BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

07-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #67
TeRRoRiFiC35
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 87ss View Post
You guys feel bad for waitresses and waiters what about delivery people... They make even less after gas and wear and tear on their vehicle... Very few places provide drivers with a vehicle and the $1.00-$1.50 delivery charge that some places tack on to the bill isn't much. Food for thought I guess...
That's a very good point. I don't like to have food delivered for this very reason (plus I feel lazy if I don't pick it up myself).

Half the time when I go to a restaraunt I feel it would be easier if I was the one able to go get my food and bring it to the table. I would rather tip the person cooking my food than a waiter/waitress because ideally all the waiter/waitress does it write down the order, pass it off to the ones actually responsible for preperation, and sometimes give it to you. A lot of the time I feel a waiter/waitress can be eliminated by having a computer at the table to make orders and you get the food/drink yourself when it is ready.

This is a somewhat relatable story. I used to work at Lowe's Home Improvement and if anyone needed to have their car/truck/van loaded, I was usually the guy there who would do it. I never expected a tip to do that because I felt it was part of my job. Often times I would say "that's not necessary" but if the person insisted I would take it. Most times I preferred to help do that because it was nicer outside than having to work at the register or at the door as security.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #68
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
We afford the things we have by NOT giving money away.
I don't "give" money away either, but I don't walk out of a restaurant leaving zero tip when the waiter did nothing wrong. Like I said before, the OP is assuming a lot by thinking he brought out $5's as the smallest bills thinking he would get that for his tip. If the OP really wanted singles, he should have corrected the guy and said, "Hey, I need singles for this $5." Instead, he took the easy way out and just left. Why so afraid to confront the waiter?

He also said the service was "marginal." To me, that's pretty vague. Personally, I think the OP was just looking to justify a reason to be cheap.

If you want to be cheap then that's fine, lots of people are cheap. Just don't try to hide behind the fact that there was some sort of conspiracy against you by the waiter when there probably wasn't.
      07-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #69
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean335i View Post
I always leave $5 dollars regardless of the meal cost. I dont care if its a 10 dollar meal or a 200 dollar meal I always leave $5

It is what it is
Pathetic

Quote:
We afford the things we have by NOT giving money away.
Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Kinda shocked at some of the cheap asses in here that drive BMW's... Then again, I guess I shouldn't be...
+100
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #70
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeRRoRiFiC35 View Post
A lot of the time I feel a waiter/waitress can be eliminated by having a computer at the table to make orders and you get the food/drink yourself when it is ready.
There are restaurants that already have computer/tablet/ipads available at the tables for ordering. Our company is currently testing a few different options. There are some logistical challenges to making it work but it certainly changes the role that a server plays in the dining experience.

Primary inhibitor at the moment is the cost of the technology. Buying enough $200 computer menus for a full service, high volume restaurant is cost prohibitive for most. That being said, it is the future of menus.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #71
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
There are restaurants that already have computer/tablet/ipads available at the tables for ordering. Our company is currently testing a few different options. There are some logistical challenges to making it work but it certainly changes the role that a server plays in the dining experience.

Primary inhibitor at the moment is the cost of the technology. Buying enough $200 computer menus for a full service, high volume restaurant is cost prohibitive for most. That being said, it is the future of menus.
Already done in Japan. One iPad at each table for sushi-go-rounds. Prepare for no moar tips!
      07-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #72
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 87ss View Post
Didn't read through each post... Have worked in the food service industry...

The flipside/anecdote: I over tipped a waiter and they later tipped themselves an additional $10 on a $20 meal... You guys feel bad for waitresses and waiters what about delivery people... They make even less after gas and wear and tear on their vehicle... Very few places provide drivers with a vehicle and the $1.00-$1.50 delivery charge that some places tack on to the bill isn't much. Food for thought I guess...
Having worked as a delivery driver in a past life, of that delivery charge, we very rarely saw much more than 50 cents of it if we were lucky. That charge actually hurt our tips as it went up simply because people would think that we were getting all of it so we didn't need more.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #73
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
I don't "give" money away either, but I don't walk out of a restaurant leaving zero tip when the waiter did nothing wrong. Like I said before, the OP is assuming a lot by thinking he brought out $5's as the smallest bills thinking he would get that for his tip. If the OP really wanted singles, he should have corrected the guy and said, "Hey, I need singles for this $5." Instead, he took the easy way out and just left. Why so afraid to confront the waiter?

