BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
View Poll Results: Would you buy a TMPS kit if only replacing tires @ 3-yrs/35K miles?
Yes. 0 0%
No. 6 100.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

02-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Question about TPMS sensor 'kit' needed if just changing tires

Hey folks, I already bought a kit for my M3 wheels siince I'll be powdercoating them and need to remove the sensors, but need to replace tires on wife's car, and Discount Tire are feeding me the BS that they need to be replaced at the tune of $30, when the freaking kit costs $11 online shipped. Told them that and said the rest was 'labor'; gimme a freaking break.

I was going to order the kit and swap it myself (takes a minute each at the most), but am questioning if I need to do that if car is only 3 years, 35K miles old.

Seems to me a nice way to make a buck, but want an expert opinion if I should remove the sensors to install a new kit when I have no leaks. When it comes the time to replace sensors (about 5 years, I'm told), I'd obviously get a kit then.

So what's the gang's opinion? Buy a TPMS kit if you're just replacing tires on same wheels/sensors or not? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

I don't know how long the sensors will last? But i would wait to replace them until they fail thats just my opinion,
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
JCtx
Major General
Rep

My question was not to replace the sensors, which I'd do until they fail indeed.

The question was if we should listen to tire places saying we need to remove sensors from wheels and put new rubber seals, valve cores, outer nuts, and washers (all sold in a kit like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TPMS-...Q5fAccessories) when only replacing tires (same wheels, same sensors). Am I making sense now???

I personally don't see the need to mess with the sensors at all since they don't have to be removed for a tire change, but want to hear from the experts.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 11:05 PM   #4
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i

If its not leaking, causing errors or other trouble don't touch them...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 11:25 PM   #5
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dascamel View Post
If its not leaking, causing errors or other trouble don't touch them...
That's what I suspected. Thanks man. Will tell Discount Tire to leave the sensors alone. Take care.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 08:40 AM   #6
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Most Tire Places Want to Replace Valves

Part of the deal is that typical pass car & SUV tires can be on vehicles for many years. Plus, it's likely a largely unnoticed (by the customer) extra profit item.

This practice has cost Discount in the past as they had a big recall over valve stems sourced from China that had some premature failures.
      02-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by calintexas View Post
Plus, it's likely a largely unnoticed (by the customer) extra profit item.
Yeah, had to ask the guy three times for the breakdown, and didn't even mention the kit. Only after adding them up and multiplying the tax I noticed it was $30 over. Creeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calintexas View Post
This practice has cost Discount in the past as they had a big recall over valve stems sourced from China that had some premature failures.
Glad you mentioned that. Will check the kit I bought from Ebay, but I can almost guarantee you is made in China too. In fact, it's very likely the ones from the factory might be made there as well, but when I remove the sensors for the PC job, will check all the parts out and decide if they need replacing or not, as car only has 3K miles. Oh, and I'll powdercoat the silver 'nuts' too . Good day folks.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yes, Hard to Avoid

Many low tech items come from China. It was actually Chinese source Dill branded valves that were the issue. It's been a couple of years. It should be mostly sorted. Ebay sourcing does add some uncertainty.
      02-28-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Additional TPMS Sensor Info

I remembered that there was quite a bit of info in a previous thread about the life of TPMS sensors and reusing them. I found the info: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...75&postcount=5

I went looking because I was concerned about sensor shelf life after the OP said that he bought a kit off ebay, but now that I've looked at the ebay link, I see that the kit is only the TPMS compatible valve steems; so, it's not an issue. Still, the linked information from Lemans_Blue_M is worth reading
      02-28-2010, 03:01 PM   #10
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

I'd tell them to pound sand. If one fails then change it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0