BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

07-03-2006, 12:45 PM   #1
BevoRules
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 M3

Question Education Please - M3 upgrades ?

hello all,

i'm happy to report that i'm on the list at my local dealer for the new M3 - IT WILL BE MY FIRST M CAR. i'm curious what are the typical options that BMW has offered in the past on the M3 cars - or just M cars in general? is there a basic package (i assume there is) and then BMW offers many options on top of that? if so, what are the options...performance related (not that it really needs more than what this one will already have), external appearance related, internal appearance related, etc.?

also, several folks i work with are also big BMW enthusiasts and claim they know everyting about M cars. they both claim that it is fairly easy to remove the governor that BMW puts on the cars to reduce the top speed. this seems pretty fishy to me, does anyone know on the current M cars, if these governors can be removed easily w/o risking the performance of the engine.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2006, 04:23 PM   #2
Smoltz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04 Challenge Stradale + 02 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoRules
hello all,

i'm happy to report that i'm on the list at my local dealer for the new M3 - IT WILL BE MY FIRST M CAR. i'm curious what are the typical options that BMW has offered in the past on the M3 cars - or just M cars in general? is there a basic package (i assume there is) and then BMW offers many options on top of that? if so, what are the options...performance related (not that it really needs more than what this one will already have), external appearance related, internal appearance related, etc.?

also, several folks i work with are also big BMW enthusiasts and claim they know everyting about M cars. they both claim that it is fairly easy to remove the governor that BMW puts on the cars to reduce the top speed. this seems pretty fishy to me, does anyone know on the current M cars, if these governors can be removed easily w/o risking the performance of the engine.

Congrats! It'll be a tough wait till the car is released and eventually arrives, but I think the new M is going to be quite impressive. If you're looking for an idea of what options and features will be available, your best bet is to go to www.bmwusa.com and build an M3, the standard features an options will generally stay the same.

As for removing the governor, it is quite easy, any of the aftermarket software upgrades, but the existing M3 runs over 160 stock, so I wouldn't be too worried about it.

-Adam
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2006, 07:34 PM   #3
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston DBS-R

Choices

Being an 02" M3 owner your biggest choices will probably be interior colors and trim. BMW offers more now than ever. Just go to BMWUSA.com and build a new M5 and you'll see what I mean. LOTS of combinations.....

You got some time so spend it wisely on figuring out what colors, exterior and interior you want. As swatches become available online look at those, but my best advice would be to go to a dealership and look at current M3's and M5's and see what colors you like best. Just remember the new M3 will use mostly the new M5's interior and exterior colors now that the E46 M is out of production.....

Good Luck and Cheers!..........
Appreciate 0