BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

08-29-2009, 01:48 AM   #1
EDELWEISS
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6sp AW FR EDC NAV

TPMS Sucks Caution !

My TPMS system on the M3 is messed !

I have HRE 890R wheels and you cannot get the senors to fit properly to utililize the valve stem on the sensor to inflate the tire with air. You must use a secondary mount inside the wheel in order for it to sit flush. The stem on the sensor cannot be accesed from the out side of the wheel.

The problem I first had was my sensor on a front wheel got knocked off i I assume a pot hole caused this , my wheel shook like it was out off balance , but no TPMS malfunction light . I assumed the sensor was still working.

Second accurance was the rear wheel , I had a rotational noise as if i had a nail in the tire that you could detect only at low speeds, by the time I checked it out I realized the sensor had been knocked off on the inside of the wheel , wheen i pulled back the tire the sensor was in peices destroyed !. I just removed it and never reinstalled a new one , I Never got a TPMS malfunction yet

Last weekend my steering wheel started to shake , i assumed another sensor fell off on the front wheel sensor mounting again because I had the same symptoms as the first time , I was far from home so i continued to drive , when i got to the shop and took off the tire to check the wheel i found the tire was flat and the wheel was slightly bent , I had to replace the tire as it was ruined from the inside and get the wheel straightened . No TPMS error ever!

Im driving now missing two sensors and the light still hast come on

Anyone have any explanation for this ? My light be constantly on.

One time I had a flat tire error , I checked the pressures and all was good , reset idrive and never came back

Spoke to the dealer and they feel it has to do with the aftermarket wheels , but i havnt took it in yet .

Should the dealer if the system is found not to be working reinburse my aftermarket tire at least I know I should have maybe checked my pressure when the wheel started to shake a bit but I was on a Highway close to Whistler Mountain

Anyways any sujjestions or similar experiance would be helpfull .

Cheers
      08-29-2009, 06:19 AM   #2
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
My TPMS system on the M3 is messed !

I have HRE 890R wheels and you cannot get the senors to fit properly to utililize the valve stem on the sensor to inflate the tire with air. You must use a secondary mount inside the wheel in order for it to sit flush. The stem on the sensor cannot be accesed from the out side of the wheel.

The problem I first had was my sensor on a front wheel got knocked off i I assume a pot hole caused this , my wheel shook like it was out off balance , but no TPMS malfunction light . I assumed the sensor was still working.

Second accurance was the rear wheel , I had a rotational noise as if i had a nail in the tire that you could detect only at low speeds, by the time I checked it out I realized the sensor had been knocked off on the inside of the wheel , wheen i pulled back the tire the sensor was in peices destroyed !. I just removed it and never reinstalled a new one , I Never got a TPMS malfunction yet

Last weekend my steering wheel started to shake , i assumed another sensor fell off on the front wheel sensor mounting again because I had the same symptoms as the first time , I was far from home so i continued to drive , when i got to the shop and took off the tire to check the wheel i found the tire was flat and the wheel was slightly bent , I had to replace the tire as it was ruined from the inside and get the wheel straightened . No TPMS error ever!

Im driving now missing two sensors and the light still hast come on

Anyone have any explanation for this ? My light be constantly on.

One time I had a flat tire error , I checked the pressures and all was good , reset idrive and never came back

Spoke to the dealer and they feel it has to do with the aftermarket wheels , but i havnt took it in yet .

Should the dealer if the system is found not to be working reinburse my aftermarket tire at least I know I should have maybe checked my pressure when the wheel started to shake a bit but I was on a Highway close to Whistler Mountain

Anyways any sujjestions or similar experiance would be helpfull .

Cheers
If it is a Canadian car,you do not have the TPMS system so your sensors would be useless.The system used is Canada is based on rotational speed differences and is great because you do not need the sensors in the wheels for your track tires or winter setups unlike our US friends.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 07:58 AM   #3
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Let me get this straight, you bought a set of after-market wheels that are incompatible with the OEM TPMS system, and you're blaming the system?

I've purchased HRE wheels before, and they very clearly provide info on their web page that some of their wheel designs are incompatible with some TPMS systems. Those designs can use an alternative mounting method which involves banding the sensor to the inside of the barrel, and it sounds like your installer did a bad job.

I fail to see how "TPMS sucks" in your case. You didn't do your wheel selection homework properly, and it sounds as if your installer did a bad job of mounting the sensor. However, it sounds like your car is Canadian as noted by another poster above, and your car is equipped differently.

Last edited by foosh; 08-29-2009 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 08:38 AM   #4
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by foosh View Post
Let me get this straight, you bought a set of after-market wheels that are incompatible with the OEM TPMS system, and you're blaming the system?

I've purchased HRE wheels before, and they very clearly provide info on their web page that some of their wheel designs are incompatible with some TPMS systems. Those designs can use an alternative mounting method which involves banding the sensor to the inside of the barrel, and it sounds like your installer did a bad job.

You say you never received an "error." There is no such thing on TPMS. You either get a warning of low pressure, or you don't. If you break the sensor (like having it roll around loose inside your wheel), you won't get a message (obviously). All TPMS systems used on all makes work the same way.

I fail to see how "TPMS sucks" in your case. You didn't do your wheel selection homework properly, and it sounds as if your installer did a bad job of mounting the sensor. However, it sounds like your car is Canadian as noted by another poster above, and your car is equipped differently.
Go talk to your shop, if anyone is to blame it's them for a poor installation and you for thinking it has anything to do with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 10:13 AM   #5
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I bought some TPMS from a Canadian dude who bought some wheels from a US dude. That should tel you something.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 08:50 PM   #6
EDELWEISS
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
If it is a Canadian car,you do not have the TPMS system so your sensors would be useless.The system used is Canada is based on rotational speed differences and is great because you do not need the sensors in the wheels for your track tires or winter setups unlike our US friends.
Thanks for the info , I did not know this . None the less I had the flat tire monitor come on last weekend and when i checked the pressure all was good. I still think this system if flakey
      09-08-2009, 09:03 PM   #7
EDELWEISS
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
Go talk to your shop, if anyone is to blame it's them for a poor installation and you for thinking it has anything to do with BMW.
Im not blaming bmw or hre for my sensors falling off just the tires and how low profile they are, System still did not warn me of a flat tire even when it was low
      09-10-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
nd54
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: RDSport RS 46

If you have a Canadian car why do you have TPMS sensors installed?? We have a flat tire monitor instead, and do not need the sensors since our system uses the ABS and wheel rotation speed. Take the rest of your sensors out and have your wheels checked and balanced before re-mounting.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 04:46 PM   #9
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
Thanks for the info , I did not know this . None the less I had the flat tire monitor come on last weekend and when i checked the pressure all was good. I still think this system if flakey
Did you reset as per the manual?I find it works quite well and has caught tires going down on our other vehicles well before they were flat.The lower profile the tire is,the less warning time you have.
Appreciate 0