BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

12-31-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
SOCAL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Another Exhaust Mod!!!

So Periokid inspired me to look closer at what can be done with the OEM exhaust system. I spoke in length to a few engineers and fabricators who specialized in high performance exhaust systems for race cars and street cars. Luckily, both had either seen or done some work with the E9x series M3 exhaust system and both had the same conclusion, the OEM system is VERY VERY well designed. It eliminated all audible resonance and unwanted drone throughout the RPM range and it offers a good "tone". The fabricator who had made a "one off" exhaust said there were only a couple things that could be changed to achieve any greater efficiency while still retaining the "droneless" quality of the muffler. The first being the replacement of the tubing on the catback exhaust. For whatever reason, BMW decided to use half very nice mandrel bends and half strange looking triangle shaped bends. He recommended this be replaced with a quality, mandrel bent piece. Next, he concurred with idea of eliminating the perforated tubing inside the muffler as Periokid did.

SOOOO...

I got to work on my exhaust today, busted out the Sawzall and went to town completely removing the sheet metal from the "sound absorbtion" chamber in the exhaust to expose the perforated sections. I completely removed the two larger perforated sections and for the time being, I left the two smaller ones since I plan on doing a secondary cat delete also. We got the replacement pipes all welded in today and ready to re-pack with the gob of glass hair and seal up with a clean sheet of .066" stainless.

My mandrel bent pieces will be showing up on Monday so those will replace the stock crimped pieces and I will be good to go. If it sounds anything like Periokid's I will be happy.

I will definately get this setup dyno'd after I'm done.

Here are some pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 11:21 PM   #2
sehrgut
Major
Rep
Drives: emthree

Aw you beat me to it, ive wanted to try this but havn't got to it.
How hard was it to weld the straight small pipes in there? Did you tig-weld?
Post some vidoes when done okay? That looks legit dude, .

Oh yeah, do you have the diameter size and the length of the two pipes that you already welded inside there? So I can get the stuff ready before i start cutting. Thanks

Last edited by sehrgut; 01-01-2010 at 12:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 11:28 PM   #3
Periokid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Wow, you really cut that sucker up! Nice job! I am sure you will be happy with the sound! Are you planning to change the tips? I am thinking about it but I have no idea where to get some.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
SOCAL
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehrgut View Post
Aw you beat me to it, ive wanted to try this but havn't got to it.
How hard was it to weld the straight small pipes in there? Did you tig-weld?
Post some vidoes when done okay? That looks legit dude, .

Oh yeah, do you have the diameter size and the length of the two pipes that you already welded inside there? So I can get the stuff ready before i start cutting. Thanks
One side was easier than the other to weld up because of the way the pipes are.

Ya, its all TIG welded nice and solid. The pipes are 2.5" throughout the muffler. I'm real stoked to get this thing welded up today, just have to ditch this nasty New Years hangover.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Nicely done!! A dyno would be great. Not really expecting much but it would still be interesting.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
SOCAL
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Nicely done!! A dyno would be great. Not really expecting much but it would still be interesting.
Hopefully the combo of the secondary car delete, MS filter, and muffler mod will get me a few extra ponies. 10-15 would be nice

I am going to replace the smashed up tubing on the muffler section with nice mandrel bends so that should help it breathe a little bit as well. Every little bit helps!

Im gonna have the muffler coated with a high temp matte black powder coat and KG coat the tips matte black as well since I have absolutely no more chrome on my AW car.

Should be all done next week! excited!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #7
clubspec330i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG F39, CB F86, MB 911T

Socal,

Most M3 owner would just drop $2k, because M3 owner can, on a system and be done with it.

My exhaust is pretty much straight through but it is too loud. I didn't think it was gonna be loud since my 2000 M Coupe had a similar system and it was not even close to being loud. My resonators are out and after market muffler that resemble BB Triflow design. From 1500-2500 is drone like crazy. Beyond 2500 rpm, it sounds like a V8 race car. Beside the loudness, my whole system cost me $320.00 (parts and out source labor.)

I think I am going to wait to hear how your sounds and probably going to do something similar.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 12:14 AM   #8
veightkiller
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

take some vid!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 01:45 AM   #9
SOCAL
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by veightkiller View Post
take some vid!
Will do!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 01:48 AM   #10
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL View Post
Hopefully the combo of the secondary car delete, MS filter, and muffler mod will get me a few extra ponies. 10-15 would be nice

I am going to replace the smashed up tubing on the muffler section with nice mandrel bends so that should help it breathe a little bit as well. Every little bit helps!

