BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

05-01-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
PNF
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 15' YMB F80 M3

Recmmend a nice tripod?

I am looking for some tripod as I found out a few nights ago, my cheap manfrotto tripod cant stand the weight of my camera. it can, but not really sturdy.

So, I guess it is time for me to invest in a nicer set of Tripod

I am not a professional photographer.. just an amateur trying to become a serious amateur in the future.

I hope to keep the budget under $400 with a tripod + head..

I know the good ones would cost upwards of $800-1500... but not ready to spend that much yet..

Looking for a good compromise of weight/size and price.

Prefer CF or Aluminum as I'll probably take it around with me on hikng trips this year.

Anyone?

Thanks

2008 E92 335i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
Travishksar
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
08 335xi  [10.00]
I have a brand new Gitzo 1541t bought on April 26, 2010. It can handle a DSLR with a lens up to 70-200mm. I am selling it for $540 shipped. I know it's not within your budget. I am just here to give you a heads up.

Good luck!
Steve
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

My wife bought me the Vanguard Alta Pro 284CT for my birthday, and so far I've been really happy with it. Not as light as a comparable Gitzo, but at $330 from B&H, quite a bit cheaper.

It has twist-locks legs (I like them), rubber feet with retractable spikes and a removable/reversible center column that you can also set at various angles. Combine that with the legs that will go nearly flat, and you have a very low minimum height. It also has a built in spirit level. Sadly, my ballhead does not...

It is rated for 18 lbs and extends to 63" with the center column fully extended. I'm running a Manfrotto 488RC2 ballhead, so the "maximum" height is above my eye (I'm 6'0".) The legs don't rotate, so you can grab all three twist-locks at once and extend the legs (like the latest Gitzo), so it sets up pretty fast. I think the ballhead was around $120, so it was right at $450 total for the setup.

B&H link:
Vanguard Alta Pro 284CT at B&H

My other tripod (had it for over 15 years) is a Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 aluminum model with a three axis head. It is aluminum, built like a tank, and sadly weighs nearly as much. The total weight of the Alta/Ballhead is around 5lbs, whereas my Bogen/3axis tripod is nearly 10lbs. I keep it around since it is worth more to me than selling it, since you can really never have too many tripods.

If you plan to hike it anywhere, CF is the only way to go. I also looked at the Manfrotto 190CXPro4, but decided I wanted twist-locks instead of flip-locks.
2013 Ducati Multistrada Touring S, Red
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 12:57 AM   #4
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

Put your money into the ball head

There are $100-150 Aluminum tripods that'll provide good steady support, but will be somewhat heavy. You pay the big bucks in tripods for lightweight carbon fiber. The real place you can see the effect of money on performance is in the ball head. Cheaper heads will typically wobble a little bit and/or shift slightly when you tighten them down. On a limited budget I'd put the bulk of my money into a head from a well known manufacturer (eg. Kirk, Acra, RRS, etc.) rated to take at least twice the weight I expected to put on it. Spend whatever you have left on a decent set of Aluminum legs.

CF legs are nice, but you'll only feel the difference in your back rather than see it in your pictures.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 08:21 AM   #5
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Let me tell you a story. I currently have three tripods in my possession because I balked at spending the money on a good, solid tripod. If you can afford it, spend a little extra and get the Gitzo. I bought mine after struggling with cheaper (Not cheap) models and I have been consistently disappointed. Now, my stuff is rock solid, and the ease of use is way greater. No more guessing at how much higher you need to set the head so that it's where you want it to be when the weight of the camera settles, and no more being forced to use the 20 second shutter delay so that the camera stops bouncing on cheap mounts. Here's a pic. I don't regret it at all, despite the feeling of "oh crap, what have I done" when I bought it.
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 08:23 AM   #6
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
There are $100-150 Aluminum tripods that'll provide good steady support, but will be somewhat heavy. You pay the big bucks in tripods for lightweight carbon fiber. The real place you can see the effect of money on performance is in the ball head. Cheaper heads will typically wobble a little bit and/or shift slightly when you tighten them down. On a limited budget I'd put the bulk of my money into a head from a well known manufacturer (eg. Kirk, Acra, RRS, etc.) rated to take at least twice the weight I expected to put on it. Spend whatever you have left on a decent set of Aluminum legs.

