BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

12-21-2016, 04:53 AM   #177
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: Garage is to big to list.

Now this was surprising

Stock rear rotor hardly worn 8.8kg

Stock rear calliper including pads 5kg

Combined Weight 13.8kg

Brembo/ECS Rotor 13.2kg

Saving of 0.6kg

Not bad bigger brakes and less unsprung weight.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 07:17 AM   #178
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

there is about 15mm of unswept rotor face there. that is braking ability you're losing.
      12-21-2016, 09:40 AM   #179
Dreamer99
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Looks like about the same unswept area on the rotor with the AP racing kit.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 11:07 AM   #180
dj_dub
IG: @dj_dub
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 M3 - SG/FR 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
there is about 15mm of unswept rotor face there. that is braking ability you're losing.
My rears were also like that initially...not that bad though, maybe 5-7mm. His looks worse...the pads are probably hanging off the end of the rotor as well. I sent mine back for adjustment and now they're perfect. You'll see that in my review whenever I get some time to finish it up. lol
CarboProject CF Plenum | Dinan CF Intake | ESS Tune | RKP X-Pipe | Akra w/CF Tips | MFactory CF DS | CSF Cooling | AST 5200 | Hotchkis F/R Sways | SPL/Ground Control/Fall-Line Arms | DEFIV Diff Brace | StudioRSR Rollcage | 3-piece BBS RT88 | Michelin PS4S | Brembos F/R | Recaro Profi SPG XL | CAE Ultra Shifter | Perf Elec Wheel V2 | BAVSOUND | GT4 CF Front Lip/Canards/Rear Wing | Arkym CF Rear Diffuser | Forcewerkz CF SS | Varis CF Lower Tray | Turner Skidplate | BayOptiks Headlights
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 11:12 AM   #181
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
I noticed this with the pads that my StopTech ST40 kit came with. There was about 2-3mm of unswept area right at the outer edge of the discs. When I put my new Ferodo DS2500 pads in, they went right to the edge of the disc.
      12-21-2016, 12:49 PM   #182
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_dub View Post
My rears were also like that initially...not that bad though, maybe 5-7mm. His looks worse...the pads are probably hanging off the end of the rotor as well. I sent mine back for adjustment and now they're perfect. You'll see that in my review whenever I get some time to finish it up. lol
No the pad does not hang off the end of the rotor but sits about .5mm
from the edge, so pretty much to the edge

It doesn't matter about the unswept area as if you compare the pad area between the stock and the hawk pad, the stock pad is almost half the size

On top of that there are four pistons applying equal pressure to the pads instead of 1

Also how rotational braking force works the unswept area does bugger all in terms of braking and only adds extra unsprung weight, but that would be insignificant anyway

I'm not going to worry about the unswept area from a performance point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
I noticed this with the pads that my StopTech ST40 kit came with. There was about 2-3mm of unswept area right at the outer edge of the discs. When I put my new Ferodo DS2500 pads in, they went right to the edge of the disc.
This would worry me if the pad sat that far from the outer edge as this is where the most of the braking performance happens
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 12:52 PM   #183
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
I sent mine back for adjustment
Can you extrapolate on that bit, please?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 01:07 PM   #184
dj_dub
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymil View Post
No the pad does not hang off the end of the rotor but sits about .5mm
from the edge, so pretty much to the edge

It doesn't matter about the unswept area as if you compare the pad area between the stock and the hawk pad, the stock pad is almost half the size

On top of that there are four pistons applying equal pressure to the pads instead of 1

Also how rotational braking force works the unswept area does bugger all in terms of braking and only adds extra unsprung weight, but that would be insignificant anyway

I'm not going to worry about the unswept area from a performance point of view.
I find it hard to believe that the pads aren't hanging off of the rotor even a bit after seeing how off center pistons are to the rotor surface and with my experience installing this kit twice. But if you say so, I'll take your word for it.

The stock calipers have the pistons centered to the rotor surface which applies equal pressure and contact to the entire rotor...I wanted these to do the same, and after some adjustment from Albert and his team we got it to work that way as it should.

I had a certified BMW Master Tech help me install these which isn't a title that can be handed out to just anyone without proper knowledge and experience. I trust their judgement and experience advising me that the pistons should be centered to the rotor surface as much as possible for performace and reliablity. In fact, if you take a look at the Brembo kits provided for our cars, this is indeed the case.
CarboProject CF Plenum | Dinan CF Intake | ESS Tune | RKP X-Pipe | Akra w/CF Tips | MFactory CF DS | CSF Cooling | AST 5200 | Hotchkis F/R Sways | SPL/Ground Control/Fall-Line Arms | DEFIV Diff Brace | StudioRSR Rollcage | 3-piece BBS RT88 | Michelin PS4S | Brembos F/R | Recaro Profi SPG XL | CAE Ultra Shifter | Perf Elec Wheel V2 | BAVSOUND | GT4 CF Front Lip/Canards/Rear Wing | Arkym CF Rear Diffuser | Forcewerkz CF SS | Varis CF Lower Tray | Turner Skidplate | BayOptiks Headlights
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 01:07 PM   #185
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

You cant adjust these unless you machine the calliper internal area and totally reengineer the pad, it would be pointless as by bringing the pad further to the inner edge of the discs would decrease the performance substantially.

