BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

01-29-2013, 11:51 PM   #23
IrishCoffee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

So, very interesting findings tonight after pulling the subwoofers out from under the seats.

Turns out my intuition on this was correct. The speakers are not blown. It is a connection issue. One of the leads that connects to the voice coil is broken off of BOTH speakers. If I connect my multimeter to the end of the lead that is still glued to the cone and the other good lead I get reasonable resistance readings. The cone moves freely as well so that's another sign that the speaker itself is fine.

So it looks like this is just a case of a defective part. In my case it looks like the same thing happened to both woofers over time. That would explain why I noticed no bass when I faded from one side to the other a while back. Then eventually both were disconnected.

The amp is fine and my aftermarket sub in the trunk is providing some extra fill in the mean time. I just turned the crossover off.

So, I'll take the subs to the dealership to show them what happened and hopefully they won't hassle me and just order the parts. I would fix it myself, but the woofers are so low profile that getting a soldering iron in there is risking damaging the cone.

Here's a pic of the lead that has basically disconnected from the glued portion of the wire on the cone. You can see the other lead that is still connected fine in the background.
Name:  2013-01-29_21-35-12_282 (1024x577).jpg
Views: 3901
Size:  273.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #24
IrishCoffee
Lieutenant
Rep

Went by the dealership and showed them the speakers. The tech agreed that they just needed new ones because they were defective. The SA is ordering them. Sweet.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #25
two+2
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP Grey Black

This is helpful thank you.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 01:27 AM   #26
Jch99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Hmmm can you check this without removing the sub?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #27
IrishCoffee
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchan99
Hmmm can you check this without removing the sub?

Thanks
The only thing I can think to do without pulling the woofers out is to check the resistance with a multimeter at the harness for the amp. This is probably harder than just removing the speaker though.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #28
IrishCoffee
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCoffee View Post
Went by the dealership and showed them the speakers. The tech agreed that they just needed new ones because they were defective. The SA is ordering them. Sweet.
Update:

After 4-5 trips to the dealership and an enormous hassle, the dealer (BMW of San Diego) is now telling me that they won't fix it.

They are telling me that because I tapped the subwoofer wires they won't cover it. They seem to be stuck on assuming that I was powering the stock subs with an external amplifier. I'm clearly just tapping the wires for high-level source for an external sub, but they must not understand what that means. To make it more annoying they told me they would cover it if I returned my car to stock, so I uninstalled all my equipment as well. Sure glad I did that.

Why on earth would anyone power stock speakers with an aftermarket amplifier? That doesn't even make sense. Even if that were the case, I'm not sure how exactly that would cause the speaker leads to snap. If I melted the voice coil maybe I would understand... kinda.

I think this is just a case of not enough mobile electronic knowledge to make an informed decision. I understand that I made a modification and that there are always warranty risks involved, but this just doesn't make any sense. The parts are defective as the photos above show.

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #29
djseto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge View Post
Yep! "Enhanced" my a**! This is the only thing I dislike in my M3. Absolutely no bass! I recently rented a '11 Dodge Avenger, and the system blew away the M3's. The Avenger's bass was just amazing... go figure
Good/Loud Bass and quality sound are different things. It's really a personal preference but I'm a bit of an audio snob and so many people think the measure of a good sound system (home or car) is how hard the bass hits. I'm not saying this system is stellar, but the high and mid range are respectable for a factory system. Is there better? Yes. Can you do better aftermarket? Absolutely. While I've never been in an Avenger, I've found most premium sound systems in American made cars are very tailored towards playing loud with lots of bass, but I always find the ability to clearly do vocals is usually pretty weak. Again...it's a personal preference.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #30
IrishCoffee
Lieutenant
Rep

Another Update:

I pulled the speakers out, peeled the spider back carefully, replaced both leads on both speakers, reglued the spider, and reinstalled. Everything is working again.

If I knew the hassle that the dealer would have put me through I would have just done this to begin with.

BTW, this is not a very easy procedure. If you have the same problem that I did and you aren't comfortable with a soldering iron and a multimeter then I'd recommend dropping your woofers at a speaker repair shop. It certainly would be cheaper than going through BMW.
Appreciate 1
Timujin351.50
      04-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #31
DeleteAccountPlease
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 0

Just happened to me today. Have an appointment set tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #32
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Ive had my door speaks replaced as well as my amp... the whole thing took 4/5 trips to BMW.

NOW i am getting DSC malfunction lights that come on erratically ad well as reduced power. I've paid nearly 1k for replacement work/sensors and the problem is still evident.

Those of you who had error lights after the replacement of speakers, what was the fix for them?

Thanks,

Colin
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #33
djseto
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Any updates on this from anyone?

I had the same issue yesterday. I was driving and poof, my bass was gone like a fart in the wind. When I got home, I shut off the car and restarted it. Same problem. I came back about 20 min later, started the car, and the bass was back. I've got an appointment with my dealer next week but if I can't replicate this, I know it's gonna be hell trying to convince my dealer to fix this. I'm out of factory warranty but the extended warranty I bought does cover the factory stereo/NAV...but if I can't show them the problem...I think this is going to turn into a huge pain in the ass.
Appreciate 1
Timujin351.50
      06-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #34
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by djseto View Post
Any updates on this from anyone?

