BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

09-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #23
Fifty3bags
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
that and in the center of the phone it tells you how many percent your battery is charged when charging.

I like that they added a scale to the new map. Although it only appears when you're zooming in or out. Really??? Only when zooming?
I didn't see that part, it only shows up for a couple seconds at most then goes to the date.

And that's weird the scale shows up only when zooming in, I hadn't used the maps yet, but had to check it out for that.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #24
MMMCOOKIES55
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP/ '16 ATS-V

The maps are wonderfully better. Siri has gotten more intuitive as well. I feel it has taken a step back in terms of styling but I have been an I phone user for 4 years now so change was needed I feel.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #25
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
I just downloaded it now for my iPad which I hardly use, but now it really just wants to make me use it more often. I like it!
I prefer this design language over the skeuomorphism of the previous iOS versions. It needed a burst of colour.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #26
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
i haven't updated my phone in over a year - i still have the old map, which is better than that Google Map garbage.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they consider Google Maps to be garbage, especially compared to the Apple Maps.
      09-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #27
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFB02 View Post
Just downloaded it and it's awesome. Any thoughts?
I downloaded it yesterday but most of us have had similar designs for years with jailbroke iPhones. So this is nothing new.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #28
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
For slide to unlock, that box went away because now you can touch anywhere on the screen to slide to unlock.
Again, this is 2009 stuff we all had on our old iPhones when jailbroke.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #29
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they consider Google Maps to be garbage, especially compared to the Apple Maps.
apologies - i may have been talking out of my ass.

you remember sometime at the beginning of the year (or late last year) when there was this "big update" ??

well, one of the things i heard is that the new map was garbage.

can't remember if it was Apple's Map or Google's Map on the update.

either way, i still won't update my phone for that alone HAHA !!!!

i'm still running 5.1 on my 4S lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #30
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

The data from the maps went from google provided to apple provided. Google released a stand alone navigation app a few months later, and the Apple one is much improved. They both blow the old one out of the water. Turn by turn nav just by asking Siri for it is really nice (much better voice in the Google map app though- sounds a lot more real)

So...what can you do with a jailbroken phone now days?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #31
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Quote:
apologies - i may have been talking out of my ass.

you remember sometime at the beginning of the year (or late last year) when there was this "big update" ??

well, one of the things i heard is that the new map was garbage.

can't remember if it was Apple's Map or Google's Map on the update.

either way, i still won't update my phone for that alone HAHA !!!!

i'm still running 5.1 on my 4S lol.
You should update it so that you get a logo for the apple maps that doesn't show an arrow turning off a bridge lol!! I burst out laughing when I saw the updated logo today that fixes this..

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #32
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

dang, so the maps are actually better than the ones that were available immediately after the latest release ??

if so, i might have to look into updating.....

i love Siri, but sometimes i have to speak into her slowly and like a robot for her to type my text correctly.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #33
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
The data from the maps went from google provided to apple provided. Google released a stand alone navigation app a few months later, and the Apple one is much improved. They both blow the old one out of the water. Turn by turn nav just by asking Siri for it is really nice (much better voice in the Google map app though- sounds a lot more real)

Everything... lol I have two iphone 4s and one is the new iOS and the other is jailbroken and similar in every aspect. Infact the jailbroken can have a much better display and all screens, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #34
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

wife told me last night "so when are we buying our iphone 5S's !?!?"

i looked at her, spit on the back of my hand and then slapped her with it...

i told her "our phones are good - why dafuq do we need 5S's !?!?"

the words "becuzzz" came out of her mouth kind of pouty, like a child who had been scorned...

do i really WANT to upgrade right now !?!? hell no.

but will i eventually give in after i hear positive reviews !?!? probably.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #35
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post

If you are reading between the lines, jailbreaking pretty much allows you to make it look different.

