BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

12-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
michelley91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 JetBlack

Arrow abs/brake lights all on

Noob question here but would it be okay to take my car to the dealer to get this issue checked out without getting hassled by the dealer? Or should i get the springs removed before heading into the dealer? I have my car on b&g springs..would that be the issue causing these lights? Had these springs for a few months now and havnt had these lights come on until a few days ago.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 02:31 AM   #2
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelley91 View Post
Noob question here but would it be okay to take my car to the dealer to get this issue checked out without getting hassled by the dealer? Or should i get the springs removed before heading into the dealer? I have my car on b&g springs..would that be the issue causing these lights? Had these springs for a few months now and havnt had these lights come on until a few days ago.
The springs are unlikely the problem. You will not get hassled by the dealer for springs. Hope it all works out.
      12-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

The dealer could cite the springs as the cause..the stability control system is probably affected in some way which is why you got the lights and fault codes
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
X2Board
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: I'm back, bitches! '13 E92 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65NAPWR View Post
The springs are unlikely the problem. You will not get hassled by the dealer for springs. Hope it all works out.
Ha, you don't know dealers very well do you?

He touched the suspension, they will "find" something related to that installation to blame it on, as it's possible to damage brake components/sensors when swapping springs.
2011 Sapphire Black/Black E70 X5 M - Gone.
2010 Jerez Black/Black E90 M3 DCT -Gone-
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by X2Board View Post
Ha, you don't know dealers very well do you?

He touched the suspension, they will "find" something related to that installation to blame it on, as it's possible to damage brake components/sensors when swapping springs.
Actually I do know them very well. I've owned several BMWs all of which were lowered with springs or coilovers. In every situation, they've never complained about it or blamed lights going on (brakes, abs, or otherwise) on it. The fact is, they would have to directly correlate it beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is the modified part that is causing the issue. I don't think you know dealers very well, hhaha
      12-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65NAPWR View Post
Actually I do know them very well. I've owned several BMWs all of which were lowered with springs or coilovers. In every situation, they've never complained about it or blamed lights going on (brakes, abs, or otherwise) on it. The fact is, they would have to directly correlate it beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is the modified part that is causing the issue. I don't think you know dealers very well, hhaha
These error codes and springs could be related and no they don't have to correlate anything beyond a "shadow of a doubt"..all they need to do, to deny coverage, is raise suspicion
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
Class-of-2016
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic311 View Post
These error codes and springs could be related and no they don't have to correlate anything beyond a "shadow of a doubt"..all they need to do, to deny coverage, is raise suspicion
Good question! I actually went through this with my E46 and they totally did not bother me about it. I had some lights go on regarding brakes, they diagnosed it (forgot now how they fixed it...), but they fixed it and had me on my way. SA even complimented me on the springs / stance the car had haha. S65 is certainly right that it's not a big deal...
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class-of-2013 View Post
Good question! I actually went through this with my E46 and they totally did not bother me about it. I had some lights go on regarding brakes, they diagnosed it (forgot now how they fixed it...), but they fixed it and had me on my way. SA even complimented me on the springs / stance the car had haha. S65 is certainly right that it's not a big deal...
Well one experience is the exception not the rule..your dealer may have complimented you on your springs..his dealer may chastise him over it..you just never know.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #9
Class-of-2016
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic311 View Post
Well one experience is the exception not the rule..your dealer may have complimented you on your springs..his dealer may chastise him over it..you just never know.
That's why there are threads on this forum that talk about "mod friendly" service depts. and even specific SAs who will service the car without issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #10
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelley91 View Post
Drop by and we'll perform a quick scan beforehand. Typically, we can point out the issue quickly.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #11
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Common cause of those lights coming on simultaneously is faulty wheel speed sensor so unless you damaged one during install I would think the dealer will fix
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #12
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
My ABS warning lights came on several times summer 2011 (with my former m3) when I took the car for a long round business trip (some 4000 miles round trip) the issue cleared up along with tire pressure warning lights. I did have several car washes and it always was the case shortly after the car wash.

Bottom line wait a spell it might just clear up.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0