BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

05-17-2009, 02:02 AM   #1
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Is Your M3 an Idiot Driver/Accident Magnet?

So I'm at 700 miles on my E93 and loving every minute of it....except for the evasive action I frequently end up taking to save my car (which is still unscathed).

Last weekend I was merging onto the freeway and the idiot in front of me came to a complete stop as we were merging (no traffic, no reason) onto the freeway from the on-ramp. At the same time some other idiot in an F350 is tailgating me. Fortunately I was 4+ car lengths behind "the stopper" and I braked and also cut to the right onto the shoulder to avoid having the truck slam into my rear end (the truck stopped just shy of "the stopper's" bumper).

Tonight I'm in the outside lane of two left hand turn lanes. There is one car in front of me in the same lane and a single pimped-out Suburban in the inside left turn lane. As we round the corner the SUV doesn't just go a little wide (which I've come to expect) but you guessed it the damn thing comes completely over into my lane! Evasive action required again.

I have 2 other examples I won't bother to list. WTF! In each case I was driving safely--no speeding, no fast or unexpected moves, just minding my business, doing some normal driving. I can't recall this many close calls in the past 10 years!

Anyone else finding their M3 to be an idiot driver/accident magnet? Hopefully this is just an odd set of coincidences. I'd just like the car (and me) to make it to the 1,200 mile break-in!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 06:00 AM   #2
Georgeair
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

My wife and I have joke for years that every new car we've bought must come with the neon "HIT ME!" option. We can't see it, but others apparently can.

Happy dodging!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 08:17 AM   #3
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V8 S

Yeah - my M3 (as well as my ex-Z4M Coupe) seem to attract idiot drivers too. These cars seem to bring out childishness in some people. I regularly get mini-vans, SUVs, etc. trying to get ahead of me for no particular reason. Some seem to want to race.

I have never seen this sort of behavior on the Germanic Autobahn system. I think this is because most cars cannot keep up with M cars, AMG cars, the P-car etc. because of the unregulated speeds on 75% of the highway.

Over here the limit is 65mph (100kph aka 62.5mph in Ontario) and everybody seems to think they have a big willy and can race a Porsche 911 Turbo.

Last edited by enfield; 05-17-2009 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 08:31 AM   #4
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

What I have is people trying to race me in minivans and shit like that...
      05-17-2009, 08:57 AM   #5
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
So I'm at 700 miles on my E93 and loving every minute of it....except for the evasive action I frequently end up taking to save my car (which is still unscathed).

Last weekend I was merging onto the freeway and the idiot in front of me came to a complete stop as we were merging (no traffic, no reason) onto the freeway from the on-ramp. At the same time some other idiot in an F350 is tailgating me. Fortunately I was 4+ car lengths behind "the stopper" and I braked and also cut to the right onto the shoulder to avoid having the truck slam into my rear end (the truck stopped just shy of "the stopper's" bumper).

Tonight I'm in the outside lane of two left hand turn lanes. There is one car in front of me in the same lane and a single pimped-out Suburban in the inside left turn lane. As we round the corner the SUV doesn't just go a little wide (which I've come to expect) but you guessed it the damn thing comes completely over into my lane! Evasive action required again.

I have 2 other examples I won't bother to list. WTF! In each case I was driving safely--no speeding, no fast or unexpected moves, just minding my business, doing some normal driving. I can't recall this many close calls in the past 10 years!

Anyone else finding their M3 to be an idiot driver/accident magnet? Hopefully this is just an odd set of coincidences. I'd just like the car (and me) to make it to the 1,200 mile break-in!
If you live in Sacramento, you need to move. I have noticed drivers in Sacramento and surrounded areas are ultra aggressive and don't have the best lane change and brake application judgement.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 08:57 AM   #6
jaserion
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Onsh'mo...

