BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

12-05-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
F9T
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Anyone have a pic of a 1/2 clear bra on a dark colored car?

I am getting a clear bra put on my IB e90 this week and I think I might just go with the 1/2 hood and fenders. Does anyone have a picture of a 1/2 clear bra on a dark colored car that I can see? I want to see what the line in the middle of the hood and fenders looks like.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
Twinbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ....

Don't have a picture of mine but if I could do it again I would cover the whole hood.
The line shows up after washing but when dry it is almost invisible. It's just knowing the line is there.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

My Interlagos Blue M Coupe has a clear bra that goes up about 12 inches onto the hood. Might be good reference. It's been on for 4 years. In the pictures, you can see some of the edge on the fenders, but hard to tell on the hood in pictures.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602520

Look at the front wheel pics as well as one ones with the hood up to get a reference of where the bra is.

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
cghempel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Would you consider Space Grey dark enough? I was flipping through my pictures but I cannot find any that really show the line

Mine is cut about 3 inches in front of the "power dome" on the hood. Overall I am happy and the line does not bother me much and is not all that visible either. The hardest part is keeping wax from getting up against it every time I detail my car. Spend a little time getting the excess wax off and you shouldn't have a problem (especially important on a black car).
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
F9T
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinbo View Post
Don't have a picture of mine but if I could do it again I would cover the whole hood.
The line shows up after washing but when dry it is almost invisible. It's just knowing the line is there.
So the only “issue” you have with it is the line across the hood? It’s funny, because as crazy as I am about my cars the line doesn’t really bother me. I had it on my orange Porsche and I just kind of got used to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BeastCharmer View Post
My Interlagos Blue M Coupe has a clear bra that goes up about 12 inches onto the hood. Might be good reference. It's been on for 4 years. In the pictures, you can see some of the edge on the fenders, but hard to tell on the hood in pictures.
Look at the front wheel pics as well as one ones with the hood up to get a reference of where the bra is.
Thanks. I actually saw yours in a FS thread, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cghempel View Post
Would you consider Space Grey dark enough? I was flipping through my pictures but I cannot find any that really show the line

Mine is cut about 3 inches in front of the "power dome" on the hood. Overall I am happy and the line does not bother me much and is not all that visible either. The hardest part is keeping wax from getting up against it every time I detail my car. Spend a little time getting the excess wax off and you shouldn't have a problem (especially important on a black car).
Probably not dark enough, but thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 06:30 PM   #6
bvernon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Convertible

why not wrap the entire hood? check out the Mid Atlantic sub forum and you can see my pics from 3 weeks ago. I did a full frontal clip with Auto Armour (in MD) which includes entire hood, rocker panels, front bumper, A-pillars, etc. IMO the half bra doesn't look good on a dark car. Usually the cost is a few hundred more but well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 07:07 PM   #7
F9T
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvernon View Post
why not wrap the entire hood? check out the Mid Atlantic sub forum and you can see my pics from 3 weeks ago. I did a full frontal clip with Auto Armour (in MD) which includes entire hood, rocker panels, front bumper, A-pillars, etc. IMO the half bra doesn't look good on a dark car. Usually the cost is a few hundred more but well worth it.
The cost is double and I just don't know if I want to spend that much...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #8
pro-tect mobile
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8

What color are you looking for? I am sure I have photos of something very close (if not that color). I have thousands of pics.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #9
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrytroop22 View Post
I am getting a clear bra put on my IB e90 this week and I think I might just go with the 1/2 hood and fenders. Does anyone have a picture of a 1/2 clear bra on a dark colored car that I can see? I want to see what the line in the middle of the hood and fenders looks like.
I am having a bad experience with ClearBra presently on my daughter's '08 335i. The material has "clouded" (no other way I can describe it), and I'm about to tell the ClearBra folks to either replace it or remove it. Honestly, it really detracts from the looks of her car.

I'm not here to trash the product, but I would appreciate advice on what she or I did wrong to cause this, if that is what happened. I'm on the road right now, else I'd enclose a quick shot of it.
      12-05-2011, 09:29 PM   #10
Ateam
Banned
Rep

I never understand this. You put a clear bra to prevent the hood and bumper from looking bad in a few years, yet you have the bra look like shit for the entire time. Why not just get it resprayed after 4 years for a couple grand and not have to live with the fugly bra?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 10:11 PM   #11
F9T
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
I never understand this. You put a clear bra to prevent the hood and bumper from looking bad in a few years, yet you have the bra look like shit for the entire time. Why not just get it resprayed after 4 years for a couple grand and not have to live with the fugly bra?
It doesn't look bad if done properly, and I am not cool with repainting cars for any reason.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 11:08 PM   #12
Ateam
Banned
Rep

your not cool with repainting a bumper? Bizarre
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #13
F9T
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Bizarre? Are you serious? There is no way to match the factory paint perfectly and lots of people feel the same way as I do. It is not like we are talking about a Honda Civic here. A car loses value as soon as it is repainted.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 02:14 AM   #14
F9T
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-tect mobile View Post
What color are you looking for? I am sure I have photos of something very close (if not that color). I have thousands of pics.
Interlagos blue.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 08:45 AM   #15
Raz335
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Convertible

Quote:
Bizarre? Are you serious? There is no way to match the factory paint perfectly and lots of people feel the same way as I do. It is not like we are talking about a Honda Civic here. A car loses value as soon as it is repainted.
Agreed. Repainting should be avoided when possible. It hurts resale and you can't replace the curing process that OEM paint goes through. When I'm looking to buy a car and I find out it's been repainted, it's automatically off my list. Opens up too many scenerios for why the car was repainted in the first place.

