BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

04-27-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Lambda adapters?

Can someone explain what these "Lambda" Adapters do please? From what I gather on the forum is they must go over or cover the o2 sensors or somehow trick the sytem in thinking they sense the correct levels and don't through CEL codes, is that correct? What is the application? What exhaust mods are they used for? Are they reversable? Installation? Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 12:55 PM   #2
dogears
My master volume goes to 11
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

Looks like they are little mini catalytic converters in the adapter. The O2 screws into the mini cat. The sensor then sees a "catalyzed" input so no code is thrown. Pretty cool stuff. Doesn't change the fact that your exhaust will still stink if you don't have at least one set of cats there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
Can someone explain what these "Lambda" Adapters do please? From what I gather on the forum is they must go over or cover the o2 sensors or somehow trick the sytem in thinking they sense the correct levels and don't through CEL codes, is that correct? What is the application? What exhaust mods are they used for? Are they reversable? Installation? Thanks,
      04-27-2009, 01:58 PM   #3
Checkcaptain
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogears View Post
Looks like they are little mini catalytic converters in the adapter. The O2 screws into the mini cat. The sensor then sees a "catalyzed" input so no code is thrown. Pretty cool stuff. Doesn't change the fact that your exhaust will still stink if you don't have at least one set of cats there.
You are absolutely right! The Akrapovic does not stink since there is still one set of 100 Cell HFC and one set of resonators in the X-pipe! By the way the Akrapovic X-pipe might be available separately without the mufflers shortly.
It also would be fine to get some feedback on this idea from you under info@krenzer-performance-parts.com

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Interesting, would there be any need to get the lambda adapters if I go with the Encore Innovation X-pipe, even though it has HFC? I'd think not but just incase it sets off a CEL maybe? When I talked to the dealer last week, they could not garantee the EI pipe would not set off CEL's as he said every car is different. I got no problem swopping out two pipes once a year but don't want to have a check light that I constantly have to have the dealer reset. Any inputs?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
Checkcaptain
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 GTS

Quote:
Interesting, would there be any need to get the lambda adapters if I go with the Encore Innovation X-pipe, even though it has HFC? I'd think not but just incase it sets off a CEL maybe? When I talked to the dealer last week, they could not garantee the EI pipe would not set off CEL's as he said every car is different. I got no problem swopping out two pipes once a year but don't want to have a check light that I constantly have to have the dealer reset. Any inputs?

I can not speak for Encore Innovation, I only can speak for Akrapovic: No CEL guaranteed!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 03:20 PM   #6
Encore Innovation
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
no need, we have HFC with our system and no CEL.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #7
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info fella's.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 05:48 AM   #8
gasterus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6

Where can i buy the lambda adapters?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 07:05 AM   #9
BMW-Motorsport
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2 Fast 4 You

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasterus View Post
Where can i buy the lambda adapters?
Mine were provided together with my Akrapovic exhaust
Maybe you can ask at: info@krenzer-performance-parts.com
That is the dealer, who provided my system - maybe he can help you getting some.
Appreciate 0