BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

01-02-2008, 04:27 AM   #1
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

2009 NSX (ASCC) Concept

there was a post back in 06 about this, but this features a dramtically different car (i guess they really went back to the drawing board lol)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1Za6WYvbk-M

from what ive read, instead of a mid-mounted v6, the new NSX may feature a front-mounted v10. honda/acura says that theyre gunning to compete with the aston martin DB9
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 06:58 AM   #2
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

After the last NSX( a mid engine v6), there was always the rumour of it being replaced by a v10. A mid engine platform is very costly to develope.Due to cost saving benefits, they moved back to a front engine concept.

Anyway, the old NSX was very expensive for it's own benefit and , it was a complete failure. I hope the new NSX is successful. A front engine V10 AWD supercar sounds very interesting. I hope it ain't too overpriced.

In my opinion, it should be something around the 911 turbo price
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
OverDrive
CHEAT TO WIN!!
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 718 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBI_agent View Post
After the last NSX( a mid engine v6), there was always the rumour of it being replaced by a v10. A mid engine platform is very costly to develope.Due to cost saving benefits, they moved back to a front engine concept.

Anyway, the old NSX was very expensive for it's own benefit and , it was a complete failure. I hope the new NSX is successful. A front engine V10 AWD supercar sounds very interesting. I hope it ain't too overpriced.

Thew GT-R has the same platform: AWD Front engine. I think Acura is trying to compete with the GT-R.
________
KAWASAKI VN1600D
________
Magic flight launch box
________
VAPORIZER AFFILIATE
________
How to boil

Last edited by OverDrive; 04-14-2011 at 08:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 10:03 AM   #4
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
honda/acura says that theyre gunning to compete with the aston martin DB9
interesting...why would Honda bother to try to compete with the DB-9? i mean its not really "competition." Aston Martin makes high quality, luxurious, sporty cars - but they're still known to be heavy cars that only perform on average on the track when compared to other cars geared toward track use...and Honda will produce something that is far from heavy. look at the old NSX for instance - despite being down on power to most other sports cars, it puts most of them to shame when driving anything other than a straight line.

Quote:
Anyway, the old NSX was very expensive for it's own benefit and, it was a complete failure. I hope the new NSX is successful. A front engine V10 AWD supercar sounds very interesting. I hope it ain't too overpriced.

i'm assuming you only mean that the NSX was a financial failure for Honda? also, IMO an NSX for the price of a 911 Turbo IS overpriced. the original NSX cost significantly more than a 911 Carrera in its day, and performed no better. so unless they add 100+ HP AND maintain the same or better handling capabilities, it will be overpriced @ anything over $100k.
      01-02-2008, 10:15 AM   #5
LI E90
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

horrible, looks like what the next S2000 should look like
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 11:21 AM   #6
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

Looks OK. I wish they had kept it mid engined though. The HSC concept was perfect. But i guess a mid engined V10 cost too much to make.

Knowing Honda, they will get this thing right the first time. I hope its a low displacement V10 with a high redline.

And i dont know how you could say that the NSX was a failure. It was one of the most important cars of the last 30 years. Not only did it arrive as a Ferrari/Porsche fighter, it also showed that supercars could be very reliable. The only bad thing about the NSX was that Honda took too long to update the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 05:43 PM   #7
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94JZA80 View Post
i'm assuming you only mean that the NSX was a financial failure for Honda? also, IMO an NSX for the price of a 911 Turbo IS overpriced. the original NSX cost significantly more than a 911 Carrera in its day, and performed no better. so unless they add 100+ HP AND maintain the same or better handling capabilities, it will be overpriced @ anything over $100k.

Yeh, I was referring to the financial failure. Yeh, the new V10 engine is bound to produce over 500hp, according to sources. So with the history of NSX pointing at a overpriced car, I think the price is going to be in between 911 turbo and gt2 , that is 130k & 190k..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 05:57 PM   #8
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverDrive View Post
Thew GT-R has the same platform: AWD Front engine. I think Acura is trying to compete with the GT-R.
Yeh, but GTR is a turbo's V6 and , NSX will have a high revving V10.

Anyway, price wise, no competition. Honda/Acura cannot make a low priced almost super car like Nissan.To prove my point, the last NSX with a mid engine V6 was like 90k. The new GTR is going to be around 71k(+mark up by dealers) which is a sweet deal for a car that performs better then a 911 turbo.

I am also aware of the fact that the next NSX won't be mid engine. But keep in mind, Honda/Acura has never made a car with more then 6 cylinders. So the cost of making a V10,that also high revs, is gonna hike the price of the car dearly, above 100k on MSRP.

So Acura can try to compete with GTR, but GTR will always triumph. Simple reason being the price.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 07:57 AM   #9
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

Quote:
But keep in mind, Honda/Acura has never made a car with more then 6 cylinders. So the cost of making a V10,that also high revs, is gonna hike the price of the car dearly, above 100k on MSRP.
on the contrary, Honda had plenty of experience building 3.0L V10's in Formula One prior to the switch to 2.4L V8's. granted your statement is correct regarding Honda's production vehicles, but Honda will undoubtedly make use of their F1 experience and technology to build the next gen NSX's V10 if in fact a V10 will be the powerplant. just look at the newest BMW M5 and M6. the development of S85 V10 was strongly influenced by BMW's F1 program...of course they wound up with cars that fit your description exactly - high revs and high cost. therefore i don't think the high cost will come from the "tons of R&D" they'll have to do, b/c most of that was accomplished during the F1 era when small displacement V10's were used. i'd have to guess the bulk of the cost comes from simply trying to incorporate F1 technologies into street a legal car, rather than the R&D itself. i just pray it won't be much more expensive than the last NSX.
      01-04-2008, 06:31 AM   #10
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94JZA80 View Post
on the contrary, Honda had plenty of experience building 3.0L V10's in Formula One prior to the switch to 2.4L V8's. granted your statement is correct regarding Honda's production vehicles, but Honda will undoubtedly make use of their F1 experience and technology to build the next gen NSX's V10 if in fact a V10 will be the powerplant. just look at the newest BMW M5 and M6. the development of S85 V10 was strongly influenced by BMW's F1 program...of course they wound up with cars that fit your description exactly - high revs and high cost. therefore i don't think the high cost will come from the "tons of R&D" they'll have to do, b/c most of that was accomplished during the F1 era when small displacement V10's were used. i'd have to guess the bulk of the cost comes from simply trying to incorporate F1 technologies into street a legal car, rather than the R&D itself. i just pray it won't be much more expensive than the last NSX.
+1
Yeh , I hear you on the price, but we can only hope. My money is on the price being over 100k at least. Reality bites
Appreciate 0