BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

08-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
bm11
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT

Swapped from a 2012 E92 ZCP to a 2014 GT-R Track Edition

Hello all,

I made mention in another thread, but wanted to make an official announcement. After reading about the deals on new 2014 GT-R's, I actually searched for new cars on Cars.com rather than used, and found some pretty tempting deals.

The dealer was VERY motivated to move this Track Edition, as I guess the lack of back seats makes them a tough sell. The blue accented seats are polarizing also, but this one was Jet Black, so the blue looked just fine to me. After a long negotiation, I got too much for my 2012 E92 M3 ZCP say no! So, here it is:

And I really like THIS:

Initial notes- the car is insanely fast. I've never been in a car that accelerates this hard. I have been taking it pretty easy due to the break in, however, I have gotten onto it a few times now. The car definitely makes a lot of noises, but I actually kind of like that. It's a third car for us, and I was looking for the fastest, rawest, zero compromise car I could afford. I think this fits the bill!

Thanks for reading, and for having me here,

-Bob
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 02:41 PM   #2
Nola 32/65
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 ZCP M3 6MT

Congrats on the new car, its very nice man! Black isn't my thing but still looks good.

Post some interior pics of the blue seats.

Also, get ready for that GTR tax, Its worse then the M3 tax lol. I have few friends with them and its crazy the prices they pay for mods lol. 1 friend has right at 1400whp in his, insanely fast lol.
      08-16-2014, 02:49 PM   #3
jeff2015
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GTR Gun Metal Gray Pr Edi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm11
Hello all,

I made mention in another thread, but wanted to make an official announcement. After reading about the deals on new 2014 GT-R's, I actually searched for new cars on Cars.com rather than used, and found some pretty tempting deals.

The dealer was VERY motivated to move this Track Edition, as I guess the lack of back seats makes them a tough sell. The blue accented seats are polarizing also, but this one was Jet Black, so the blue looked just fine to me. After a long negotiation, I got too much for my 2012 E92 M3 ZCP say no! So, here it is:

And I really like THIS:

Initial notes- the car is insanely fast. I've never been in a car that accelerates this hard. I have been taking it pretty easy due to the break in, however, I have gotten onto it a few times now. The car definitely makes a lot of noises, but I actually kind of like that. It's a third car for us, and I was looking for the fastest, rawest, zero compromise car I could afford. I think this fits the bill!

Thanks for reading, and for having me here,

-Bob
I also took the plunge, 15 gunmetal premium. It's awesome! I actually like hearing the clunks of tranny and that turbo spool. I can't wait to get the performance optimization service and R launch it.
      08-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #4
GTB/ZR-1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pending...

ENJOY!

I miss mine--but family comes first!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #5
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

Nice, I think everyday about getting another one.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 03:31 PM   #6
jeff2015
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgolfdr
Nice, I think everyday about getting another one.
I'm curious as to why you sold your GTR... What didn't you like about it?
      08-16-2014, 03:39 PM   #7
6underpressure
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Do you dd the car... If so how's your feeling on that thinking about making the jump to gtr
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 03:48 PM   #8
bm11
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6underpressure View Post
Do you dd the car... If so how's your feeling on that thinking about making the jump to gtr
No, it's a third car. Wife drives it to work on nice days, I drive it when I feel like a spirited drive. I think it could be DD'd though. Drove 120 miles straight through yesterday on the way home and didn't feel fatigued. The road noise is louder, and it makes a lot of weird mechanical clunks etc from the transmission area (behind you.)

It's quite a bit better on gas though...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 03:49 PM   #9
bm11
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagXKR View Post
I also took the plunge, 15 gunmetal premium. It's awesome! I actually like hearing the clunks of tranny and that turbo spool. I can't wait to get the performance optimization service and R launch it.
Congrats! R launch is amazing, probably shouldn't have tried it before the break in ended, but I needed to know how it was... And it was almost life changing. Never felt acceleration like that.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 04:14 PM   #10
jeff2015
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm11
Quote:
Congrats! R launch is amazing, probably shouldn't have tried it before the break in ended, but I needed to know how it was... And it was almost life changing. Never felt acceleration like that.
Wow! Did you have it on RRR or RR and VDC normal? I can't wait
      08-16-2014, 05:53 PM   #11
GTB/ZR-1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pending...