yeah, i got plenty of that and a lot of ricers too.
2008 E92 M3 - Gone
2006 E90 325i - Gone
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 11:39 AM   #7
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by knifegun View Post
If you live in Sacramento, you need to move. I have noticed drivers in Sacramento and surrounded areas are ultra aggressive and don't have the best lane change and brake application judgement.
Sacto drivers are the worst. I used to haul grapes through there on the way to Lodi. Used to get cut off regularly. Desperately wanted to just run into them. Those are the people that eventually prove Darwin correct. They end up self-cleaning the gene pool.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 11:44 AM   #8
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
I just have trouble with the cops going the speed limit.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 12:02 PM   #9
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

Maybe it is the car must mostly there are a lot of dumb drivers.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 12:45 PM   #10
sirploppy
5 Star General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3

There are also people that try to get into accidents intentionally for an insurance scam. People pull the parking brake on an onramp, slam on the brakes for no reason... When they see a nice BMW they might think "jackpot!".
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 12:54 PM   #11
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

Happens to me ALL THE TIME. I really don't think it is the car, though. There are just morons everywhere. Everybody is too preoccupied with doing something else while driving. It is amazing.

Seems to happen to me a lot when driving other people's cars. Most recent incident involved me driving the brand new Z4 3.5 DCT S-drive after doing the pre-delivery check. Got cut off by some idiot in a beater pickup truck. He almost came over into my fender but I was able to avoid him. He didn't seem to be too worried about severely damaging a $60k car. After I honked to warn him he was doing something unsafe, he started making gestures at me out the window. Nice......

Andy
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 01:39 PM   #12
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

-
I worry about this very issue w/ all the trucks in my area - you know the type, raised like they are trying to clamber up the Empire State and w/ twin pipes that reach past the roof line - for some reason (clueless about physics) - the drivers of these behemoths think they can do 85 mph and sit right behind one's arse - and this is while I'm driving a 5er let along a forthcoming M3.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 02:05 PM   #13
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Yep.

Just yesterday I had a guy nail the gas to sneak in front of me at the last second before a lane merge instead of just falling in behind. There is a light before the merge which was red and of course he took a good part of my braking zone. I could have stopped behind him, but instead I quickly jumped into the lane he just came from because I knew I'd be able to get around him at the light (we were each the first car at the light in our lanes). I looked over at him smiling but he would not even turn his head - very typical. Instead he inched his last generation Saturn Vue forward, and revved up the motor a bit anticipating the light. At that point I was laughing to myself. Of course you know how the story ends. Light turns green, and he nails the gas. But I was already across the intersection. LOL! I merged into his lane and waved to him in the rear view.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #14
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Yep.

But I was already across the intersection. LOL! I merged into his lane and waved to him in the rear view.
Shame: in the NFL wouldn't that be equivalent to "Taunting" And to add insult to injury the Saturn brand is coming to a close!

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 03:06 PM   #15
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Yes, I think you guys are right, Sacramento drivers are pretty bad and overly aggressive.

I also think there's something about the relative comparison of your car to their car/truck that drives behavior. Driving a new/nice car makes some people think they get away with being dicks and the size of those "Bigfoot" trucks brings out the worst in some folks. What I'm saying is that if they're in a POS car they figure you have more to lose than they do and you'll get out of the way if they pull a dick move. A jacked up "Bigfoot" truck gives some folks a sense of invulnerability as well as an excuse to be a dick--and that brings out the worst in them.

I base my theory on the fact that I banged up car in college (one fender pretty much was hanging off). It was like a right of way free card! I always got the right of way at stop signs--the other drivers always waved me on. Same with lane changes--it was like having a freaking lineman running interference! But, once I had the car repaired my "right of way free" card was revoked.

Most of the stories I've just read are about some guy in a POS _____ acted like a dick. So, maybe that has something to do with it.

Plus, there is kind of a target on a new car--no license plate and the dealer tags....
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 08:50 AM   #16
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

Just this morning on my way to work, a car in front of me that will turn left to the hway ramp just stop even thought there was no car on the incoming lanes. I have to honk my horn to tell the other driver that it is safe to turn left. We both join the hway and I immediately overtook that car. Guess what, the driver was on the phone chatting.
Appreciate 0