Its harder to stop the inner edge of the disc than the outer edge
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 01:11 PM   #186
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

Here you go

As you can see you cant bring the pad further in as the guides would foul on the rotor

As it is they sit less than a mm from it
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 01:19 PM   #187
dj_dub
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You cant adjust these unless you machine the calliper internal area and totally reengineer the pad, it would be pointless as by bringing the pad further to the inner edge of the discs would decrease the performance substantially.

Its harder to stop the inner edge of the disc than the outer edge
Well then, you must have more knowledge and experience than the rest of us mate. I won't bother trying to argue things further.

Cool...thanks for showing me that pic, glad they're not hanging over the edge of the rotor like mine was otherwise that'd be a big no no.

I don't know what Albert and his team did (I know I received new adapters and calipers), but I know mine fit way better than yours do. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 01:25 PM   #188
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer99 View Post
Looks like about the same unswept area on the rotor with the AP racing kit.
That's cold. The ring will expand radially by a couple mm when hot hence the strap/slot/what have you attachments on floating rotors
      12-21-2016, 02:51 PM   #189
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Well then, you must have more knowledge and experience than the rest of us mate. I won't bother trying to argue things further.

Cool...thanks for showing me that pic, glad they're not hanging over the edge of the rotor like mine was otherwise that'd be a big no no.

I don't know what Albert and his team did (I know I received new adapters and calipers), but I know mine fit way better than yours do. Cheers!
Take a pic of yours for comparison
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 02:53 PM   #190
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

Quote:

No one is arguing it's a healthy discussion
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 03:06 PM   #191
dj_dub
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

No one is arguing it's a healthy discussion
I have and you will see those detailed pics in my review thread in due time my friend. If I have time after I get off of work today, I'll try and post a pic without the wheel on for you to see the difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 08:39 PM   #192
dj_dub
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Didn't have time to take the wheel off...but here's a quick iPhone pic of how my rears currently sit. You can see my pistons are closer to the center of the rotor surface allowing the pads to cover the surface area more evenly.

Untitled by dj_dub, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 09:09 PM   #193
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

They used a different pad that's all by the looks of it

It extends past the calliper look at my pics closely, the actual calliper sits in the same place
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 10:33 PM   #194
dj_dub
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
They used a different pad that's all by the looks of it

It extends past the calliper look at my pics closely, the actual calliper sits in the same place
Whatever you say man...I know for a fact that it doesn't as the initial rear kit Albert sent me sat further out like yours does using similar calipers, same pads and different adapters. He sent me an adjusted rear kit with a new set of calipers, new adapters and the same pads. Now it sits like I want it to, I don't know what he did but it worked.

Trying to convince you otherwise benefits me zero...so I'll end with if you're happy with the way yours fits, then more power to you. As for me, I'm not a fan of "Jerry Rigging" stuff on my car. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 10:53 PM   #195
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

What ever floats your boat dude

So Albert jerry rigged my brake setup

I better get a refund then hey on your say so
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 10:58 PM   #196
dj_dub
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What ever floats your boat dude

So Albert jerry rigged my brake setup

I better get a refund then hey on your say so
LOL! It seems to be whatever floats your boat bro. You're so convinced you're right and that me and everyone else who's seen this kit installed initially is delirious for seeing what we did.

That's between you and him man...I personally don't care what you do at this point.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 02:26 AM   #197
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

Finished the install today

Front rotor fairly worn 10.2kg and calliper with pads 6.4kg

Total of 16.6kg compared to 15.8kg for the complete new setup

Almost a 1kg saving

Here are some pics they clear the arc-8's no problem with loads of room
left over for air circulation and no need for spacers
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
FMLYSDN1181.50
      12-22-2016, 03:24 AM   #198
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Didn't have time to take the wheel off...but here's a quick iPhone pic of how my rears currently sit. You can see my pistons are closer to the center of the rotor surface allowing the pads to cover the surface area more evenly.

Untitled by dj_dub, on Flickr
look at the pics the callipers sit in the same place but your pad extends past the calliper further towards the middle of the rotor that's all
Attached Images

Appreciate 0