My old car w/ some bolt-ons & pump gas:

What I mostly did w/ it lol

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 07:11 PM   #12
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

Quote:
I had the car a few years ago when it was relatively new and I got tired of the constant questions about the car, price, how fast, etc. and anyone with a fart can trying to race. I also tracked my car often and it was expensive to run on the track with a heavy car that hauls ass so I went through brakes and tires like water. Not to mention the fluid changes in that car are expensive and when beating in the car for extended amounts of time you have to swap fluids often. I got rid of it to get back into the M3 as a duel purpose car, in hindsight I should have held onto the GTR and bought a spec e30 to satisfy my track needs, oh well. As far as the car itself, loved it, I was just a dumbass for selling. Have fun with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #13
My3rdM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 E92

Congrats! Irecently sold my 2011 e92 M3 and purchased a 2014 black...black edition, so far I Love it!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 08:45 PM   #14
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

i was looking at a GTR that looks just like that one, but not a track package. I was thinking about getting one within a year. What is cool about them is there low production numbers, and its insanely fast. a legend for sure.

but i am kind of waiting to see what other cars are coming to the market in a year or so. Plus the GTR is getting old, even though its still very fast. i kind of don't wanna buy a late production car again.

although the GTR is never a bad buy, nice car sir.
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2014, 07:33 AM   #15
bm11
Private
Rep

Quote:
Wow! Did you have it on RRR or RR and VDC normal? I can't wait
RRR. I am told that they track the car and drive it hard for 10-20 miles before shipping to dealers, so the way I figure it, a little bit of hard driving during the break in phase will NOT make one bit if difference. Hopefully I'm not an idiot. Ha!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #16
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
i was looking at a GTR that looks just like that one, but not a track package. I was thinking about getting one within a year. What is cool about them is there low production numbers, and its insanely fast. a legend for sure.

but i am kind of waiting to see what other cars are coming to the market in a year or so. Plus the GTR is getting old, even though its still very fast. i kind of don't wanna buy a late production car again.

although the GTR is never a bad buy, nice car sir.
There's always the Nismo GTR
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 06:58 PM   #17
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
its still a R35, and i heard it will cost well over 120k.

the thing is i dont need a car that is stupid fast like the nismo is. i also cant see that car being very good at daily driving.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 08:56 PM   #18
jeff2015
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
its still a R35, and i heard it will cost well over 120k.

the thing is i dont need a car that is stupid fast like the nismo is. i also cant see that car being very good at daily driving.
I heard well over $150K for Nismo... That's P Turbo S territory
      08-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #19
jeff2015
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgolfdr
Quote:
I had the car a few years ago when it was relatively new and I got tired of the constant questions about the car, price, how fast, etc. and anyone with a fart can trying to race. I also tracked my car often and it was expensive to run on the track with a heavy car that hauls ass so I went through brakes and tires like water. Not to mention the fluid changes in that car are expensive and when beating in the car for extended amounts of time you have to swap fluids often. I got rid of it to get back into the M3 as a duel purpose car, in hindsight I should have held onto the GTR and bought a spec e30 to satisfy my track needs, oh well. As far as the car itself, loved it, I was just a dumbass for selling. Have fun with it.
I'm not looking forward to the expense but gotta pay to play.
      08-18-2014, 07:17 AM   #20
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I heard well over $150K for Nismo... That's P Turbo S territory
except the Nismo will easily smoke the Turbo on the track and potentially keep up with P1, 918, and the ferrari the ferrari.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 10:09 AM   #21
Rambler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 996 Turbo; G80 M3; FJ80 LC

Awesome choice, I've come to be a big fan of the GT-R over time, including its looks. It certainly has a magnetic draw, especially with the recent incentives I've been reading about - folks getting new '14s in the low $80s!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 02:51 PM   #22
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

So, what's up with that "lack of driver involvement" myth? Any genuine feedback from GTR owners?

Btw I would stay away from any pre-2012 GTRs as the early production cars had and still have lots of transmission issues. Although they can be rebuilt nowadays (still a couple thousand $$ fix) unlike for the early adopters where buying a new transmission was the only option.
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0