BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

07-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #221
monkawekrue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25 X3 AW

Garage List
      08-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #222
Pinz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
I think the profit from the M3 E9x series, very likely, exceeded BMW expectations.
When you evaluate what the M3 did for BMW profit you need to go beyond just E9X M3 production numbers. You need to consider the effect of the reputation of the M3 on the sale of other BMW series cars. For example, were more 3/5/7 series cars sold because of the E9X M3 performance (racing, magazine comparisons, etc.) accomplishments over its 5 year lifespan? Judging simply from the M logos on wheels and other M options bought by 3/5/7 customers, I think the answer would be "yes." How do you measure that effect? Go to the BMW Balance Sheet and look for the line item titled something like "Goodwill." That will give you a clue.
I totally agree with that. It's not just about a single model making profit from the sales, but the effect the flagship M-car has on BMW as a whole. The M3 is the reason I got into BMW in the first place, and it's the reason my wife wants a BMW as her next car. If it wasn't for the M3, I probably wouldn't be considering other BMW models in the future. But when a company can make a car like the M3, it says a lot about the company and makes me have more faith in their other models, knowing they come from the same manufacturer. Granted, the sales of the M3 weren't spectacular, but it made BMW look good and is for sure making me excited about their future M3/M4.

The only debate I have is whether to keep the E92 M3, or "upgrade" to the new M3/M4 when it comes out. I have a feeling the naturally aspirated engine will last quite a while if properly maintained, compared to a turbo engine. I always had the idea that turbos were harder on the engines, thus making them wear out quicker.
      08-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #223
TTSam
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

The last true (literally) M3 coupe which is naturally aspirated should have been saved for the BMW museum.

Can`t believe it would be a customer order.

MT is also appropriate as it is also sadly becoming a relic of days gone by.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #224
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
I think the profit from the M3 E9x series, very likely, exceeded BMW expectations.
When you evaluate what the M3 did for BMW profit you need to go beyond just E9X M3 production numbers. You need to consider the effect of the reputation of the M3 on the sale of other BMW series cars. For example, were more 3/5/7 series cars sold because of the E9X M3 performance (racing, magazine comparisons, etc.) accomplishments over its 5 year lifespan? Judging simply from the M logos on wheels and other M options bought by 3/5/7 customers, I think the answer would be "yes." How do you measure that effect? Go to the BMW Balance Sheet and look for the line item titled something like "Goodwill." That will give you a clue.
I can agree with all of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinz View Post
I totally agree with that. It's not just about a single model making profit from the sales, but the effect the flagship M-car has on BMW as a whole. The M3 is the reason I got into BMW in the first place, and it's the reason my wife wants a BMW as her next car. If it wasn't for the M3, I probably wouldn't be considering other BMW models in the future. But when a company can make a car like the M3, it says a lot about the company and makes me have more faith in their other models, knowing they come from the same manufacturer. Granted, the sales of the M3 weren't spectacular, but it made BMW look good and is for sure making me excited about their future M3/M4.

The only debate I have is whether to keep the E92 M3, or "upgrade" to the new M3/M4 when it comes out. I have a feeling the naturally aspirated engine will last quite a while if properly maintained, compared to a turbo engine. I always had the idea that turbos were harder on the engines, thus making them wear out quicker.
Same here many years ago. [WARNING: micro-CSB ahead] Also years ago I met the person that eventually became my wife. She came from a Mercedes Benz lovers family. It was a family tradition to buy the MB without even looking at BMWs. My future wife drove an MB as well...the family thing. After she drove a BMW she began a process of turning away from MB in favor of BMW. Since we've been married she's passed on the MBs in favor of BMWs. Does what I did count as a conversion of a lost soul to the BMW faith?
      08-24-2013, 11:36 PM   #225
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau Rouge View Post
Does what I did count as a conversion of a lost soul to the BMW faith?
it does. now BMW has to keep restoring all of our faith.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 01:09 AM   #226
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps

I am sure this one will be marked up to around 150k because it's the last M. I have already seen one at 115 or 125k.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #227
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
The last purpose-built ///M engine that we'll see in a loooooong time. End of an era for BMW.

My E92M is the only BMW I ever bought, even though I had been a fan of the brand ever since I first laid eyes on an E21 as a 6-year old boy. I was a particular fan of the 2002, the E34, the E36M -- god did I want an E36M so badly -- the E36/8M, the E46M CSL, and the E90M CRT. I tried getting into an E46M back in 2001, but I couldn't afford it. I'm glad I finally got to live the BMW experience with my E92M. I know it's heavier and more refined than the BMWs that I grew up coveting, but that S65 more than made up for it. What a glorious engine.

Sadly, I think this will be the last new BMW I'll get into for the foreseeable future. I was seriously considering getting the F86 when that comes out, but I have a hard time believing that it won't be even softer and less involving than this generation of ///M cars. And, frankly, I don't want a turbo engine. To that, I've resolved to trade in for a CPO E90M and then get a 981 Cayman R whenever that car comes out. Lightweight, NA, rear-wheel drive, with a good manual transmission. No need to get one car that tries to do two things poorly when I could get two that do different things really well. The E90M for hauling people around quickly, and the 981CR for a proper driving experience.

I hope BMW comes around and makes a proper driver's car again sometime in the future. I really do think the company was at its best when it was making those kind of cars.
^+1 This is

Last edited by OC ///M; 08-26-2013 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 03:23 AM   #228
TTSam
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Last M3 Rolls off the Line Article

I know there was another thread on this, but not this link as far as I know.

Should have made the title of the thread last E92 M3.

What are the white cars before and after - i3's I assume - if so how ironic, and look how many of them are on that line?

http://www.tflcar.com/2013/07/modern...assembly-line/

Last edited by TTSam; 09-04-2013 at 03:33 AM.. Reason: Sp
Appreciate 0