BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Another one Bites the Dust ....

... and what some folks had to say about it ... I'm glad I got back into my M3 after two Z4's ~grin~ I knew too what I was missing

Thought I share with you fellows what I picked up on my iPhone while waiting at the hospital to pick someone up.

2009 BMW M3: Parting Shots

Another one bites the dust. That's right, our 2009 BMW M3 sedan is gone. We didn't quite make 20,000 miles, but the 19,000 we did manage were good ones.

A fine car that represented the M3 thing better than a coupe, since the whole point of the M3 is combining street civility with speed. After all, anyone can build a race car and put license plates on it. That said, BMW's new Getrag-built dual-clutch automated manual transmission would have better suited the nature of a four-door sedan than this car's six-speed manual.

Michael Jordan, Executive Editor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I like it a lot, unless you're nads to the wall, this thing is a chore. Not my fav daily driver and I actually prefer the (egads!) Audi S5.

Al Austria, Vehicle Evaluation Engineer

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's quite rare for me to be repeatedly enamored with a long-term vehicle throughout our one-year loans, yet every time I drove the M3 it wasn't just a transportation process, it was a celebratory event.

Karl Brauer, Editor-at-Large

My parting thoughts: I like the idea of having a useful backseat in a fun car, but it seems you can't quite have it both ways: Our M3 sedan felt a little too big on tight back roads. It was a joy on the open highway, though, where I would always hope I'd enough space to let the 4.0-liter V8 rip. I'll never forget the way it howls at high rpm, which sort of atones for the nasty sounds it makes at idle.

Erin Riches, Senior Editor

Say what you will Nurburgring laps times. Quote price-versus-quarter-mile performance. Complain about badge snobbery all you want. Until you've actually driven a BMW M3, this generation--any generation--you will never understand why people praise this car with emotional evidence and not statistical glurge.

It is because of cars like the BMW M3 that I chose this career.

The BMW M3 was not designed, engineered, or equipped to a budget--at least not in the ways one could see, feel, or measure.

When all other sport sedans go to sleep in their garages, they dream of being M3s.

Chris Walton, Chief Road Test Editor

In lieu of sending in his parting shot, Riswick simply drooled. Then wept upon hearing the M3 was gone. It wasn't pretty.

Mike Magrath for the barely functional James Riswick, Automotive Editor

Fun to the tenth degree. I wish I could hold it in my cold embrace forever. WC

Warren Clarke, Automotive Content Editor

That car is one I would own without hesitation. It's everything I want: fast, comfortable, utilitarian...and it looks better as a sedan. But I don't want red leather.

Josh Jacquot, Senior Road Test Editor

I've seen plenty of cars come and go through the long-term program, but none of them had me running the numbers as often as this M3. It wasn't the fastest, most luxurious or even the best looking, yet every time I drove it, I wanted to keep it.

Ed Hellwig, Lead Senior Editor

Unlike the same trait in humans, the M3's Jekyll und Hyde nature was quite endearing to me. An easy going friend when I had to negotiate L.A.'s notorious traffic, the M3 morphed into the life of the party when open canyon roads tempted us.

John DiPietro, Automotive Editor

Without a doubt the BMW M3 sedan is a car I would buy with my own hard earned money.

Scott Oldham, Editor-In-Chief

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even my memories of those red seats make me recoil. But, man, was it ever a great car to drive. There are only a handful of cars in our long-term fleet that I'd consider worth my own money. This is one of them.

Mike Schmidt, Vehicle Testing Manager

The BMW M3 was always the car I hated when I read car magazines as a kid. It didn't make sense compared to the Vettes and Mustangs that had V8s and cost half the price. Now I'm driving everything on the road instead of reading about it, that all makes sense: The M3, even with a V8, is damn-near perfect for an enthusiast's toy.

Mike Magrath, Vehicle Testing Assistant

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sent from my iPhone

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
weaksauce
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 M3 6MT AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RD View Post
Sent from my iPhone
This just in. Wow.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

what is the meaning of this
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
+1

I... don't... understand...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
NoM3ForMe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 Legacy, '07 Kia Sorrento

I think he is just sharing the world-wide love this car fosters.
      10-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
kerrit
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red e90 M3

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
2014 M5 CP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoM3ForMe View Post
I think he is just sharing the world-wide love this car fosters.

just suck it up and buy a used 2008 e90!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
NoM3ForMe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 Legacy, '07 Kia Sorrento

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrit View Post
just suck it up and buy a used 2008 e90!

We need to meet up for coffee, and I need to see the mods you have had installed.
      10-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #8
kerrit
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red e90 M3

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
2014 M5 CP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoM3ForMe View Post

We need to meet up for coffee, and I need to see the mods you have had installed.
for sure.

i'm going to start trolling your posts about you needing to buy an M3
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 12:29 AM   #9
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Nice Rolf. So how long did this take you to type it up on your iPhone?
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #10
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Not sure what this has to do with the title but I already know these things they say
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #11
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

I remember reading all these quotes back when the possibility of getting an M3 was just a distant thought in my brain. Now, after owning one for several months, they all ring so much more true. I still do love reading this kind of praise and desire from others for a car I can say I actually possess. Hasn't stopped being a dream come true for me...

