BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

08-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #23
jbockrd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Alpine White/Carbon M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield View Post
Just checked a Porsche forum. Namely 6 speed on line. The Porsche guys seem to like the F-Type V8 S quite a bit.
I drove the F-type V-8S, XKR, Audi TT RS, and Porsche Cayman last weekend and my M3 on the way there and home. The most heart pounding experience was the Jag F-type by far!!! But the hit you take from the rapid depreciation is a huge gamble with that type of car. You better love it a few years from now, or you will pay for it dearly. If money is no object, the car is a blast. I got to track the M3 right after the F-type and I was pleasantly surprised how much I still loved the "best of all worlds" the M3 gives me as a daily driver. Just my thoughts.
      08-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #24
ms372
White Shark
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E92 m3 6MT

i test drover the V8S n loved it! such a fun car to drive so much power and torque and the car is tail happy. Im a coupe guy so ill be waiting for the V8 RS, which should have 549 hp

as for the r8 you can only get a v8 at this price, which is a let down IMO.
ESS | Challenge x-pipe | Akrapovic | Stoptech BBK (380/355) |Ohlins R&T | Dinan | Vorsteiner | Downforce USA | Varis Diffuser | Gintani | UUC | BMW Performance | Macht Schnell | Forgestar F14's SDC 19x9.5F 19x11R | 255.35 295.30

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #25
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

when I said something more raw, I meant something with a MT and something that is extremely exciting to drive.

to me, an auto isn't something I would want for a weekend car, so in that vein, id rather a 997.2 GT3, a MT R8, an older Gallardo if I wanted to gamble a little and deal with the maintenance issues etc....I also drove a 991 C4s and was blown away by it.

but the jag is a great choice, and a great sounding car for sure and you can always put the top down.

Edit : what I would actually do is buy a totally base model new gt3. 130k and will maul any of those other cars. And I could deal with pdk in a gt3

Last edited by Black Gold; 08-25-2013 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #26
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

I was at a buddys place last night and the neighbor had a friend come over and was revving it and it sounded nice.

But when i left, i returned the favor and was barely revving to 3k rpm and the dude looked outside thinkjng maybe his car was gettjng stolen ( we all do that - thats how i saw the ftype when he revved i had to open the garage thinking is that my car getting jacked?)

Next time ill be sure to rev to 8500rpm so he knows for sure it isnt his car. Lol.

But that ftype looks great, makes some proper noises and should be a blast to drive with the top down.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #27
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
what a shock

FWIW, the jag looks good from the front and sounds nice, but could never see myself owning one. Same with Maserati, love the car, the looks, the sound, but would never spend my money on one.

The Jag may be nice, but let's see it set the bar for all other sports car for 50years and counting...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #28
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V8 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post

FWIW, the jag looks good from the front and sounds nice, but could never see myself owning one. Same with Maserati, love the car, the looks, the sound, but would never spend my money on one.

The Jag may be nice, but let's see it set the bar for all other sports car for 50years and counting...
I think the Porsche Carrera S Cabriolet is the standard in the this "price" group - it is also 'the best.' I accept that. However, it doesn't do it for me - sadly.

Brain says Porsche and heart says Jaguar.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #29
shu5892001
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: GS-F

Quote:
Jaguar reliability has been an issue for decades. I was talking to a car mechanic who has an independent store & repair facility and deals in exotics.

He said that the 5.0 L V8 in the F-Type is a bullet proof engine. Actually I have the same Supercharged V8 in my Range Rover Sport. The transmission is also fine and this 8 speed ZF transmission has been used in other cars and is quite reliable.

I also have a Range Rover (not exactly known for reliability) and it has been perfect.