Im gonna have the muffler coated with a high temp matte black powder coat and KG coat the tips matte black as well since I have absolutely no more chrome on my AW car.

Should be all done next week! excited!
How much is it to do the ceramic coating? What's KG coating?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 07:17 AM   #11
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slower than Ayrton Senna

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
nice job!!!
      01-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #12
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Are you replacing the tubing from resonator back to the can (blue markup) or just a section(s) of the tubing along that path (red and/or yellow markup)?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #13
SOCAL
Private First Class
Rep

Finnegan-
I am going to replace the section between the red / yellow circles. This is teh section that the tubing is compressed and wierd shapes.

Aus-
Its actually a high temp powder coating, can with stand temps upto 1200 degrees. I got a rough price quote on the phone of $120. Could be more, but hopefully less. KG coatings are awesome!!! I use the KG 2400 gun kote oven cured finishes. Super durable, and look great. They are meant for firearm finishing but work on many applications. Check out KGCoatings.com.

Periokid-
Ya, I drilled out the rivets on the tips last night and took them off to get coated matte black. I was going to go with diff. tips but figured that would be worthless since I was just coatnig them black.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #14
SOCAL
Private First Class
Rep

Welding is all done, looks great, I used a die grinder and ground out most of the welds, from 10 feet away it looks pretty good. It will look great after the powder coat. The other pic below is the section that will be replaced next week after I get my new mandrel bends. After working with the exhaust the last few days I came to the realization that is would be darned hard to improve upon it. After I replace the crimped tubes with nice quality bends, it will be great. There are a couple sections inside the muffler that are close to 90 degree bends but they are nice mandrel bent sections of 2.5" piping, hardly causing any resistance. Im gonna bolt it up tomorrow for a test run. Videos to follow.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #15
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL View Post
Its actually a high temp powder coating, can with stand temps upto 1200 degrees. I got a rough price quote on the phone of $120. Could be more, but hopefully less. KG coatings are awesome!!! I use the KG 2400 gun kote oven cured finishes. Super durable, and look great. They are meant for firearm finishing but work on many applications. Check out KGCoatings.com.
do you think i could paint the 4 tips with this?
i'd love to have black tips not the pain in the ass to clean chorme ones
could it take constant cleaning etc, without peeling??
good thing is i would not void my warranty since it would still be the OEM tip
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #16
SOCAL
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
do you think i could paint the 4 tips with this?
i'd love to have black tips not the pain in the ass to clean chorme ones
could it take constant cleaning etc, without peeling??
good thing is i would not void my warranty since it would still be the OEM tip
Most definately, the stuff is absolutely amazing. Its made to withstand some pretty harsh chemicals and good amounts of heat. As with everything, it is all about the surface prep. The tips need to be media blasted and cleaned with acetone of some sort of evaporative cleaner that wont leave residue and gets rid of oil. I am gonna try and get mine painted tomorrow so you will see how they look then.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 08:22 PM   #17
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
would love to see pics when you're done
i'd love to have flat black exhaust tips
the stock ones are a pain in the ass to clean
i feel the black won't show when they have carbon buildup since they are black anyway
and i liked the black OEM tips on my old E30 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 11:05 PM   #18
sehrgut
Major
Rep
Drives: emthree

Damn thats a nice job, can't wait to hear how that sounds. Did you restuff the muffler with the sound absorbing material?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 11:20 PM   #19
SOCAL
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehrgut View Post
Damn thats a nice job, can't wait to hear how that sounds. Did you restuff the muffler with the sound absorbing material?
thanks! Ya, I re-stuffed it just like Periokid did. Videos tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 11:54 PM   #20
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

Nice job on the mod. Keep us posted on the tips. I wanted to do that. How are you going to reattach them? I see you drilled out the rivets already.
      01-03-2010, 01:22 AM   #21
SOCAL
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post
Nice job on the mod. Keep us posted on the tips. I wanted to do that. How are you going to reattach them? I see you drilled out the rivets already.
I'm just gonna re-rivet them right back in. I actually found the right size rivets at my work so I'm all set.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 05:50 AM   #22
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Let us know if we can buy replacement connecting pipes from your fabricator

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0