BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

M3 on USC, parking, and other questions

I'm thinking of going to USC to get a graduate degree in engineering management and I'm trying to figure out the best commuter option for the place.

I'm leaning towards driving and parking there but wanted to see if any of you here who are at / attended/ are familiar with USC could help me out?

Forgive me if some of these questions seem obvious, as since I'm originally from Michigan, I'm still learning my way around!

Some questions:
  1. Is the campus M3 safe? (I believe so right? I'd imagine lots of nice cars there)
  2. How is parking?
  3. Should I sign up for a specific lot (monthly pass) or just go for the $8 random lot daily pass when I get there?
  4. There is also a "parking center" pass, what's that?
  5. Are there any routes that I should avoid to get there?
  6. Anything else that I need / should know?

Some extra info:
  • I'll be coming from South Bay around the El Segundo / Redondo Beach area.
  • I'll most likely (but not guaranteed) be taking night classes, they seem to go from 6:00ish to 9:00ish. Once a week, maybe twice.
  • The bulk of the classes appear to be various business disciplines and engineering.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Didn't two people just get killed while driving an M3 or 3 series around USC.

Regardless, I'm sure it will be safe, plenty of affluent families/spoiled kids driving amazing cars, but why not unload the car for now and drive around care-free.

In general, campus parking can be hectic. I know parking at my school at night can be touchy, especially during sporting events or visitation events like spring tours or family weekends.

PS, be prepared to give your group members rides
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
mrkhanna16
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SSII/Fox Red ZCP DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
1. SO MANY M3s, just don't park in compact
2. Parking gets full, hard to find a spot in the afternoon
3. Sign up for a monthly pass
4. Just go to the transportation office and look at the map to see which lots are closest to your classes
5. No routes to avoid, everything is ghetto lol
6. If you take night classes make sure to look behind your back so you don't get robbed

E92 M3 SSII/Fox Red, DCT, ZCP
past rides-IS350, E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

go Gamecocks!

sounds like a question for the regional forum don't you think?:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=151
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
Didn't two people just get killed while driving an M3 or 3 series around USC.
Those kids were 1 mile off campus out of the patrolled area to save on rent money. I don't intend to hang out outside the campus.

Quote:
Regardless, I'm sure it will be safe, plenty of affluent families/spoiled kids driving amazing cars, but why not unload the car for now and drive around care-free.
Just bought the car in Nov. I'll only be there once a week because my work will be footing the bill. Can't afford to drop the car... I love it! lol
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
smile562
Rep
Drives: Escalade

i agree with mrkhanna16. and make sure you don't do anything illegal such as dark tinted front windows, no license plate and so on. LAPD and CHP’s favorite spots. Even if you park on the street, they will ticket you.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
go Gamecocks!

sounds like a question for the regional forum don't you think?:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=151
Thing is that activity levels are much higher here and I need answers sooner as I'm currently working with my managers and HR to get everything sorted out. Been hectic.

The regional only has one post dated today!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #8
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile562 View Post
i agree with mrkhanna16. and make sure you don't do anything illegal such as dark tinted front windows, no license plate and so on. LAPD and CHP’s favorite spots. Even if you park on the street, they will ticket you.
Thanks I didn't think about that. Looks like I'll need to get one of those fast mounts then as I have no front plate.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

if Matt Barkley asked for a ride, how many cheerleaders would have to come along for you to agree?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Boo, just got moved to regional... hopefully people still see this as I really need some help! lol
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
skiborsy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Le Mans Blue E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11;12013176
Some questions:
[LIST=1
[*]Is the campus M3 safe? (I believe so right? I'd imagine lots of nice cars there)[*]How is parking?[*]Should I sign up for a specific lot (monthly pass) or just go for the $8 random lot daily pass when I get there?[*]There is also a "parking center" pass, what's that?[*]Are there any routes that I should avoid to get there?[*]Anything else that I need / should know?[/LIST]
Some extra info:
  • I'll be coming from South Bay around the El Segundo / Redondo Beach area.
  • I'll most likely (but not guaranteed) be taking night classes, they seem to go from 6:00ish to 9:00ish. Once a week, maybe twice.
  • The bulk of the classes appear to be various business disciplines and engineering.
It has been 7 years since I graduated, but I used to frequently see a GT2 and DB9 (among other nice cars) in the USC parking lots and structures. BMW 3 Series used to be pretty much the official car of USC students.

Parking Center is (or was) a bus ride away from the campus, east of the 110, but that pass may get you evening parking in the lots on campus - I think after 5:00 or 6:00, if you have a permit for any lot, you can park pretty much anywhere that's accessible at that time.

I'd recommend looking at USC's parking website as it's full of info (http://transnet.usc.edu/). Evening parking (with a permit) did not use to be a problem, though things could be different now.

Definitely don't try to sneak in, though - they were always very vigilant about that (and give big tickets).
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
docsdoc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Vert

I got bit by the Bimmer bug when I was a grad student at USC in the 80's watching all the rich undergrads and their 3 series... just ordered my 4th BMW - a 2012 E93 M3.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #13
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiborsy View Post
I'd recommend looking at USC's parking website as it's full of info (http://transnet.usc.edu/). Evening parking (with a permit) did not use to be a problem, though things could be different now.
Thanks for the info! I was looking at the parking site earlier. There appear to be a lot of choices, but if I can hop lots in the evening it may not matter.

I guess the debate (assuming I can get a pass) would be between the $70 / month vs $8 day daily pass as I would likely only be there 4 times / month... but then again, it's not a huge amount in the grand scheme of things (especially compared to the gas to get there).

Quote:
Definitely don't try to sneak in, though - they were always very vigilant about that (and give big tickets).
Definitely no sneaking, don't want to get in trouble!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #14
mesropb23
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I had no front plate and very dark tints and hard no issues during my time at SC. I would recommend PS1 and PS2 because they are newer, cleaner, and wider spots. Avoid Parking Center for sure, too far from campus.
      05-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #15
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesropb23 View Post
I had no front plate and very dark tints and hard no issues during my time at SC. I would recommend PS1 and PS2 because they are newer, cleaner, and wider spots. Avoid Parking Center for sure, too far from campus.
Thanks, I'll make sure to prioritize those spots!
Appreciate 0