Quote:
dang, so the maps are actually better than the ones that were available immediately after the latest release ??

if so, i might have to look into updating.....

i love Siri, but sometimes i have to speak into her slowly and like a robot for her to type my text correctly.
Maps seem to be very good now and voice recognition is MUCH better. I had a 14 text conversation today. i didn't have to make one correction. And i've been accused of talking with marbles in my mouth on more than one occasion.
      09-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #36
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
Again, this is 2009 stuff we all had on our old iPhones when jailbroke.
I was just explaining why the slider for slide to unlock changed to the way it is now. It wouldn't make sense to have the bar on the bottom like it did in iOS 6 still. That's all. It's irrelevant that jailbreak had it in 2009.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #37
C4Suke
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335IS

Yeah, I think I'll avoid any more Iphone updates, its the same old story: new iphone comes out, apple keeps updating the iOS until it makes your phone slow and obsolete, and you are forced to purchase a new iphone. I recall when my 3GS was running great, until I started installing all the new iOS's. What a mistake. The hardware doesn't keep up with the software.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #38
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4Suke View Post
Yeah, I think I'll avoid any more Iphone updates, its the same old story: new iphone comes out, apple keeps updating the iOS until it makes your phone slow and obsolete, and you are forced to purchase a new iphone. I recall when my 3GS was running great, until I started installing all the new iOS's. What a mistake. The hardware doesn't keep up with the software.
Welcome to the natural progression of technology.....

I don't expect my 2008 MBP to run the newest games, photoshop, etc. Software will get more complex as better hardware keeps on coming out. So it's not surprising legacy hardware just as my Core 2 Duo will not be able to keep up eventually.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 07:57 AM   #39
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I've had it for months (since like beta ). To each their own but I think iOS 7 transformed the iPhone into a whole other beast. I honestly think the previous iOSs are ugly and lacking in many features.

I feel like the only people who don't like it are the people in their 40s-50s who barely know how to use their iPhone in the first place lol (no offense guys)

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #40
bolinp78
G35 convertee
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

The fact that they changed the direction that you swipe to erase emails or texts (right to left instead of left to right as it was before) is dumb imo.
      09-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #41
Fifty3bags
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolinp78 View Post
The fact that they changed the direction that you swipe to erase emails or texts (right to left instead of left to right as it was before) is dumb imo.
Also if you choose edit and select multiple emails to trash, the trash button is on the right instead of the left like it used to be. I hit the "Mark" button every time, just gotta get used to it I guess.

**I realize there aren't actual buttons on the phone, didnt know what to call them
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #42
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4Suke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Welcome to the natural progression of technology.....

I don't expect my 2008 MBP to run the newest games, photoshop, etc. Software will get more complex as better hardware keeps on coming out. So it's not surprising legacy hardware just as my Core 2 Duo will not be able to keep up eventually.
No other company releases hardware that supports new software for as long of a duration as apple does. Their hardware last 2 to 3 times longer than most other devices.

Lap tops, computers, phones, tablets, etc... I have a 2005 MBP that runs just as fast as it did in 2005.
      09-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #43
ouchie
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Got 4S. Hate the icons. But Siri and camera is WAY FASTER
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #44
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
No other company releases hardware that supports new software for as long of a duration as apple does. Their hardware last 2 to 3 times longer than most other devices.

Lap tops, computers, phones, tablets, etc... I have a 2005 MBP that runs just as fast as it did in 2005.
No doubt Apple supports legacy hardware for a long time. Though with my 12" PB G4 and 20" iMac G5 slowed down a bit when upgraded to Leopard. But, my 17" MBP is still running strong on ML. Though I will be a bit hesitant on upgrading it to Maverick. It's on the edge of its compatibility requirements.

iOS 7 does from reports run a bit slow on the iPhone 4. It's livable from what I've read, but it does tax the old hardware a bit. But on the 4S up runs fine. Different story on the iPads though. iPad 2 and 3 don't run perfectly smooth on iOS 7. My iPad 3 has some lag in its animations sometimes and for some reason takes forever to change wallpaper. Not sure if it is iOS 7 being too much for it or just bugs that Apple will eventually address in an update.

And there is also no doubt there is some planned obsolensce into it as well. Take iOS 3 and the original iPhone and 3G. They both had the exact same hardware with the exception of the 3G radio, but the original didn't get all the features the 3G got in iOS 3.
Appreciate 0