BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

11-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #89
heartcolorgrey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 ZCP AW/Speed Cloth

Its so interesting to see various thought processes here, from what seems to be multiple age groups. Really opened my mind up about exotics. They aren't just "OMG SEX I WANT ONE"

I myself have just turned 27, and am in a position where I can just recently afford an M3 comfortably without having to worry about it being a bad financial decision (debatable, yes I know).

After reading all the cons people say about exotics in this thread, it really made me think
about where I will be in a few years and the serious practicality of an M3 (as far as performance cars are concerned).

Originally I made the decision to jump into an m3 because of the performance and styling. Now it seems that its a car that can last me quite a few years as my maturity increases.

Someone asked before where do you go after M3, and now I'm thinking maybe a crap SUV on the side for bad weather, and saving other spare $$ for important things in life?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #90
amitv85
Private
Rep
Drives: E430

This is something I have thought about too. Since I am in the city - there's no need at this point as its rough driving the ///M at times. I always wanted an F-car...and more recently drooling over an Aventador...if moneys not an object, why not? but thats not usually the case.

I think I'd rather try out a Car Club that has an annual membership fee but allows you to drive different exotic cars without the hassle of maintenance. My girlfriend's co-worker does this and I've looked into it before and not such a bad alternative. That's something I might be interested in doing 2-3 years from now. Once I move to the suburbs in 4-5 years I would consider having an exotic if I was going to put at least 400-500 miles a month on it. Preferably a used F430 spyder for a sweet weekend car

The M3 will always have it's place - I debate trading up for an M5 or M6 but just performance wise, the extra weight isnt more fun. I'd rather keep the ///M and move it to a project car once I have a bigger ///M for daily driving (That's if I have the space...but then I feel like having so many cars would become a hassle in itself...inspections, oil changes, car washes etc)

In an ideal world - you get a 5 car garage, a nice daily driver, an exotic, an suv, the wifes car and a wild card...let's hope for the best!

That was a mouthful...but just laying my $0.02 out there.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 11:26 PM   #91
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optherion View Post
Why remain in the same place? In a sense it is nice to be in a sweet spot in life. Cant complain about that! So many times I remember only having enough to get month to month. But I would say No. Why remain where you are?

But this reminds me of 2 people I know. 1, My employees that complain they don't want to make more money when I give them a raise cause it will bump them up in a tax bracket or make their kids not qualify for free shit from the state. Then theres my friends that count on their 3-5% pay increase every year and say "ok I can own a M3 in 20 years." Which to me is depressing.

Whats wrong with paying more taxes for a few years if in the end you will keep growing ? Raise after raise. But there is a good point to admitting you are content for once. That is great to sit back and say "look how far I have come, I did it, and I got my car". Enjoy that. But always press on. I absolutely agree with you guys. I too will always have a car that does everything. For me right now its the GT-R. Its not a supercar. Its a Nissan. But it has a huge trunk, a backseat for midgets and your coat, decent on the freeway, and a ton of power for the twisty roads. It wont ever be a Ferrari, but it will wow you with performance while on a conference call.

The best thing about the M3 is that it really does beat the class it is in by miles. The interior I think is better than the mercedes, the handling much better, more nimble than a bloated S5 or RS5 and BMW maintenance is the reason I have a 7 series and x5 for every single day. With all this being said. My absolute favorite car I have ever had the pleasure of driving and owning a toss up between the CGT and the Ford GT. Why? Because I had the chance to borrow a F40 for a week, and nothing on earth has had the same feeling close to that other than those cars. Rear engine, stripped interior, and manual transmission. It makes you feel like Al Unser JR when you rip off a glorious downshift to hear those engines. Like one person said, a supercar brings out super-emotions and a depth of feeling you will never feel in the M3. Its not super number and super performance, its the goosebumps for me.
Great Post
      12-04-2012, 12:34 AM   #92
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

I agree very much with Optherion's POV.

Growing up in Vancouver, Canada; I think it's the ultimate place to chill and just a stable place to live and wait for death to arrive.

Migrating back to Hong Kong proved to be a challenge, but I accepted it. And through these years of single life (it helps with finances), I worked from a Ford Fiesta to a VW R32 and now I'm at my E90 6MT M3.

I began to appreciate the pace of this place and the efficiency, it's a wonderful feeling to know that you can grow, that there's opportunities, and that there is a better life and more toys for you in the future.