I had the same issue yesterday. I was driving and poof, my bass was gone like a fart in the wind. When I got home, I shut off the car and restarted it. Same problem. I came back about 20 min later, started the car, and the bass was back. I've got an appointment with my dealer next week but if I can't replicate this, I know it's gonna be hell trying to convince my dealer to fix this. I'm out of factory warranty but the extended warranty I bought does cover the factory stereo/NAV...but if I can't show them the problem...I think this is going to turn into a huge pain in the ass.
I have the same problem. Bass will go away and sometimes come back after a while. I created a thread about it before and no one responded. The dealer couldn't reproduce the problem and told me everything is fine.
      06-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #35
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

This thread is maybe the best argument ever for replacing the underseats and adding a 12" in the trunk, damn near perfect upgrade IMO if you've got EPS already, since the rest of the speakers are top-notch.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #36
djseto
Second Lieutenant
Rep

That's the back up plan. If the dealer can't reproduce or fix it, I'll look to just go aftermarket but I'm hoping to avoid that for now.

Are the Mids/Tweets powered by a different amp? When I lost the bass and turned up the volume, they seemed to lack clarity...but it was hard to really tell while focusing on driving...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #37
RaddM4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 & 991 GT3

Just happened to me a few days ago. Have an appointment set Monday. Bass is gone. They told me to check my battery and make sure it was fully charged. I trickled it all night and still no bass. Premium isn't sounding so premium! Frustrated.

They just had to replace both of my motor mounts last week. I was getting a pretty gnarly sound under the hood at WOT.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #38
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaddM3
Just happened to me a few days ago. Have an appointment set Monday. Bass is gone. They told me to check my battery and make sure it was fully charged. I trickled it all night and still no bass. Premium isn't sounding so premium! Frustrated.

They just had to replace both of my motor mounts last week. I was getting a pretty gnarly sound under the hood at WOT.
if you get no Bass, most likely Subs blew, happened in my E92 twice...
easy fix,- dealer just replaces subs under warranty.
Dealer may not have subs in stock and would have to order.
You should have your M3 back and drive it while you waiting for subs.
Dealer can only order subs once they determine it is subs that needed to be replaced... no biggie.
Please PM me if you have any questions!
      09-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #39
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaddM3 View Post

They actually told you to check the battery

That just shows how dumb the dealers can be sometimes. I don't see how you would come to the conclusion that no bass = dead battery. Especially since the alternator pretty much runs most of the electronic accessories when the engine is running.
      09-30-2013, 02:03 PM   #40
Longbow64
_______
Rep
Drives: 15 M3, 13 X3 35i MSport

See my post here.

***HELP*** Loud static - back RH speaker http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571254
      09-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #41
RaddM4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 & 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimabimmer View Post
if you get no Bass, most likely Subs blew, happened in my E92 twice...
easy fix,- dealer just replaces subs under warranty.
Dealer may not have subs in stock and would have to order.
You should have your M3 back and drive it while you waiting for subs.
Dealer can only order subs once they determine it is subs that needed to be replaced... no biggie.
Please PM me if you have any questions!
It ended up as a blown amp. Sub's are good.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 08:24 AM   #42
Disturbed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I think this sound system sucks. Bass cranked all the way up, treble is about 7/10. On the eq I have the low tones at +10, +7, 0, +3, +7. Fade 0, balance is 0. Doesn't even make a thump. Its clear but no thump can't even feel it kick in the seat at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 06:55 PM   #43
WickedE93
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: White E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by djseto View Post
That's the back up plan. If the dealer can't reproduce or fix it, I'll look to just go aftermarket but I'm hoping to avoid that for now.

Are the Mids/Tweets powered by a different amp? When I lost the bass and turned up the volume, they seemed to lack clarity...but it was hard to really tell while focusing on driving...
I know this is an old threat to bump but I'm having the exact same issue. I just lost all bass and mid bass on my car and the highs sound very unclear. Can you please let me know what the issue was and how you resolved it? Thanks. if anyone else can chime in I'd truly appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 11:48 AM   #44
Cali_Creez
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT; BNR34; S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedE93 View Post
I know this is an old threat to bump but I'm having the exact same issue. I just lost all bass and mid bass on my car and the highs sound very unclear. Can you please let me know what the issue was and how you resolved it? Thanks. if anyone else can chime in I'd truly appreciate it.
Just read the thread. There were various resolutions.

One guy had to replace the leads on the sub, a few replaced the subs altogether, and I believe another had an amp issue.

I'm actually having this issue now with my car that just came out of its warranty period.

Sounds like the best solution for me will be to upgrade the woofers under the seats. Ironically, I have just bought two JL W7s for the trunk and was going to install them this weekend.

Quick question... Would anyone happen to know if the subs under the seat provide the only source of mid level tones? It appears that without my subs working, all I can hear are high notes.

Thanks in advance...

From California, but currently living in Japan.
2001 Bnr34 vspec2
2011 e92 m3
2013 s1000rr
Appreciate 0