balanced on the the M3, placing tons of more power and torque will unbalance this, if you want straightaway speed why not just get a Z06?

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 02:35 PM   #31
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

I agree the M3 is a great balanced car, but you can improve power while still keeping balance. Again, this is why these things should be done by reputable tuners/technicians. If you increase power, you should also increase braking etc… for instance, a stroker kit would certainly not add any weight to the front of the car (in fact maybe even reduce weight and balance is kept equal), but it would take you to say 520 bhp´s (a huge increase in power IMO), you can also add a BBK with light weight wheels that will improve braking, reduce unsprung weight, and improve performance, etc., etc… you get the point.

A trubo kid would be much trickier as you would be looking at some added weight but would have to seek to distribute this appropriately and in any event, if done very well and skillfully, will not decrease the car´s “curbing” performance (look to the GTR´s weight/performance ratio for instance).

Why not simply buy a C06? Cause the M3 is a great platform to start with (great chassis/engine) and I love the M3 and don’t the C06.
      06-09-2008, 03:27 PM   #32
Mickb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW/FR E92 M3 DCT

I also struggle a little with the "why" question on this issue. Now I just collected my car Friday, but it seems fantastically balanced to me and has just the right amount of power.

To me, this is often the motoring equivalent of a 24 handicap golfer buying mizuno blades. He would be far better spending the money on some instruction to improve his skills before buying clubs that he is not equipped to handle.

Mick

ps no reflection on anyone here since I don't know what level of driver anyone is, just a general musing on peoples quest for more and more horsepower.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 03:59 PM   #33
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
I think some people are just afraid of getting beat by tuned 335s
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 06:57 PM   #34
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickb View Post
I also struggle a little with the "why" question on this issue. Now I just collected my car Friday, but it seems fantastically balanced to me and has just the right amount of power.

To me, this is often the motoring equivalent of a 24 handicap golfer buying mizuno blades. He would be far better spending the money on some instruction to improve his skills before buying clubs that he is not equipped to handle.

Mick

ps no reflection on anyone here since I don't know what level of driver anyone is, just a general musing on peoples quest for more and more horsepower.
At least in my case this isn´t why I want more power. Hahaha! Not that I am a professional diver either by the way!! But, I do own other cars that have soooo much more power that I sort of have grown accustomed to lots of power on tap. So to me, the M3 does feel a tad slow. Plus, yes, although I have driven mine on track a couple of times already and am really highly impressed with the cars ability, I do want to have that reserve power on tap when that 911TT shows up on longs. Yes, I do want to blow him away. Period!! Sorry, to me, power is great!! Especially in a very well balanced vehicle. Tuning many times ruins the balance but not if done properly and with $$$.
      06-10-2008, 04:18 AM   #35
Mickb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW/FR E92 M3 DCT

Well that is fair enough. You seem to have thought it through!!!

Incidentally, is your car MT or DCT? I wonder how much torque the BMW DCt can handle, because this is the reason Audi for example have never put the VW/Audi DSG box on their performance cars.

Will be interesting to see how tuners cope with this, or if some of the kits will be limited to MT cars only.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 11:18 AM   #36
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickb View Post
Well that is fair enough. You seem to have thought it through!!!

Incidentally, is your car MT or DCT? I wonder how much torque the BMW DCt can handle, because this is the reason Audi for example have never put the VW/Audi DSG box on their performance cars.

Will be interesting to see how tuners cope with this, or if some of the kits will be limited to MT cars only.
My car is a 6MT. And you are absolutely correct regarding torque limits. For instance, the most powerful Mercedes AMGs such as the SL65 AMG (even the new one), the CLK DTM AMG, the SLR McLaren etc… have the 5 speed auto since the 7 speed auto will simply not handle the torque (the . Sometimes the way these guys replace torque is by having a greater number of smaller gears to keep torque up there. Cars that have a lot of torque don´t need so many gears as they can´t put the power down efficiently anyway. In one of my cars, AMG actually greatly re-enforced even there 5 speed gear box to withstand huge torque. So it seems that some of these gearboxes are designed around “lower torque” and it still has to be seen what tuners will do with the M-DKT.
      06-28-2008, 02:34 PM   #37
snck
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB Coupe, DCT, CF Roof, 19"

I am pretty sure the DCT is rated for 500 HP and 9000 RPM. Not sure where I read that but those numbers stuck in my head.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 05:26 PM   #38
M-bitious
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

DCT can handle up to 600Nm of torque. (devide by 1,37?)
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 11:17 AM   #39
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Yea 600NM sounds like it wounldn't be too much to handle.