He also said the service was "marginal." To me, that's pretty vague. Personally, I think the OP was just looking to justify a reason to be cheap.

If you want to be cheap then that's fine, lots of people are cheap. Just don't try to hide behind the fact that there was some sort of conspiracy against you by the waiter when there probably wasn't.
Not being cheap at all. I am not going to reward poor or marginal service. Society has created an environment where the consumer feels guilty for not tipping. Why is it only the waiters that deserve a tip...when was the last time you tipped the gas pump attendant, etc. It shouldn't be up to the consumer to decide a fair wage to the server. I have been to restaurants where tipping is not permitted. To compensate the charge for meals is slightly more. No pressure/no guilt.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #74
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Not being cheap at all. I am not going to reward poor or marginal service. Society has created an environment where the consumer feels guilty for not tipping. Why is it only the waiters that deserve a tip...when was the last time you tipped the gas pump attendant, etc. It shouldn't be up to the consumer to decide a fair wage to the server. I have been to restaurants where tipping is not permitted. To compensate the charge for meals is slightly more. No pressure/no guilt.
I guess it's different in Canada...?

I don't know of a "full service" gas station near me, so I pump my own gas, but if I came across one and the guy did what he was supposed to (pumped gas, washed windows, checked oil, etc) then I'd probably throw him a bone. It's not because I feel "obligated" to give them a tip, it's because I appreciate what they are doing if they do a good job.

Bringing out the wrong (in the OP's eyes) change, especially when the OP never asked for singles, doesn't make the service during the meal marginal. Maybe the OP can chime in with exactly why the service was "marginal at best?" Or maybe, like I said before, the OP was just looking for an excuse and that was it... Nowhere in the thread does the OP mention what was so bad about his service.
      07-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #75
MrClean335i
FBO+Methanol Injection
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
pathetic
Could care less
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 11:12 PM   #76
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:

It's a little ridiculous to say he did "nothing wrong." He clearly didn't do things correctly and at least should have given some sort of explanation. Any competent waiter would know bringing back zero singles on such a cheap meal would seem like a douchey move.

Looking back, I don't feel bad at all. Now I wish I took the 50 cents too...

Regarding what someone else said...I actually do see people with means being more careful with money. Poorer people do seem to tip better despite bad service. Just a feeling I have based on my experience...no idea if it's true. I am a good tipper when service is good or even pretty good. This guy was marginal and made a dumb move.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #77
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
It's a little ridiculous to say he did "nothing wrong." He clearly didn't do things correctly and at least should have given some sort of explanation. Any competent waiter would know bringing back zero singles on such a cheap meal would seem like a douchey move.

Looking back, I don't feel bad at all. Now I wish I took the 50 cents too...

Regarding what someone else said...I actually do see people with means being more careful with money. Poorer people do seem to tip better despite bad service. Just a feeling I have based on my experience...no idea if it's true. I am a good tipper when service is good or even pretty good. This guy was marginal and made a dumb move.
You really have no idea why he brought the $5 instead of singles. And you were too lazy or scared to confront him and correct him on the spot by saying something like, "Hey, get me some singles for this $5."

Wondering why you still don't seem to want to say what was so bad about his service that he didn't deserve a tip in the first place...

Last edited by Templar; 07-19-2012 at 08:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #78
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

It's never the customers fault.

But it would of been better to just of asked for singles out of the $5. If I were you and didn't mention anything, I would of left him nothing instead of the 50 cents. The 50 cents was kind of an ass thing to do....
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 10:39 PM   #79
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
You really have no idea why he brought the $5 instead of singles. And you were too lazy or scared to confront him and correct him on the spot by saying something like, "Hey, get me some singles for this $5."

Wondering why you still don't seem to want to say what was so bad about his service that he didn't deserve a tip in the first place...
You're right, I was scared.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 12:49 AM   #80
Lloyd
Networking Geek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Subaru STi 5dr

Garage List
Douche move. Ask for change and tip right or don't eat at sit down restaurants.
      07-20-2012, 11:07 PM   #81
shaun671
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Sparkling Graphite e92 MT

Not giving small denominations is a trick servers do...not saying this was the waiters intent, but it could have been. Most people would give the $5 and not worry about having to go through the hassle of breaking change and tipping $4...the extra $1 doesn't seem so bad. In this case, if the waiter was pulling a fast one then his trick backfired on him. If he wasn't playing this trick...then he got screwed.