"Until you've actually driven a BMW M3, this generation--any generation--you will never understand why people praise this car with emotional evidence and not statistical glurge."
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #12
bga23
Dirty old man
Rep
Drives: 2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfpro View Post
He sent it from his laptop and just added "Sent from my iPhone" for the hell of it.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #13
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
2 day likely.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Actually .... I read it on my iPhone while waiting at the hospital ... then the little devil in my head told me ... "hey your friends at M3Post might like to read it too" (as if they don't know already how nice there car is).

Anyway so the little devil got the better of me and I copied and pasted it then e-maild it to myself. Once home I did use the laptop to share it with you.

Some of you asked "What does it mean?"

During my copy and paste I missed a bit of the text ,,, it should have read ....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~
Another one bites the dust. That's right, our 2009 BMW M3 sedan is gone. We didn't quite make 20,000 miles, but the 19,000 we did manage were good ones.

Read the Wrap-Up, and then come back to read our Parting Shots and provide your own.

A fine car that represented the M3 thing better than a coupe, since the whole point of the M3 is combining street civility with speed. After all, anyone can build a race car and put license plates on it. That said, BMW's new Getrag-built dual-clutch automated manual transmission would have better suited the nature of a four-door sedan than this car's six-speed manual.

Michael Jordan, Executive Editor

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~

My bad sorry about that

If any of you like to read the Wrap-Up let me know by messaging me I'll be happy to send you the link.

I hate to get into the doghouse with the Moderator posting the link here.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #15
warranty
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 sedan

My E90 6MT M3 is my daily driver and it's the same car I use to drop off and sometimes pick up my two little boys everyday.

Just driving to preschool is indeed an event for my boys because they know they get treated to race car induction sounds and fierce acceleration they don't get in mommy's SUV. They both literally laugh out loud when I accelerate hard in 2nd (when it's safe, of course), and that makes it all the more fun.

Yeah there are other cars that are better at certain things than my M3, but I literally cannot think of any other car that combines the performance, utility, and fun-to-drive-ness of my M3. And how else do I show my boys what a "real car" is if it didn't have a clutch pedal and a proper manual?

As you can tell, I love my M3. An M3 is just one of those cars every enthusiast dreams of owning at one point or another in his/her life time.

P.S. I actually read the entire Edmunds "history" of their long term 2009 M3 sedan so I remember all those comments that Rolf posted. Thanks for sharing!

2008 6MT M3 sedan
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #16
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warranty View Post
My E90 6MT M3 is my daily driver and it's the same car I use to drop off and sometimes pick up my two little boys everyday.

Just driving to preschool is indeed an event for my boys because they know they get treated to race car induction sounds and fierce acceleration they don't get in mommy's SUV. They both literally laugh out loud when I accelerate hard in 2nd (when it's safe, of course), and that makes it all the more fun.

Yeah there are other cars that are better at certain things than my M3, but I literally cannot think of any other car that combines the performance, utility, and fun-to-drive-ness of my M3. And how else do I show my boys what a "real car" is if it didn't have a clutch pedal and a proper manual? [Yes!!!]

As you can tell, I love my M3. An M3 is just one of those cars every enthusiast dreams of owning at one point or another in his/her life time.

P.S. I actually read the entire Edmunds "history" of their long term 2009 M3 sedan so I remember all those comments that Rolf posted. Thanks for sharing!
I did the exact same thing before I bought mine.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #17
warranty
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesaddiction View Post
I did the exact same thing before I bought mine.
Haha, judging by your signature pic you also have two little ones and, from one dad to another, I know exactly why your kids have those big smiles on their faces! Daddy's rocket sled it is indeed!

2008 6MT M3 sedan
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #18
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaksauce View Post
This just in. Wow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11 View Post
+1

I... don't... understand...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Not sure what this has to do with the title but I already know these things they say
Quote:
Originally Posted by bga23 View Post
He sent it from his laptop and just added "Sent from my iPhone" for the hell of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
2 day likely.
Please refer to post 15 above ...

Continued Happy Motoring

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #19
Detroit M3
Major
Rep
Drives: Murdered E92 M3

Haha nice post
      10-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #20
weaksauce
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 M3 6MT AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaksauce View Post
This just in. Wow.
When I posted that, I was referring to the fact that it seemed that he posted all that from his iphone.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #21
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warranty View Post
Haha, judging by your signature pic you also have two little ones and, from one dad to another, I know exactly why your kids have those big smiles on their faces! Daddy's rocket sled it is indeed!
And one on the way! My car has always been "Daddy's fast car" just because of the way I drive, but it really is awesome to now have a truly special car to share with them and build a love of automobiles and driving in them.

Well before I was born, my dad owned a 356 B Super 90 (and then an old 911), but had to give them up once my older brothers came around. Just the knowledge that he had those cars as a young man, and his continued love of driving and knowledge of cars planted the seed in me.

I know that every time the kids are in my car, I'm building strong memories of fun times with their "old man".
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #22
///Machine
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 / '11 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RD View Post

When all other sport sedans go to sleep in their garages, they dream of being M3s.

Chris Walton, Chief Road Test Editor
Thank you for sharing. This is one of my favorite quotes ever! Ever!
Appreciate 0