BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)
View Poll Results: What right should gay have?
Marriage 53 45.30%
Civil Unions will all legal ramifications marriage, just not the name 28 23.93%
No rights from the government 19 16.24%
Government should restrict gay rights 17 14.53%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

09-09-2005, 08:31 PM   #45
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petercat
Love is love...
Except when it's one-sided

I guess then it's just infatuation

Last edited by deutschmann59; 09-09-2005 at 09:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2005, 09:25 PM   #46
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep
Drives: E60 M5 chilln on slicks

Haha, funny to read the many replies. We ask a question, get opinions, and bash whoever's opinion we dont' like. Major strides humans are making respecting others and their beliefs. Luckily for me, I've never been a dog that rolls over for the sake of agreeing to get along, or ,to get other people to like me. To say the least that's what makes me so darn special!!!! Bash that...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2005, 04:15 AM   #47
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellasBmw
Wow! can i move in with you? LoL.... Im easy to get along with.

(I hate Italian cars, is that a problem to you? )
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2005, 11:58 AM   #48
BellasBmw
If love is the answer,please rephrase the question
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tit Silver 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood

(I hate Italian cars, is that a problem to you? )
LoL- yeah i dont think it'll work out.
Ive been to Holland 2x (cant really remember most of it) haha... I was in Rotterdam, Amsterdam, and a town outside of amsterdam where they made really good cheese and wooden shoes lol.
      09-10-2005, 01:13 PM   #49
puck724
COLTS 4 LIFE!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellasBmw
Ive been rasied 100% Catholic, went to private school, etc.. my parents are old school italians, so of course they do not believe in marriage for homosexuals. I, on the other hand, have been raised in today's society.. i accept everyone for who they are, and i believe homosexuals should have equal rights.

im in the same boat as bella, although my parents have seemed to listen to the other side of the story. i guess they got tired of me rolling my eyes at them and leaving the room when they start going off on why homosexuals shouldnt get married.
      09-15-2005, 01:17 PM   #50
jlr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 33i

can I have 3 wifes

Can I get married to 3 women if I want and then have my comany pay insurance on them. It is more normal for a man to have several ladies than it is to be an ass-hopper. MY comany gives same sex bennifis. People who have room mates with the same sex put them
down as family and they get benifits. They both have real girlfriends
and are not gay. Do you have to have sex with someone to be married. No. Can we get married to our pets if we boink them?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2005, 01:23 PM   #51
jlr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 33i

we need a pink E90

After reading that 80 percent of the forum supports gay marriage I thin BMW needs to come out with a PINK with rainbows on the side.
The cup holder can be filled with condoms.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2005, 02:27 PM   #52
eimSD
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Arctic 325i

People who are against gay marriage talk about it degrading the institution of marriage... As a person in a heterosexual marriage, I fail to see how the existence of someone elses gay marriage/partnership affects me or my marriage one bit.

If you want a more conservative BMW crowd, check out Bimmerfest's political science forum: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 01:03 PM   #53
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

The former Pope released two encyclicals on this matter. In the first he cautiously said it was "OK" to be gay, but not to have Gay sex, and in the second, he said that Gay people made "an important contribution to church community and should be offered the full dignity of human life"

What part of the full dignity of human life is the denial of formal recognition of your partnership with the person you love.

Being gay is not a choice, it is an inate emotional orientation. People get hung up on its sexualisation, but sex is just a side affect of who you are most likely to form strong emotional bonds with.

I find it interesting that people like to quote from the bible, and it is all old testament stuff, but the world has moved on to the new testament. Consider this - Homosexuality was rampant around the time of Jesus, it was an integrated part of Roman life, and yet he didn't see it as an issue worthy of one comment on the matter. He saw bigger issues as an affront to God, and we should take his lead on this matter.

Some of the old testament views are responsible for violence against Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered people. Homophobia also causes many teenage guys who discover they are gay to commit suicide, or more tragically who even think they may be gay or who for some reason become the target of gay related villification.

Since when has homophobia been a "family value"?

For the record I am gay. I am pleased this forum seems to have a mature approach to this issue.
      11-26-2005, 01:07 PM   #54
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr
After reading that 80 percent of the forum supports gay marriage I thin BMW needs to come out with a PINK with rainbows on the side.
The cup holder can be filled with condoms.
This is so inmature. Being gay is not the same as being camp!

For the record, BMW does actively court the so called "pink dollar", as do most other companies. But they realise that gay people aren't stupid, and won't buy something just because it has a rainbow on it. We judge goods and services on their merits just like any other person.
      11-26-2005, 01:13 PM   #55
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Cheers Jamie, mate.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 02:00 PM   #56
puck724
COLTS 4 LIFE!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
wait what!! brad pitt is gay!!! haha, just messin jamie. good read. and i totally agree.
      11-26-2005, 02:15 PM   #57
BMW0
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Nothing wrong with being happy, the pursuit of happiness for all. Why not, life's short.

"Freude am Fahren" = "Joy to Drive"
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 03:17 PM   #58
Saosin17
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Love is the bond that results in marriage... anyone in real love should have the right to be married regardless of sex.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 03:36 PM   #59
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieA
Being gay is not a choice, it is an inate emotional orientation. People get hung up on its sexualisation, but sex is just a side affect of who you are most likely to form strong emotional bonds with.
I thought homosexuality was NOT innate, but in fact a choice. I don't recall reading about any evidence that homosexuality is genetic.

You are who you are today because of the environment in which you grew up in, not because you already had an "innate emotional orientation" from the moment you were born.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 06:33 PM   #60
icedragon
guardian of ice and snow
Rep
Drives: 128i, 325i

Garage List
06 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
I thought homosexuality was NOT innate, but in fact a choice. I don't recall reading about any evidence that homosexuality is genetic.