Unless the service was noticeably bad, I would have either just tipped the $5 or had him make change.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 11:54 PM   #82
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
In your mind, I would look even worse when a 2010 BMW is an extremely low end car for what I could have actually purchased. Maybe a 458?

But your point isn't valid...having the means to give a bigger tip doesn't mean you do it. I could have left a $500 tip too...not the point.

I'm surprised you actually still have the balls to keep replying to this thread.

Your cheapness bothers me. I'll do myself a favor, and not reply again in here.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 12:00 AM   #83
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post

the 'ol two $5's and a $10 trick is simply leveraging. i can think of a lot of other situations where if i felt like i was being leveraged, i would tell the person to hump a beehive. i don't see how servers are any different when they are trying to guilt money out of my pockets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
I don't carry cash, problem solved.
Plus you get to write and draw all of the receipts!
Same here, just write in the exact tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post

I am not against tipping but these days the way tipping is going it is becoming like a tax to where it is not an option but part of the bill on each when one goes out to eat. Tipping should remain an option by each individual to choose on whether or not they should tip. I don't mind tipping but what I do think many people out there do mind is it being forced upon them like a tax of some sort.
A sense of entitlement.

Quote:
Kinda shocked at some of the cheap asses in here that drive BMW's... Then again, I guess I shouldn't be...
I do not think OP is cheap. If he was, he could have dropped the 20 and walked.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 07:40 AM   #84
karliejai
Da Kid
United_States
Rep
Drives: JetBlack e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angerman View Post
It's never the customers fault.

But it would of been better to just of asked for singles out of the $5. If I were you and didn't mention anything, I would of left him nothing instead of the 50 cents. The 50 cents was kind of an ass thing to do....
customers are always right that statement makes me laugh everytime. its even funnier when people live by that rules and think they can get away with everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthepsycho View Post
Already done in Japan. One iPad at each table for sushi-go-rounds. Prepare for no moar tips!
A good server would be able to read the person that you are and make suggestions/recommendations, answer questions that you have about the food/drinks/ingredients, anticipate your needs. Try that with an iPad.

I am guessing some of you guys really dont know how to dine out and enjoy the experience. Most of these shitty tippers are usually the one that demand the most attention and wish the server would treat them like a king. Picking on everything and keep justifying whatever reason you have for being cheap. Please do not dine out and waste other people's time and effort for creating a pleasant experience for you.

How someone treats the waitstaff and tipping accordingly actually reflect a lot about a person. Try dining with your clients/friends and they see you leaving a shitty tip and see how what kind of impression you make...

MODS: OEM Front Splitter | ACS Roof Spoiler | OEM Trunk Spoiler | Matt Black Front Grill | Black Shadowline Window Trim | Painted Front Lower Rod | Blacklines | JDM Yellow Fogs | Custom Silver CF Headlights with LUX 4.0 | Eisenhaus Sports Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #85
///MC
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I don't think you are cheap at all. Waiter sure a hell will make sure $1 bills are with the next guests check, or he will just hope that the 9 out of 10 people leave the $5 bill and play the odds.
I work in sales and if I don't do my job I get absolutely nothing. I get paid off of my own effort and damn sure guarantee that I put 100% in at all times. I have no one to blame but myself.
The waiter can depend on the kitchen and bar tenders, but I don't base tips off of that. If they are not friendly and make sure that I have everything I need within reason, you don't deserve 20%. Good tips are for above and beyond service.
Call me cheap, I don't care. I have given plenty of outstanding tips for great service, but have also given no tips when I leave pissed off. If the server doesn't like it, step the fuck up or go get a job with a salary you think you deserve.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 05:52 AM   #86
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by karliejai View Post
A good server would be able to read the person that you are and make suggestions/recommendations, answer questions that you have about the food/drinks/ingredients, anticipate your needs. Try that with an iPad.
They do that... Without a tip. If you offer them a tip, they'll be insulted.

Good service is part of the job requirement. I tip well but still think tipping is retarded if it's socially expected... Just say it's a service fee and add 20% It's like taxes. Don't write me a ticket for public safety, just charge me a speeding tax.