My father is basically living the life that I would wonder about and would probably follow if I can manage financially. He has a 2008 C63, a 2002 SL55 AMG, and a 2010 997 Porsche 911 Turbo S. Have a 4 Door Family car, and then a Sports car for the occasional Drive. I prefer my M3 to the C63 as an all-around car. The SL55 is dated but is still a looker. Now the Turbo S, that's what I call fast. 0-100 in 3.14s (with Launch Control). There's power everywhere. PDK is almighty. The Ceramic brakes are easy to modulate. The best part is that it's very discreet (de-badged, actually all our cars are). It just looks like any other P-car to most people.

Of course, with all this being said, I actually am clueless as to what I would get in 5-10 years, because of the practicality and the utility of the E90M. I am quite liking the Jaguar XFR-S, and in Black with a Spoiler Delete, there's nothing quite like that noise of a Supercharged V8 with the cracking exhaust every time it shifts.

12-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #93
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtaron14 View Post
there's nothing quite like that noise of a Supercharged V8 with the cracking exhaust every time it shifts.
Then look no further than a SC e9X M3 with catless exhaust and DCT
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #94
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Very Good Thread.

I have looked at couple of exotics but I am not the type that will get into something that is going to get crap loads of attention and scream "Look at me People"

As you stated M3 is a great all around car and may be a good alternative (when kids are gone) might be a 911.

To me a good balanced garage these days can be E90 M3, 911TT (or even C4S / T4S) and a Cayenne GTS...... anything more than that you are showing off waaay too much for my taste.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #95
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

Good summary and those are definitely the issues to consider when looking at getting into one. They are not very practical and it is very unlikely you will drive one that much because of that reason.

One thing I was considering was buying into an exotic car sharing service. You might pay something like 20,000 for the year and be allowed so many days a year to drive whatever car you want in their inventory (they all work differently of course). They handle everything, you just drive the car and when you are tired of it, you drop it off or have them come pick it up. True, it is not the same as being completely yours and no one touches it but you... however, if you are paranoid about damaging a car like that (like me) you might be able to actually enjoy the car more if you know it is not your baby. I'm really thinking this is a good way to go and avoid many of the headaches involved in owning an exotic car yourself.

http://exoticcars.about.com/od/carcl...CarSharing.htm

*edit* One other piece I like about this idea is if for example I want to go to Florida, the group I am considering has an office there and they will have whatever car I want waiting for me at the airport.

Last edited by Nautik; 12-06-2012 at 10:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #96
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aro1 View Post
Sorry but I don't think an M3 provides 90% the driving experience of an exotic such as a 458. It's not "90-95% of what the exotics are in terms of exclusivity, style, and pure performance." That's fan boy talk at it's best. No way. I have driven one as well as several other exotics and there is no comparison. This is really apples and oranges. Let's face it, if a true car enthusiast can really afford an exotic (especially a brand new one) then they would add one to their stable in addition to other cars such as an M3, SUV, etc. Why? Because they can and because it's something they enjoy...same with any high end watch. Even if it's only driven occasionally, it's worth it. No offense, but in my experience most anesthesiologists and physicians in general cannot "afford" an exotic, esp. a new one, unless they are living beyond their means, retired, or doing something on the side. To really "afford" these cars without having to worry about maintanance or depreciation you probably need to be comfortably pulling in well over a million, excluding any major expenses/debts.

So to answer your question, if you can really afford an exotic then fantasy isn't better than reality.
You are probably right in your assessment. It certainly is more than just the cost of buying. No different really for people who aspire to the M3. It is more than just buying the car itself. On a different note, however, don't make assumptions about people without knowing all the facts, especially the extremely limited information you may get about someone through an internet discussion forum like this. I think you know what I mean
      12-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #97
Jem1995
Registered
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 alpine white

I Just traded in my s550 for a stick m3 convertible and I also have a ferrari California and a 458 spider on order. While I love my new m3 let me make something very clear, ferrari is ferrari. There is no better driving experience from a non exotic. The California is the bottom of the exotic food change I can't even imagine what a 458 spider would be like.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #98
Aro1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 DCT, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
You are probably right in your assessment. It certainly is more than just the cost of buying. No different really for people who aspire to the M3. It is more than just buying the car itself. On a different note, however, don't make assumptions about people without knowing all the facts, especially the extremely limited information you may get about someone through an internet discussion forum like this. I think you know what I mean
Of course I don't know all the facts about your particular situation. That's why I said "in general." Most who can truly afford an exotic don't need to fantasize about material objects such as cars. If one needs think about it that much, they probably can't afford it.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #99
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Agree with you on the practicality and everyday driveability of this M car.

I love watching this video review of our current M3.
I not only love it because they recognize the "beauty" of this car, but they review every purpose of having this vehicle, which matches my reasons why i loved M3 all along, and wanted this particular V8 M3.