As for clear bra, I went through the same decision when doing my hood. My car is Jerez Blck and I decided to spend extra and do the whole hood. I knew I wouldn't be happy with the line across the middle. I suggest you do the same. If it's a thought in your mind, I have a feeling you'll always be looking at it and regreting not doing the whole thing.

Jerez Black/Fox E93 M3 - Prem 2/Cold/Conv/DCT/EDC/19's/Ext Lthr/Crbn Trim/Enhanced Sound/Sat
Mods- 20" BBS LM's DBK/Challenge Catback/Eibachs/Trim wrapped black/Lux Angel eyes/35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #16
pro-tect mobile
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
I am having a bad experience with ClearBra presently on my daughter's '08 335i. The material has "clouded" (no other way I can describe it), and I'm about to tell the ClearBra folks to either replace it or remove it. Honestly, it really detracts from the looks of her car.

I'm not here to trash the product, but I would appreciate advice on what she or I did wrong to cause this, if that is what happened. I'm on the road right now, else I'd enclose a quick shot of it.
What material did she go with? Some films have a tendency to cloud early on.... thats why I dont install them. If it is only a few years old it will be covered under warranty. I am not aware of any films on the market that have a warranty under 5 years... so you will be fine there. It is possible that she is no maintaining it well. Dont use anything abrasive on it. Do not use the brush at the car wash, and dont use any petroleum based waxes/cleaners on it. Other than that it should be fine unless it is poor quality film.

Keep us posted on what happens. I would also like to know what film it is and what the installer says.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #17
pro-tect mobile
Private
Rep

Quote:
The bumper or any other part of the car for that matter. It will never match perfectly due to some of the colors these days... plus factor in sun fade over a few years. And not to mention the time you will be without the car... which could be extended if you want it to match perfectly. I have had people go without their car for months because the paint could not be properly matched. And with todays factory paints being water based, you will get chips very quickly.

Anytime a car is resprayed the next buyer/dealer is going to assume it was damaged in a wreck. The resale value will take a big hit. No getting around it.

If the clear bra is properly installed and is a good quality film you wont have any issues with it. And if you do for some reason it is covered under warranty. So no driving around for 4 years until you finally decide to get it resprayed.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #18
bvernon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
This comment makes no sense.......
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #19
bvernon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Interlagos blue.
I've seen the 1/2 bra on black and navy blue cars and as another member commented, the issue is keeping the edge across the hood clean. On a dark car as soon as the pollen and dirt hits it you'll need to clean it often with a cleaning agent on a Qtip or something similar, otherwise you'll see the line going across your hood. IMO, the price should not be double to wrap the entire hood but if you use Venture Shield product the installing company can cut one sheet for the entire hood. A full frontal clip (in this area) will cost about $1,100-$1,200 but that includes full hood, bumper, lights, rocker panels, side mirrors.....I've done this on 2 cars and it is worth the extra few dollars......
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #20
MUFCbmwbear
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M2 & 20 M340xi

yea, just keep the lines clean. You can really Sandusky yourself if you get a lot of wax/gunk on there.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #21
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-tect mobile View Post
What material did she go with? Some films have a tendency to cloud early on.... thats why I dont install them. If it is only a few years old it will be covered under warranty. I am not aware of any films on the market that have a warranty under 5 years... so you will be fine there. It is possible that she is no maintaining it well. Dont use anything abrasive on it. Do not use the brush at the car wash, and dont use any petroleum based waxes/cleaners on it. Other than that it should be fine unless it is poor quality film.

Keep us posted on what happens. I would also like to know what film it is and what the installer says.
Her appt is at the dealership tomorrow morning. The sevice was sold through the dealer as the genuine ClearBra product when I bought her car. I'm not uber-savvy on the different products, but my assumption is that ClearBra sells one product type. The ClearBra folks tried to polish it out the last time we took the car in for some service items, and when we picked the car up (after closing time of course) it still did not remedy the issue.

Thanks for the note back! I'll post a photo of the outcome if they fix/replace it.
      12-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #22
pro-tect mobile
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
Her appt is at the dealership tomorrow morning. The sevice was sold through the dealer as the genuine ClearBra product when I bought her car. I'm not uber-savvy on the different products, but my assumption is that ClearBra sells one product type. The ClearBra folks tried to polish it out the last time we took the car in for some service items, and when we picked the car up (after closing time of course) it still did not remedy the issue.

Thanks for the note back! I'll post a photo of the outcome if they fix/replace it.
Clear bra is the general product name. There are many different films out there... and once installed they are a clear bra. I bet it was a cheap product as dealerships will tend to go with the cheapest price they can get from an outside company. once it is sold the dealership really isnt liable for it... although they should be. I do a lot of dealership work and they are only worried about their profit margin... not the quality of the product. But if there are enough complaints they have to find another installer because it reflects poorly on the dealership. Keep us posted and make sure to ask the installer what film they used.
Appreciate 0