You are who you are today because of the environment in which you grew up in, not because you already had an "innate emotional orientation" from the moment you were born.
Okay, here's my take. First, I don't know why some straight people are so concerned with supposedly losing the meaning of marriage. In today's world, the word isn't that relevant. I mean, how many times has Jennifer Lopez divorced?? It's just not as sacred as some people think.

Secondly, I think that being bi or gay is both biological and environmental (nature and nuture). In my first year Psych course, their was a chapter about homosexuality. It also talked about a recent experiment where the head of a dead gay man and the head of a dead straight man were dissected. Three parts of the gay man's brain were different in size compared to the straight man's brain. So there are definitely some genetic factors in play.

Also someone mentioned about twins and gave an example where one twin was gay and the other was straight. Again, according to the course I took, this is a very RARE example. In most cases, if one twin is gay, the other is also gay, which again suggests that there are some genetic factors in play.

I think there may be some social factors as well, but it's hard to think of them. First, being raised in a "masculine" way does not make you straight. Some gay people love cars (we have some fellow gay E90 members), sports, and power tools but they are gay. Secondly, with such high divorce rates these days, many male kids grow up without father figures but they do not necessarily become gay. Hmmm ... after reading over my arguments, I guess being gay is more biological. There isn't much evidence at all pointing to social factors.

So in conclusion, people are probably born gay and if they have the guts, they may "choose" to tell other people. But I really don't think they "choose" to be gay.

Btw, I do have some gay friends. And they have helped me so many times. So gay people are definitely cool They also all drive luxury cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 06:43 PM   #61
icedragon
guardian of ice and snow
Rep
Drives: 128i, 325i

Garage List
06 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90-4life
Haha, funny to read the many replies. We ask a question, get opinions, and bash whoever's opinion we dont' like. Major strides humans are making respecting others and their beliefs. Luckily for me, I've never been a dog that rolls over for the sake of agreeing to get along, or ,to get other people to like me. To say the least that's what makes me so darn special!!!! Bash that...
Are u sure you're special? or just ignorant?
I think people need to constantly re-evaluate their views.
After studying about the World Wars, I thought that German people were mean and rude. However, after I visited Germany, Britain, France, Switzerland, Italy, and Austria, I can say that is not the case. Germans are by FAR the friendliest group of Europeans. I will definitely visit Germany again one day. So yeah, I think we need to re-evaluate our views. Otherwise, we'd just be stubborn and stupid.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 07:06 PM   #62
theclay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr
Can I get married to 3 women if I want and then have my comany pay insurance on them. It is more normal for a man to have several ladies than it is to be an ass-hopper. MY comany gives same sex bennifis. People who have room mates with the same sex put them
down as family and they get benifits. They both have real girlfriends
and are not gay. Do you have to have sex with someone to be married. No. Can we get married to our pets if we boink them?
This is actually an argument for same sex marriage. Your co-workers wouldn't be able to get "bennifis" from your "comany" for their room mates if they had to marry them.

On a side note, it is not a shock to see a person who uses the term "ass-hoppper" and talks about boinking pets being the same person who misspells company twice in the same post. If ignorance truly is bliss then you are a happy man my friend.
      11-26-2005, 07:15 PM   #63
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedragon
Okay, here's my take. First, I don't know why some straight people are so concerned with supposedly losing the meaning of marriage. In today's world, the word isn't that relevant. I mean, how many times has Jennifer Lopez divorced?? It's just not as sacred as some people think.

Secondly, I think that being bi or gay is both biological and environmental (nature and nuture). In my first year Psych course, their was a chapter about homosexuality. It also talked about a recent experiment where the head of a dead gay man and the head of a dead straight man were dissected. Three parts of the gay man's brain were different in size compared to the straight man's brain. So there are definitely some genetic factors in play.
Honestly, experiments like that are highly skewed in favor of whatever the scientist(s) doing it want to find. I can't find an experiment with ONE test and only two subjects credible. I bet if you take any two people, regardless of sexuality and dissect their brains, there will be differences in size.

Also someone mentioned about twins and gave an example where one twin was gay and the other was straight. Again, according to the course I took, this is a very RARE example. In most cases, if one twin is gay, the other is also gay, which again suggests that there are some genetic factors in play.
Again, more factors need to be accounted for; were the twins living in the same household? If not, what kind of environment did the separate twins grow up in?

I think there may be some social factors as well, but it's hard to think of them. First, being raised in a "masculine" way does not make you straight. Some gay people love cars (we have some fellow gay E90 members), sports, and power tools but they are gay. Secondly, with such high divorce rates these days, many male kids grow up without father figures but they do not necessarily become gay. Hmmm ... after reading over my arguments, I guess being gay is more biological. There isn't much evidence at all pointing to social factors.
I think it has to do more with personal experiences, rather than how they were raised. I'm pretty sure every homosexual has a story to tell on how they "found out" they preferred the same sex.
So in conclusion, people are probably born gay and if they have the guts, they may "choose" to tell other people. But I really don't think they "choose" to be gay.
I don't know if it's nature or nurture, there's no clear evidence...yet. But I'm going to have to stand by the choice theory.

Btw, I do have some gay friends. And they have helped me so many times. So gay people are definitely cool They also all drive luxury cars.
Sodomy either way is a no-no though
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 07:22 PM   #64
theclay
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Sodomy either way is a no-no though
I don't know why it's a no-no in your book. I like sodomy and I'm straight.
      11-26-2005, 07:26 PM   #65
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclay
I don't know why it's a no-no in your book. I like sodomy and I'm straight.
Dealing with the "santorum" isn't my cup of tea.

What about nasal?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 07:39 PM   #66
theclay
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Dealing with the "santorum" isn't my cup of tea.

What about nasal?
Santorum

This isn't a word in my country.