I love this guy when he says,
Quote:
Owning an M3 is like having a house cat that is actually a bangal tiger. You’ll get used to it, you’ll forget that it is just as crazy as exotic as it really is...and when you have a rare moment to expose somebody else to this car, it’s like suddenly opening the door for the Fedex guy, and when he sees, he goes "oh my god, you own a tiger"
i know it sounds all cheesy and all, but this is so true in our daily ownership of the M3. I drive the car everywhere, all the time, in all weather, and sometimes there's a moment when I realize that this car underneath the hood has a special engine capable of 8300 rpm and enough torque and hp to burn the sxxx out of the fat rear tires..

Going side track a bit,but this is sort of the reasons why I am not so impressed with the next M3. Yes the power will be there, it will be fuel efficient, more practical. But back in the day, even just 5 years ago, the M division wasn't like that. They were "crazy", they were able to stick a V10 engine in the M5, a high rev V8 with individual throttle bodies in a small 3 series... and they were mass produced engine!
Not anymore, because they are not allowed. They are not allowed to go crazy on it, they need that mpg regulations, they need to stay under that government limitations, so they will turbo it. not as exotic as the past M3s have been...and the original inline 4 E30 M engine, the silky smooth I-6 E36 and E46, high rev V8 S65 engine...these are the ones that will be remembed as the most "PURE" M engines, not restricted by anyone, anything.
      12-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #100
Heps
RedlineSociety
Rep
Drives: RedcarWhitetruck

Good read!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #101
saildoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Porsche Cayman R

Exactly my thoughts: that is why I drive a Cayman R and soon a C63. I could have an R8 V10 or a ferrari instead but don't want the worry-loud visiability-and target on my back that such an extreme car brings. Turns out the C63 PP sould be pretty close the exotic level performance on the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
As M3 owners, we may take our cars for granted once in a while, but they are close to the top of the automotive food chain. Still, I am sure that many M3 owners fantasize about exotic car ownership "someday". For me, that "someday" is just around the corner, and in fact, if I really wanted, I could go out and pick up a Gallardo or 458 tomorrow.

However, now that I am there, and find myself thinking about the actual ownership experience, I am really thinking, no.

Firstly, I truly love driving. I often take my M3 out early on weekend mornings and just blast through the countryside. Moreso, however, is that even much of the fun I have in the car is interspersed with practical transport. Take the "fun road" on the way to home depot or to get groceries. Drop the kids off at a friends, or school or activities, then have a spirited drive back home on my own. The M3 allows me to do this. I just can't see going to the supermarket in an exotic. I couldn't see waiting in the drop off line for my daughters school in a Gallardo with all the other parents in their crossovers and Minivans.

The bottom line here is that the exotic would mostly be a garage queen. And this is what most exotics are for everybody. If you look at the mileage of these cars on the used market, you see that they seldom get driven. It becomes more just about owning it than actually driving it.

Secondly, unless you live in a few select metro areas, getting service is a real pain. The nearest Ferrari dealer is 85 miles way for me. By contrast, the BMW dealer is 3 miles away.

Third, God forbid you get into an accident. Getting parts for an exotic can also be a pain.

Fourth, I think I would be just too self conscious driving around in one. While the M3 gets more looks than I would have thought, it is still doesn't outrageously draw attention to itself. It doesn't say from a mile away "Look at me officer. I drive fast!!!" or "Hey Mr. Carjacker, I have gobs of money". I personally just don't want that kind of attention. It is not a good kind of attention. Again, that relegates the exotic to sit in the garage most of the time.

Then you have a car like the M3, which is 90-95% of what the exotics are in terms of exclusivity, style, and pure performance. Yet you can truly enjoy it all the time and it isn't a pain in the ass to own.

Of course, there are the super wealthy who completely live in a world of their own, and for them, these sorts of things just don't come into consideration, I suppose. For them, there is little difference between owning a 458 Italia and buying a tube of toothpaste. I am not sure I would want to be that rich, where even the things of the highest material caliber become valueless.

Anyway, for those of us who may be in the "top 1%", but not in the "top 0.01%", maybe an M3, overall, is as good as it gets??
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #102
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

ive lusted after my share of exotics but doubt i will ever actually own one. i have no doubt that there will be fantastic cars in the future but my dream cars are already available and what i aspire to attain. if i can take a gt3 and drive it well enough to say this isnt good enough i need more, i would have to wake up from that dream. the limits may become higher in the future but the driver involvment will become less.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #103
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
Totally agree, I doubt as well that I'd ever own a true exotic. My goal is to get the new GT3 RS at some point, and I'll be very happy with that. That's as much money I can spend without feeling like an ass.... or getting kicked out of the house by the wife.
yep on the same page looking at getting a gt3 as well at some point. doesnt help that 2 of my track buddies just got a 2010 gt3rs and a 2008 gt2. the other car i would like to track with is a z06 but dont like the middle aged corvette stigma! and the new cayman s.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #104
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Some of you are completely missing the point here. There is NO QUESTION about the superiority and enjoyability of the driving experience. The point is that the opportunities to enjoy driving exotics are rare, while the costs and hassles of ownership are high. It is the cost to benefit ratio that is the issue, irrespective of whether one can afford it.

