BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Paint guys please help me with my issue

Hey Guys,

So today I went in and got a car wash at my favorite car wash place (hand wash) they cleaned up my car and was using a razor to get some stuff off my windows. One of guy guys dropped the razor with handle and it bounced off my quarter panel. There are some minor scratches that they were able to get out, but there are about 3 pencil tip size scratches and looks like they also burned some clear with there buffer

Here are some pictures, will take some better tomorrow

So I know many of you think it may be minor, but its annoying and very noticeable. So when I talked to the car wash they told me they would take care of it to get fixed. I had them come up with a document and we both signed it. The owner said that a bodyshop he works closely with would touch it up and wet sand it. But honestly I dont think it will fix it, anyone have this done before and on the same page as I am that portion will have to be respray'd and blended to match?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

When will folks learn..no one is going to wash and take care of your paint more carefully and better than YOU>

Rule of thumb is.. if your finger nail catches in the scratch..you will need a respray..if they are light surface scratches..then they can be compounded/polished
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
My god don't let anyone other than a well known detailer wet sand your car even if its just a small portion. That is just asking to open another can of worms, take it to the most reputable place in town, not the guys friend..

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 11:49 PM   #4
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Why was he using a razor on your car in the first place? Chemicals are all you need to get practically anything off your windows.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 11:57 PM   #5
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Not really sure, they said there was some residue or something. I usually wash it, but I had a lot to do. Im going to a bodyshop on Monday (one that works on BMWs, Ferraris) and have them quote me out to have it repainted
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 12:00 AM   #6
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
Not really sure, they said there was some residue or something. Im going to a bodyshop on Monday (one that works on BMWs, Ferraris) and have them quote me out to have it repainted
If a "detailer" is using a razor on your windows, that's a HUGE red flag to start using someone else. Maybe look into doing it yourself if you're up for it?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 12:03 AM   #7
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsisNA View Post
If a "detailer" is using a razor on your windows, that's a HUGE red flag to start using someone else. Maybe look into doing it yourself if you're up for it?
they were just a car wash. I do it myself majority of the time, but I had a lot of stuff to do for a wedding and this is what happened
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #8
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
they were just a car wash. I do it myself majority of the time, but I had a lot of stuff to do for a wedding and this is what happened
Always better to just leave the car dirty until you can devote some time to it.

Anyway, I wouldn't let the guys "friend" fix it up for you. You need to take it somewhere that they know what to do. Like tibra said, if your fingernail can catch in the scratch, then it's likely too deep.

You have a few options. You can get some touch up paint (since it's so small, it is almost like a rock chip) and fix it that way. You will probably still notice it, but most others won't even know it is there. This is a much cheaper and easier route, but whenever you look at it you'll know it's still there.

Or, you can fork over the money and do a full respray of that panel. Take it to a good shop that can match the color the right way, or it'll look different.

Either way, it's your choice. Good luck!