I am interested in what you would suggest KennyPowers when you said that you would pick a more focused and raw car for fair weather top down driving? I am open to suggestions. I will be ordering by October for a spring delivery.
I wouldn't own 2 cars at the same time with the exact same engine... You only live once, why own a SUV and a roadster with the exact same supercharged V8?
      08-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #30
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu5892001 View Post
I wouldn't own 2 cars at the same time with the exact same engine... You only live once, why own a SUV and a roadster with the exact same supercharged V8?
Because the roadster weights 1/2 as much and sounds AMAZING!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #31
jeff2015
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GTR Gun Metal Gray Pr Edi

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu5892001 View Post
Because the roadster weights 1/2 as much and sounds AMAZING!
Go for it and I'm sure driving it will make you grin from ear to ear...
      08-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #32
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
i would say the handling is more M3-like than it is Porsche-like. FR layout, feels pretty stable but not as light as a Porsche feels. also the steering is not as communicative as the 997's
Fair enough. I drove the new Cayman S a few weeks after the Jag, and it felt so much more nimble, precise and composed in corners. But that F Type was pretty good and had a ton of grunt from the V8.
      08-30-2013, 06:55 AM   #33
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Fair enough. I drove the new Cayman S a few weeks after the Jag, and it felt so much more nimble, precise and composed in corners. But that F Type was pretty good and had a ton of grunt from the V8.
I drove a Boxster S, Carrera S Cabriolet and the Jaguar F-Type V8 back to back. I did not drive the Cayman because it is a tin-top and I want a rag-top.

The Porsches are hands down better handling. No drama, precise, and clinical.... and to me boring.

Driving the Jaguar F-Type V8 S was an occasion. It bellows, grunts, snorts, and then tries to kill you!! I loved it. The handling was nothing like the Porsche - but I loved it!!

The reliability does not interest me. I have a Range Rover Sport Supercharged that has been faultless in the last 18 months. The Jaguar has the same engine and the ZF transmission is reliable and has been used in other cars.

This car will be a forever car. It's exactly want I want. A 2-seater, rag-top, with a V8. I do not want a folding tin roof. Depreciation will not be relevant. It will not be for sale.

If BMW were to put the S65 in a Z4 and call it a Z4M then I would buy it over the Jaguar (despite the folding tin-roof.) Unfortunately, BMW does not provide what I want.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #34
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
I drove a Boxster S, Carrera S Cabriolet and the Jaguar F-Type V8 back to back. I did not drive the Cayman because it is a tin-top and I want a rag-top.

The Porsches are hands down better handling. No drama, precise, and clinical.... and to me boring.

Driving the Jaguar F-Type V8 S was an occasion. It bellows, grunts, snorts, and then tries to kill you!! I loved it. The handling was nothing like the Porsche - but I loved it!!

The reliability does not interest me. I have a Range Rover Sport Supercharged that has been faultless in the last 18 months. The Jaguar has the same engine and the ZF transmission is reliable and has been used in other cars.

This car will be a forever car. It's exactly want I want. A 2-seater, rag-top, with a V8. I do not want a folding tin roof. Depreciation will not be relevant. It will not be for sale.

If BMW were to put the S65 in a Z4 and call it a Z4M then I would buy it over the Jaguar (despite the folding tin-roof.) Unfortunately, BMW does not provide what I want.
I haven't driven one, but that's exactly how I would expect the Jag to handle. if I had the scratch and didn't need 4 seats, I would pick up the coupe when it comes out in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #35
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:

I do like the F Type V8 but opposite to you, I am a hardtop guy so I'd rather have the coupe. It's foggy and cold 80% of the time here in San Francisco. I'd rarely be able to put the top down. I'd also wait for a manual transmission one.

I enjoy my cars on track and in my experience convertibles don't make good track cars. They also don't even pass technical inspection without a roll cage installed.
      08-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #36
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
what a shock
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 12:51 AM   #37
M3ZCP6MT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 381 ///M3

One thing for sure, there aren't many F Type V8 out there.

/// M3 + 6MT + ZCP + ///MPE = A Healthy Addiction ///
Appreciate 0