That said, I did say in my original post that my thoughts really do not apply to the super-wealthy who are just living a different type of existence.

If you can hire someone full time just to tend to your stable of cars, then you are paying someone to deal with all the hassles.

If you don't need to actually work and generate a 7 figure annual income just off investments, and can spend 100 days a year going from track to track in your private jet while your exotics are trailered around the country, then obviously you are living a different type of existence from most.

I am referring to working higher earners. It is a nice life, but certainly not self-sustaining without continued work. Yes, you can afford a Gallardo, and the insurance, and the maintenance, but you still have to think about the value of it all.

Saildoc's post #106 is right on !!

Last edited by LarThaL; 12-11-2012 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #105
saildoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Porsche Cayman R

what street performance means....

Yes, a 458 ferrari will outperform a C63 on the race track. No competition.
But what does street driving mean to everyone here? I doubt that I could safely drive a 458 to my office with a faster time than I could a C63-there are small issues like traffic, speed limits, cops and the risk of killing someone else. For street driving I bet I can break the speed limit plenty fast enough in a C63 and I can enterain three friends while doing it. I suppose a 458 and a C63 would be the perfect combo. Not willing to tie up that much cash in a car that I would only drive once a week or so not to mention needing to flat bed transport to Dallas for service work.
And really when it comes down to it I know a guy here who bought a ferrari-he makes sure to tell everyone he has it and how much it costs... I sort feel revolted and bad for his p*nis at the same time... pretty pathetic.. definately don't want to be that guy. Now if I got a sweet 355 that is enough of a classic I would think about having that as a toy...

Quote:
Not even close. Drive a 458 and a C63 back to back, and the difference is night and day.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 11:48 PM   #106
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

eh i can outperform a 458 in my m3. did it last weekend. driver mod.

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 12:26 AM   #107
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

I think the amount of times you can drive your exotic without looking way out of place depends on where you live.

I live in LA and there are plenty of places you can drive an exotic and be right at home, there are also plenty of places where i wouldn't drive a half decent car through.

If you are barely on the cusp of being able to afford an exotic then I don't think it's worth it. You would be too afraid of driving it for fear of something going wrong (and the ensuing financial strain that would place on you).

If you are at the level where you are "ok" with something catastrophic happening to your exotic then i think you would be more inclined to drive it often.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #108
Malek@MRF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3, E46 M3, G82 M4

Quote:
Love the looks of the R8, but that V8 is outdated, and has mediocre performance. The only R8 that would tempt me is the V10 one. A supercharged M3 will beat the crap out of any stock V8 R8. But it sure looks awesome.
My buddy has a video of my non SC'd M3 whipping on his V10 R8 Spyder at the track. The car is not all that impressive and it weighs almost 4000 lbs. Its 430 lbs heavier than my M3.

On the way to the track, we found a very desolate straight away, my car (putting out 404 RWHP), 2009 M6 Vert and 2011 R8 V10 Spyder, all within 1 car length of one another.

R8's aren't all that impressive except for how they look. Then again, this car was a spyder, much heavier than its coupe counterpart. But I do see the OP's main point of diminishing returns. My good friend with the R8 V10 said something along the same lines too.

My dream supercar to own one day will be the McLaren F1, Carrera GT or my very own bespoke car.

Last edited by Malek@MRF; 12-20-2012 at 07:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #109
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malek View Post
My dream supercar to own one day will be the McLaren F1, Carrera GT or my very own bespoke car.
The Malek GT RS F1 R!
      12-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #110
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malek View Post
My buddy has a video of my non SC'd M3 whipping on his V10 R8 Spyder at the track. The car is not all that impressive and it weighs almost 4000 lbs. Its 430 lbs heavier than my M3.

On the way to the track, we found a very desolate straight away, my car (putting out 404 RWHP), 2009 M6 Vert and 2011 R8 V10 Spyder, all within 1 car length of one another.

R8's aren't all that impressive except for how they look. Then again, this car was a spyder, much heavier than its coupe counterpart. But I do see the OP's main point of diminishing returns. My good friend with the R8 V10 said something along the same lines too.

I beg to differ. My r8 v10 is insanely fast and will outhandle almosf any car on the road. This is coming from someone who's owned a gt3, modded m3, pdk carrera s and more.
Appreciate 0