CF legs are nice, but you'll only feel the difference in your back rather than see it in your pictures.
I agree totally about the ball head, but I disagree about only feeling it in your back. You'll feel CF legs in your wallet too

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #7
PNF
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 15' YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
My wife bought me the Vanguard Alta Pro 284CT for my birthday, and so far I've been really happy with it. Not as light as a comparable Gitzo, but at $330 from B&H, quite a bit cheaper.

It has twist-locks legs (I like them), rubber feet with retractable spikes and a removable/reversible center column that you can also set at various angles. Combine that with the legs that will go nearly flat, and you have a very low minimum height. It also has a built in spirit level. Sadly, my ballhead does not...

It is rated for 18 lbs and extends to 63" with the center column fully extended. I'm running a Manfrotto 488RC2 ballhead, so the "maximum" height is above my eye (I'm 6'0".) The legs don't rotate, so you can grab all three twist-locks at once and extend the legs (like the latest Gitzo), so it sets up pretty fast. I think the ballhead was around $120, so it was right at $450 total for the setup.

B&H link:
Vanguard Alta Pro 284CT at B&H

My other tripod (had it for over 15 years) is a Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 aluminum model with a three axis head. It is aluminum, built like a tank, and sadly weighs nearly as much. The total weight of the Alta/Ballhead is around 5lbs, whereas my Bogen/3axis tripod is nearly 10lbs. I keep it around since it is worth more to me than selling it, since you can really never have too many tripods.

If you plan to hike it anywhere, CF is the only way to go. I also looked at the Manfrotto 190CXPro4, but decided I wanted twist-locks instead of flip-locks.
Hey, thanks! I think this one looks pretty decent!! I think what I will do is, I will write down these recommended models and head to B&H to try them out a bit!

$300ish is definitely affordable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
Let me tell you a story. I currently have three tripods in my possession because I balked at spending the money on a good, solid tripod. If you can afford it, spend a little extra and get the Gitzo. I bought mine after struggling with cheaper (Not cheap) models and I have been consistently disappointed. Now, my stuff is rock solid, and the ease of use is way greater. No more guessing at how much higher you need to set the head so that it's where you want it to be when the weight of the camera settles, and no more being forced to use the 20 second shutter delay so that the camera stops bouncing on cheap mounts. Here's a pic. I don't regret it at all, despite the feeling of "oh crap, what have I done" when I bought it.

I know.. i have 3 very cheap tripods.. (they are ranging from $30 to $90)... but they're not doing the job...

I actually dont really have a real budget.. i can spend $200 or I can spend $1000... but I feel really bad spending $1K on a tripod that I probably dont use as often as even the macro $1000 100mm f2.8L..

I probably will up my budget to $500 to $600 at most at this point, after lookign at some in more depth..

Gizto are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$......................

BTW what model is the one in the picture you've shown? Thanks.

2008 E92 335i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #8
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

I hear you about the money, but it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Here's a link to the tripod I have, and again, I LOVE it.

That said, I spulrged on the whole thing, but you could do an aluminum with a less elaborate head for a LOT less and still have all of the functionality. I HATE the thumb catch style locks on tripod legs and I tried to buy a less expensive tripod, but after 6 months of continually being attracted to to the Gitzo, I finally said the hell with it and bought it.

http://www.gitzo.com/cms/site/gitzo/...ipods/explorer

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 03:41 PM   #9
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
In the $500 to $600 range look at the Induro CT414, or the last of the C414 stock, if you can find one. This is an 8-ply carbon fiber tripod that compares directly with the $1,000 Gitzos. I was able to compare in person at Denver Pro Photo and went with the Induro. It comes with a "real" bag, a tool kit and interchangeable spike/rubber feet.

I'm using mine with an Arca-Swiss Z1 ballhead and a Wimberley Sidekick for birds in flight. My lens is a fairly heavy EF 500mm f/4L IS, so with a lighter lens you could move down one level in size and price.