BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

01-05-2009, 10:52 PM   #1
Accord
U.S. Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Coupe (MB Red)

Volunteer Firefighters and their M3's

So how many guys on here are volunteer firefighters? I'm a volunteer FF and i'm trying to figure out a good lightbar setup for my M3.

I can put red lights behind the grill or red LED's in the head and tail lights, or just simply get an LED lightbar across the top of my windshield held on by suction cups. Trying to find something on www.galls.com

To all the volunteer FF's on here, what kind of setup do you use? And post pics if you got them.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 11:07 PM   #2
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i'm not a volunteer FF but know of one who is, he drives an E60 M5 and he just has the one that goes on the dash....a light bar on the windshield is much cleaner so you should definitely try to stick that route

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 12:12 AM   #3
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm assuming a light bar is like those flashing lights? Why would you install that in your "civilian" car?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 12:21 AM   #4
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sard View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm assuming a light bar is like those flashing lights? Why would you install that in your "civilian" car?
+1 ... why do you eve need those lights if you are a volunteer ?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 12:48 AM   #5
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

I guess in order to get fast to the fire station? Whats why he needs an M3 also!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 06:57 AM   #6
Patricius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 325xi, 05 M3 cpe, 08 M3 cpe

You guys haven't ever seen a civilian car with blue lights flashing? Perhaps you don't live near firehouses :P
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 07:29 AM   #7
BRDHNTR
Ground Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 BMW M3

Garage List
2002 M3  [0.00]
2008 e92 M3  [0.00]
You could probably get some lights mounted in the Kidney Grille and just put the switch on the steering column underneath the wheel. That way your passangers don't see it and "accidentally" turn them on.

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 07:29 AM   #8
BRDHNTR
Ground Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 BMW M3

Garage List
2002 M3  [0.00]
2008 e92 M3  [0.00]
Oh and I want to see a video when this is done.

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 08:15 AM   #9
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
It's a Pennsylvania thing. You can't throw a rock without hitting some yahoo with blue lights on driving 46 in a 45.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 08:42 AM   #10
D1911
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 S2k

I'd get some low profile ones that you don't have to fuss with and can leave them on your car all the time and not get in the way.

I've seen this one in action and it works really well. Mounts to your vanity mirror. (watch the video)
http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...og&style=DL188

And this one for your rear deck. (This one has a lot of positive reviews)
http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...og&style=GR241
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #11
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

I wouldn't suggest the grille. It's too low and other people on the road won't see them. The higher the better for visibility, which is the point of lights.

This is common where ever there is volunteer fire departments. Since the FF's must drive their personal cars either to the fire department or directly to the fire.
      01-06-2009, 10:54 AM   #12
Bikerjoy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
It's a Pennsylvania thing. You can't throw a rock without hitting some yahoo with blue lights on driving 46 in a 45.
      01-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #13
Accord
U.S. Marine
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
+1 ... why do you eve need those lights if you are a volunteer ?
Because we ARE volunteers, that's why we need them. Unlike paid firefighters we don't live at the station when we're on call and drive our civilian vehicles to the station when we get a call and in order to get there ASAP and speed in a safe manner we install lights in our cars, it's a safety issue. Every state has laws on what volunteer FF's are allowed to have as far as emergency lighting goes and here in North Carolina you can have pretty much anything you want so long as it's not blue AND red flashing which is reserved for police only. Some states it's red only, other states blue only, some states govern the amount of lights you're allowed to have, etc. but where I live you can get whatever you want pretty much.

Just imagine an ambulance or police car trying to respond to an emergency without any flashing lights, response times would take forever and getting through even the smallest amount of traffic would be extremely dangerous and the amount of accidents involving emergency vehicles would skyrocket.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #14
Accord
U.S. Marine
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1911 View Post
I'd get some low profile ones that you don't have to fuss with and can leave them on your car all the time and not get in the way.

I've seen this one in action and it works really well. Mounts to your vanity mirror. (watch the video)
http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...og&style=DL188

And this one for your rear deck. (This one has a lot of positive reviews)
http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...og&style=GR241
I have 15% tint on my rear window, think that would hinder the visibility of the light in any way?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 05:58 PM   #15
rouxeny
Living the aloha
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Just out of curiousity, do you guys get any formal training on how to drive with the lights on?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 08:01 PM   #16
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxeny View Post
Just out of curiousity, do you guys get any formal training on how to drive with the lights on?
The lights do not allow you to speed, run red lights, fail to stop at stop signs or any break any other normal driving laws. So special training is not really necessary. All it's supposed to do is warn other drivers so that hopefully they pull over and let you through so you don't get stuck in traffic.
      01-06-2009, 08:55 PM   #17
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accord View Post
Because we ARE volunteers, that's why we need them. Unlike paid firefighters we don't live at the station when we're on call and drive our civilian vehicles to the station when we get a call and in order to get there ASAP and speed in a safe manner we install lights in our cars, it's a safety issue. Every state has laws on what volunteer FF's are allowed to have as far as emergency lighting goes and here in North Carolina you can have pretty much anything you want so long as it's not blue AND red flashing which is reserved for police only. Some states it's red only, other states blue only, some states govern the amount of lights you're allowed to have, etc. but where I live you can get whatever you want pretty much.

Just imagine an ambulance or police car trying to respond to an emergency without any flashing lights, response times would take forever and getting through even the smallest amount of traffic would be extremely dangerous and the amount of accidents involving emergency vehicles would skyrocket.
Really, your allowed to speed cause you are a VF? I doubt that.
no disrespect intended>
      01-06-2009, 09:11 PM   #18
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accord View Post

I didn't know about that . I mean here in CA we don't have anything like that. And yes, if you drive ambulance or police car which is considered to be a special vehicle you definitely need to have lights ... But your M3 is not an ambulance nor a police car, that's why I was surprised. And I highly doubt that you can speed and put in danger other drivers without going through a special course or having some kind of permit.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 09:11 PM   #19
Zed
Replicant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E90 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
The lights do not allow you to speed, run red lights, fail to stop at stop signs or any break any other normal driving laws. So special training is not really necessary. All it's supposed to do is warn other drivers so that hopefully they pull over and let you through so you don't get stuck in traffic.
And they pull over? I sure wouldn't pull over around here for an unmarked obviously civilian car with flashy lights... I've seen several jokers in this area that go around doing the flashy light thing for kicks to people. Not to mention some people that have been pulled over with legit seeming lights only to get car jacked as a result.

But then... I don't camp in the fast lane.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 09:48 PM   #20
Reedomn
Major
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan/RR Velar/C8

sell the M3...and get a real firefighting machine!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 10:01 PM   #21
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 11:01 PM   #22
Accord
U.S. Marine
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
I didn't know about that . I mean here in CA we don't have anything like that. And yes, if you drive ambulance or police car which is considered to be a special vehicle you definitely need to have lights ... But your M3 is not an ambulance nor a police car, that's why I was surprised. And I highly doubt that you can speed and put in danger other drivers without going through a special course or having some kind of permit.
That's because all the high taxes you pay in California enable the state and cities to pay for professional paid firefighters... more than 60% of American fire departments are completely volunteer, but you'll never know it because we're extremely good at what we do. Here in North Carolina there are very few completely paid fire departments and almost the entire state are volunteers except for a couple big cities like Raleigh and Charlotte.

The process to be a VFF isn't easy, you don't just decide to volunteer one day and you go countless hours of training, need to get the same certifications as paid FF's in big city departments as well as probationary periods and other things before you're ever allowed to respond to calls.
Appreciate 0