BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-10-2017, 11:20 AM   #1
CarbonFibre
Enlisted Member
44
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: BMW 328i xDrive
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

A reminder of why I love the S85 V10

Just listen to that noise. When can BMW M make a car like THIS again. I don't need turbos, AWD, or quick 0-100 km/h times. Give me a memorable, emotional, and characterful drive. Just my $0.02. Now to start looking in the classifieds for an E60 M5 manual...

Appreciate 4
ItsGary339.00
ried531.00

      12-10-2017, 12:48 PM   #2
JsL
Captain
United_States
285
Rep
945
Posts

Drives: 2011 AW M3 ZCP VF620
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (2)

The people at BMW who said "Let's make a sedan and throw a bespoke V10 in it. Who cares if it cost us more money to produce the engine and it eats up a lot of fuel." They should be applauded.
Appreciate 8
kyrix1st150.50
Law2297.50
fndrsn65.50
tetsuo111573.00
Rajmun340311.50

      12-12-2017, 10:08 AM   #3
MParallel
Mr. OEM
MParallel's Avatar
Netherlands
130
Rep
420
Posts

Drives: '98 AW M3 3.2 SMG Cabrio
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The Netherlands

iTrader: (0)

Totally agree with you. Although for me it's always been about ever owning an old school N/A I6 (I would add a V10 if I had the funds though!)

People's first reaction is always: my *insert car name* is faster than yours!

Who cares? Like you said, this is not about having the fastest car out there setting Nürburgring laptimes. It's all about the experience of driving an old school M car, which you know will never come back.
__________________
'98 BMW M3 3.2 SMG Cabrio • Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz • Deutschland-ausführung

Appreciate 1
      12-17-2017, 08:42 PM   #4
Dr. Dre
the doctor
United_States
126
Rep
248
Posts

Drives: E46 M3 Alpine White
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: CA, Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

I love the engine and you can pick one up for nothing. However, anything goes wrong with that engine you're paying out the ass.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 08:49 PM   #5
kyrix1st
First Lieutenant
kyrix1st's Avatar
Japan
151
Rep
380
Posts

Drives: E36 M3 Euro, E36/7, E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Kyoto

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
Totally agree with you. Although for me it's always been about ever owning an old school N/A I6 (I would add a V10 if I had the funds though!)

People's first reaction is always: my *insert car name* is faster than yours!

Who cares? Like you said, this is not about having the fastest car out there setting Nürburgring laptimes. It's all about the experience of driving an old school M car, which you know will never come back.
Up to E92 and E60, there was this certain German-geeks-done-good-about attitude in BMW M engines, which I don't feel quite the same with the new ones.

Maybe it is because I am not a big fan of turbocharging in the first place, but it does take a lot more engineering effort to get the best out of an NA engine.
__________________
Pass me if you can.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 11:25 AM   #6
KenB925
Private First Class
351
Rep
157
Posts

Drives: ZL1, Raptor
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonFibre View Post
Just listen to that noise. When can BMW M make a car like THIS again. I don't need turbos, AWD, or quick 0-100 km/h times. Give me a memorable, emotional, and characterful drive. Just my $0.02. Now to start looking in the classifieds for an E60 M5 manual...
Good luck with that, those are very hart to find.

I had an E60 M5 back in the day it was a lot of fun, engine was great...SMG trans...not so much. I got rid of it just before the warranty went out.

It was thirsty for oil and fuel, but damn it sounded great.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 11:55 AM   #7
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
R3dliner's Avatar
United_States
605
Rep
1,535
Posts

Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: NYC

iTrader: (4)

That S85 doe sexy af. Only needs a exhaust to scream like a F1 car.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 12:10 PM   #8
ECSTuning
ECSTuning's Avatar
United_States
548
Rep
10,682
Posts

Drives: Independent Tuning Specialists
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (18)

Send a message via AIM to ECSTuning
The sound of the S85 will always outweigh any downsides... and now I'm looking for one once again after listening to that symphony.

-James
__________________

Want a chance to win a VW MK7.5 GTI?
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
800.924.5172 | OEM BMW Part Number Search
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 10:01 AM   #9
Shaan
Second Lieutenant
-36
Rep
218
Posts

Drives: '11 M3 / '14 Tundra
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
Good luck with that, those are very hart to find.

I had an E60 M5 back in the day it was a lot of fun, engine was great...SMG trans...not so much. I got rid of it just before the warranty went out.

It was thirsty for oil and fuel, but damn it sounded great.
same. i really miss my m5, but that SMG was horrible. had to get rid of it before warranty
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 07:37 AM   #10
MParallel
Mr. OEM
MParallel's Avatar
Netherlands
130
Rep
420
Posts

Drives: '98 AW M3 3.2 SMG Cabrio
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The Netherlands

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaan View Post
same. i really miss my m5, but that SMG was horrible. had to get rid of it before warranty
What exactly is so bad about SMG3? A specific component?
__________________
'98 BMW M3 3.2 SMG Cabrio • Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz • Deutschland-ausführung

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 11:21 AM   #11
KenB925
Private First Class
351
Rep
157
Posts

Drives: ZL1, Raptor
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
What exactly is so bad about SMG3? A specific component?
It was an early automated manual, they were not totally sorted out.

I always said that nobody bought an E60 M5 because of the test drive, around town they were not very good. Sometimes it would look/feel like someone who was trying to learn to drive a stick.

You could catch it sleeping, if you were slowing down for a red light and it change to green and you got back on the gas it could (not always) get confused.

One of the worst things is if you were pointed down hill and trying to parallel park, meaning backing up hill at low speed, it was a mess.

Basically low speed, around town it was just not 'ready' on the highway or on a back road when you were at speed it was awesome, you could mash the gas in 7th gear it would immediately (at least it felt immediate at the time, it would probably feel slow now) drop to 3rd and take off screaming like a maniac.

There was also the issue of the hydraulic pump in the trans that was very expensive to replace, and had a bad reputation.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2017, 12:14 PM   #12
MParallel
Mr. OEM
MParallel's Avatar
Netherlands
130
Rep
420
Posts

Drives: '98 AW M3 3.2 SMG Cabrio
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The Netherlands

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
It was an early automated manual, they were not totally sorted out.

I always said that nobody bought an E60 M5 because of the test drive, around town they were not very good. Sometimes it would look/feel like someone who was trying to learn to drive a stick.

You could catch it sleeping, if you were slowing down for a red light and it change to green and you got back on the gas it could (not always) get confused.

One of the worst things is if you were pointed down hill and trying to parallel park, meaning backing up hill at low speed, it was a mess.

Basically low speed, around town it was just not 'ready' on the highway or on a back road when you were at speed it was awesome, you could mash the gas in 7th gear it would immediately (at least it felt immediate at the time, it would probably feel slow now) drop to 3rd and take off screaming like a maniac.

There was also the issue of the hydraulic pump in the trans that was very expensive to replace, and had a bad reputation.
I'm familiar with SMG's quirks, although that is SMG1. Just as with SMG2, the pump eventually fails. But it's not the pump itself, which is fine, but the electric motor running the pump.

At least with SMG3 BMW realized this and you can buy just the motor, which you can't for SMG1 and 2. Although by now companieshave jumped into that void.
__________________
'98 BMW M3 3.2 SMG Cabrio • Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz • Deutschland-ausführung

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 01:02 PM   #13
KenB925
Private First Class
351
Rep
157
Posts

Drives: ZL1, Raptor
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
I'm familiar with SMG's quirks, although that is SMG1. Just as with SMG2, the pump eventually fails. But it's not the pump itself, which is fine, but the electric motor running the pump.

At least with SMG3 BMW realized this and you can buy just the motor, which you can't for SMG1 and 2. Although by now companieshave jumped into that void.
Back then the dealer was pretty much the only option. $$$
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #14
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
URBAN LEGEND's Avatar
United_States
195
Rep
2,905
Posts

Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

The only reason that motor existed was Williams/BMW F1 effort. Bring it back!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 01:27 PM   #15
RABAUKE
Rear Admiral
RABAUKE's Avatar
Canada
3692
Rep
1,273
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: The Golden Horseshoe, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
Totally agree with you. Although for me it's always been about ever owning an old school N/A I6 (I would add a V10 if I had the funds though!)

People's first reaction is always: my *insert car name* is faster than yours!

Who cares? Like you said, this is not about having the fastest car out there setting Nürburgring laptimes. It's all about the experience of driving an old school M car, which you know will never come back.
This is an excellent point and a place I've been coming to for a long time. Even if you buy the current fastest car around the ring for bragging rights or your ego next month it won't be the fastest anymore. It's getting almost comical what's happening to performance. When I was a kid, 250HP was a big deal, now it's 500HP or nothing.

I like to drive, in fact I love to drive. I have no interest in a flappy paddle car, their primary function is to be quick, which is all good, but I think the real joy comes from shifting your own gears, that the skill and ability part. You don't need to have the fastest car to have a blast driving. I'm going to suggest that most of the folks driving these blisteringly fast cars can't drive all that well, they can afford the payments is all. These cars can get you into trouble really quickly even with all the nanny stuff on board.

I recently bought a 993, six speed. What a treat to drive, it's fast enough to let me really enjoy and as a friend of mine often says about his car is that it's more car than I am driver. Sure, a new GT2 would be great, but who are you competing against at that point.....just take your car out on the twisties and enjoy.

Peace
Appreciate 2
FrozenAg266.00
tetsuo111573.00

      01-12-2018, 06:24 PM   #16
BMWM5NYC
Lieutenant
BMWM5NYC's Avatar
207
Rep
517
Posts

Drives: 2013 F10 Monte Carlo Blue M5
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

I miss my 6 speed that I had. My F10M5 is a better car over all. But that exhaust sound of that V10 at high rpms was pure SEX.
__________________
Formally known as BMWM3NYC
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 07:24 AM   #17
yco
ignorance is bliss..
72
Rep
265
Posts

Drives: E71 X6M '10
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Istanbul & Kiev

iTrader: (0)

cant trust my financial part for buying an E60 M.. its a really really special car with an ordinary look which actually its really thing i want..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 08:00 AM   #18
MParallel
Mr. OEM
MParallel's Avatar
Netherlands
130
Rep
420
Posts

Drives: '98 AW M3 3.2 SMG Cabrio
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The Netherlands

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
...I have no interest in a flappy paddle car, their primary function is to be quick, which is all good, but I think the real joy comes from shifting your own gears, that the skill and ability part...
While I do like shifting gears myself in manual form, the flappy paddle thing I find pretty cool. Not something I miss when driving my flappy paddles E36 M3.
__________________
'98 BMW M3 3.2 SMG Cabrio • Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz • Deutschland-ausführung

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 02:52 AM   #19
Caliboy951
Private First Class
Caliboy951's Avatar
United_States
90
Rep
190
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4 w/comp package
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: So Cali

iTrader: (0)

I sure miss that scream at WOT!
I agree these are ok to own with warranties, no way without!!!!
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:06 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST