BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

10-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
SlashM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 M3 interlagos

E9X aftermarket cam?

Does anyone know about this shrick camshaft upgrade. Cause I can't find anybody that has done this to there car. I want info on this.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 01:07 AM   #2
brado
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

I don't have any knowledge on it, but just based in the setup of the m3 stock I can't imagine you would gain substantial power from camshafts. The engine already puts out more than 100hp per liter. Other NA engines out there boasting that same statistic need a lot of supporting mods to gain horsepower from "hot cams"

But like I said I'm only speculating, if anyone has real knowledge in this area they should chime in
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
SlashM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brado
I don't have any knowledge on it, but just based in the setup of the m3 stock I can't imagine you would gain substantial power from camshafts. The engine already puts out more than 100hp per liter. Other NA engines out there boasting that same statistic need a lot of supporting mods to gain horsepower from "hot cams"

But like I said I'm only speculating, if anyone has real knowledge in this area they should chime in
There's a tuning company that claims with cam tune and exhaust is claiming over 50 hp
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlashM3 View Post
Does anyone know about this shrick camshaft upgrade. Cause I can't find anybody that has done this to there car. I want info on this.
Actually the cams do add some power, its just the cost per hp ratio is terrible. If you got someone that can install them and index them properly with the VANOS and you can get it tuned it could be worth 20rwhp.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
There's a tuning company that claims with cam tune and exhaust is claiming over 50 hp
I looked into this a year ago and there are a couple of threads here that talk about these cams.

I know VAC uses them and has them installed on some cars (from what I read in the threads) and the only place I know that tunes them is Evolve.

The power is all in the tuning. I wanted to do cams after my warranty is up in a year, but the tuning is what has been holding me back.

Some people spend bank on exhaust systems that net less power to the wheels that cams, so if the $ is worth it to the user than its worth doing. A stroker would complement this upgrade as well.

Perhaps some vendors can chime in?
      10-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
SlashM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyix
Quote:
I looked into this a year ago and there are a couple of threads here that talk about these cams.

I know VAC uses them and has them installed on some cars (from what I read in the threads) and the only place I know that tunes them is Evolve.

The power is all in the tuning. I wanted to do cams after my warranty is up in a year, but the tuning is what has been holding me back.

Perhaps some vendors can chime in?
I would love to know about. It. Cause with full bolt on. Could be worst more then 60hp. And I think that should dramatically change the car around in. Terms of tq also. A rear differential should put some more power down.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Here are some threads:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369346

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...hlight=schrick

One thread mentions 6 months of tuning, not sure who tuned those things!

And this one is Evolve and their tuning package, although they say its still under development . Scroll down and you will see the Sport Cams: http://www.evolveautomotive.com/e92-...-packages_955/