BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Closed Thread

04-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #155
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snig View Post
My response was to AussieM3's statement that an update couldn't be performed with the controller installed. I stated that the update could be updated with the controller installed, as a fact, having firsthand experience, where AussieM3 states he has no firsthand experience. The misinformation is not about who could do it, but whether it could be done or not. Dealerships were never mentioned until now.

All you had to do was ask for more information instead getting amped up over a forum post.
You kind of forgot who created this thread, dude.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...0&postcount=95

This is not a pissing contest, and only you are calling names like a child. Multiple times in this thread several people -that really know and have done more than you- have stated that no dealer will be able to update the car with a P/N that is not part of the VO. Why it was repeated several times? Because we want forum members to know all the facts behind this unofficial retrofit/swap before they actually go ahead and buy parts and then find out these small details that could block a warranty update of the car.

So you got an aftermarket coder to update your car bypassing the controller. Good. I said that a little more than 3 years ago. You should have repeated so and moved on without really looking like an ass yourself.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #156
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
You kind of forgot who created this thread, dude.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...0&postcount=95

This is not a pissing contest, and only you are calling names like a child. Multiple times in this thread several people -that really know and have done more than you- have stated that no dealer will be able to update the car with a P/N that is not part of the VO. Why it was repeated several times? Because we want forum members to know all the facts behind this unofficial retrofit/swap before they actually go ahead and buy parts and then find out these small details that could block a warranty update of the car.

So you got an aftermarket coder to update your car bypassing the controller. Good. I said that a little more than 3 years ago. You should have repeated so and moved on without really looking like an ass yourself.
You're right, this isn't a pissing contest. It has quickly escalated into a Technic ego trip.

AussieM3 and I are square.

When I posted my initial response using my phone (opting not to read all 8 pages on a mobile device), I interjected at a point where it was called into question the possibility of updating with the controller. Sure, I didn't go into detail, and in looking at the question asked and the time I replied, dealership was not mentioned once. I just wanted to get the point across that there were alternatives after a quick glance. I don't read this thread every day for new replies unlike some people. I am all for getting the right info out to other owners and thought I was squashing information.

Oh forgive me great and powerful Technic, Lord of the Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav sub-forum of M3post. How will we ever retrofit new technology without you?! Have mercy!

How hard was it to take an LCI controller, plug it in, test to see if it works, then go from there. Not exactly rocket laundry, but yes, you did it first and many on here have acknowledged your one small step for man in the retrofit department. But it's not exactly the Higgs-Boson. Someone would have figured it out eventually, like Calculus. You're like Newton and some Joe Schmuckatelli on the boards with an idea that the controller might swap, is Leibniz.

<3,

Snig

*It's the internet, let's just take a deep breath and
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #157
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

I can play the stupid game too, that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snig View Post
You're right, this isn't a pissing contest. It has quickly escalated into a Technic ego trip.

AussieM3 and I are square.

When I posted my initial response using my phone (opting not to read all 8 pages on a mobile device), I interjected at a point where it was called into question the possibility of updating with the controller. Sure, I didn't go into detail, and in looking at the question asked and the time I replied, dealership was not mentioned once. I just wanted to get the point across that there were alternatives after a quick glance. I don't read this thread every day for new replies unlike some people. I am all for getting the right info out to other owners and thought I was squashing information.

Oh forgive me great and powerful Technic, Lord of the Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav sub-forum of M3post. How will we ever retrofit new technology without you?! Have mercy!

How hard was it to take an LCI controller, plug it in, test to see if it works, then go from there. Not exactly rocket laundry, but yes, you did it first and many on here have acknowledged your one small step for man in the retrofit department. But it's not exactly the Higgs-Boson. Someone would have figured it out eventually, like Calculus. You're like Newton and some Joe Schmuckatelli on the boards with an idea that the controller might swap, is Leibniz.

<3,

Snig

*It's the internet, let's just take a deep breath and
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #158
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
I can play the stupid game too, that's all.

maddddddd.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #159
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

wtf just happened?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #160
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
wtf just happened?
The calling of names in a technical thread (the post was conveniently edited). That's what happened.

Last edited by Technic; 04-17-2013 at 08:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #161
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

anyways..let's get this back on track...There's quite a bit of meaningful contributions in regards to this swap.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #162
AW750Li
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3,335,750Li,X5,X3

hey guys i have a 2008 e90 m3 and im unsure of which controller to buy... can anyone lead me in the right direction? thank you
      04-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #163
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW750Li View Post
hey guys i have a 2008 e90 m3 and im unsure of which controller to buy... can anyone lead me in the right direction? thank you
Use the P/N at the beginning of the thread... if that is superseded by another P/N then that will be it.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #164
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
On a serious note, don't people read the threads properly and keep asking the same question that has been asked a multiple times. No wonder the threads grow without substance.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #165
AW750Li
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
On a serious note, don't people read the threads properly and keep asking the same question that has been asked a multiple times. No wonder the threads grow without substance.
I did search and couldn't find anything but thank you for your worthless comment
      04-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #166
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I did search and couldn't find anything but thank you for your worthless comment
This is another worthless comment just for you... http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...22&postcount=4
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #167
AW750Li
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is another worthless comment just for you... http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...22&postcount=4
Thank you I appreciate it
      04-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #168
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
i just did this a few months ago, so my post had fresher data regarding P/N for controllers:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=136
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #169
JFWM3
JFWE92M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 M6 Gran Coupe 6MT

HELP!!

Okay need some help.

My car is a February '08 build. Bought the 6mt '09 upgrade package from Tischer, put in the controller and it lights up but wont function. I knew that was a risk.

There is a ton of stuff in this thread and I basically want to know two things.

1. What do I request the Dealer to do in terms of software upgrade. The dealers can be conservative and dopey sometimes so I want to be specific in my instructions.

2. When they do the upgrade, is it done with the '08 controller or the '09 controller installed. If it is with the '08 controller I assume I just install the '09 when I get home.

Let me know guys and thanks!!!!

05-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #170
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFWM3 View Post
Okay need some help.

My car is a February '08 build. Bought the 6mt '09 upgrade package from Tischer, put in the controller and it lights up but wont function. I knew that was a risk.

1. What do I request the Dealer to do in terms of software upgrade. The dealers can be conservative and dopey sometimes so I want to be specific in my instructions.
1) Remove new controller
2) Install old controller
3) Tell dealer that your car is acting up because of "xxx" -search the forum for SIBs that require software updates. For example, if you have M-DCT then complain about slow shifting. That should be enough for a software update.

Quote:
2. When they do the upgrade, is it done with the '08 controller or the '09 controller installed. If it is with the '08 controller I assume I just install the '09 when I get home.

As stated before several times, a dealer update cannot be performed if OEM parts not factory installed in your production-build car are present.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #171
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Okay need some help.

return the car to the original state, reinstall the old controller before taking it in for the update.

You can either tell him you need an update for some reason, or you can elect to pay for the update. Seperately, local coding services can also do it for you in lieu of the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #172
JFWM3
JFWE92M3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
return the car to the original state, reinstall the old controller before taking it in for the update.

You can either tell him you need an update for some reason, or you can elect to pay for the update. Seperately, local coding services can also do it for you in lieu of the dealer.

Thanks, very helpful.

Is the software update for the I-Drive only or for the whole vehicle? My dealer said there is no I-Drive specific software update. My car is out of warranty, but I was going to just tell another dealer that I go to that my I-Drive is running slow and froze once to get the update.

Also, my car is ESS supercharged. I trust the updated software would not effect any engine related software?

05-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #173
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, very helpful.

Is the software update for the I-Drive only or for the whole vehicle? My dealer said there is no I-Drive specific software update. My car is out of warranty, but I was going to just tell another dealer that I go to that my I-Drive is running slow and froze once to get the update.

Also, my car is ESS supercharged. I trust the updated software would not effect any engine related software?
dealer will only update engine and i-drive software together. Since you have the ESS and likely tuning software associated with it, I would opt to have the tuner to update the i-drive for you. Hopefully, you can find someone local.

I did just the opposite. I did the cic controller swap, then I wanted the engine software update. Had I taken it to the dealer, i would have had to put in my old controller b/c they do engine and idrive together. Instead, I took my car to a local coder, who was able to only update the engine software and left my idrive software alone. It saved me money since he was cheaper than the dealer and the hassle of swapping controllers again.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #174
JFWM3
JFWE92M3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
dealer will only update engine and i-drive software together. Since you have the ESS and likely tuning software associated with it, I would opt to have the tuner to update the i-drive for you. Hopefully, you can find someone local.

I did just the opposite. I did the cic controller swap, then I wanted the engine software update. Had I taken it to the dealer, i would have had to put in my old controller b/c they do engine and idrive together. Instead, I took my car to a local coder, who was able to only update the engine software and left my idrive software alone. It saved me money since he was cheaper than the dealer and the hassle of swapping controllers again.

Thanks Mdoso, you have been a lot of help.

I will try Bimmersport in Mississauga. Hope it works, I want to rid the old I-Drive knob.

Regards,

JFW

05-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #175
JFWM3
JFWE92M3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Mdoso, you have been a lot of help.

I will try Bimmersport in Mississauga. Hope it works, I want to rid the old I-Drive knob.

Regards,

JFW
Bimmersport says they can do this which is great!

05-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #176
DopeM3
M Power
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

What's the P/N exact I need for an 05/08 built?

I wonder if all the iDrive controllers are the same. I mean, they look the same to me.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread