BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BPM

05-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #23
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
If you bought the car as an investment - you are doing it wrong....
Yeah did you fail all your economics classes in school? Your car loses value every single day you own it!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #24
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontid View Post
go on BMW website and download the manual for your car, then read it.
seriously. lol. You'd think it might be mentioned in there?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #25
the_road_less_traveled
Id rather be boating...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Baja 26 Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by C|3R1C View Post
Honestly, listen to the other guys and do an oil change. Never hurts to do them every 5k-7.5k miles either. Oil kits can be bought at getbmwparts.com for $160. The DYI is available here too http://www.billswebspace.com/bmwm3.htm at the bottom of the page.

Happy Hunting!
Thanks for the actual bit of "usable" advise. Thats a rare commodity on the forums anymore. Been on that site and their prices are hard to beat.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #26
C|3R1C
So Kewl Guy
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfirer1guy View Post
Thanks for the actual bit of "usable" advise. Thats a rare commodity on the forums anymore. Been on that site and their prices are hard to beat.

Thanks again.
I figure I'll let everyone else troll lol. NP
      05-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #27
the_road_less_traveled
Id rather be boating...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor251 View Post
Yeah did you fail all your economics classes in school? Your car loses value every single day you own it!
Soooo... Invstmennts are always of financial nature? How do you get to work everyday? If you dont invest in your vehicle to be mobile, sell it smart ass and lets see how you like them apples.

Now ask yourself, who failed what in this thread?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #28
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Soooo... Invstmennts are always of financial nature? How do you get to work everyday? If you dont invest in your vehicle to be mobile, sell it smart ass and lets see how you like them apples.

Well if you want to be like that, you could always buy a much cheaper vehicle. The total lifetime depreciation on a $15k Kia is less than the first 2 year depreciation on an M3 - yet both take you to work just fine.

You will never win on this forum. Too many type-A personalities.

And change your darn oil already.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #29
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2

Quote:

I ride my road bike to work every day, thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 01:15 AM   #30
the_road_less_traveled
Id rather be boating...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Well if you want to be like that, you could always buy a much cheaper vehicle. The total lifetime depreciation on a $15k Kia is less than the first 2 year depreciation on an M3 - yet both take you to work just fine.

You will never win on this forum. Too many type-A personalities.

And change your darn oil already.
The rate of depreciation was never in question, had a dog in this fight, or was mentioned...far from it actually. The point is that a car is an investment irregardless of how you slice it. You invest in something in return for a gain of some sort. What that gain is is different for each person. Maybe it gets you to work every day, maybe is gets your groceries, maybe it gets you laid, or it allows you to join a local club and meet friends. Or possibly your a car nut and it just satisifies your craving!

Name me one thing you purchase that DOESNT benefit/satisfy your wants/needs in some way.

And yes I'm about to change oil for sake of knowing!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #31
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
The rate of depreciation was never in question, had a dog in this fight, or was mentioned...far from it actually. The point is that a car is an investment irregardless of how you slice it. You invest in something in return for a gain of some sort. What that gain is is different for each person. Maybe it gets you to work every day, maybe is gets your groceries, maybe it gets you laid, or it allows you to join a local club and meet friends. Or possibly your a car nut and it just satisifies your craving!

Name me one thing you purchase that DOESNT benefit/satisfy your wants/needs in some way.

And yes I'm about to change oil for sake of knowing!
Hey listen, to me it's still a depreciating asset - but you can look at it anyway it suits you.

There is a very simple way to touch/smell the oil - just unscrew the fill cap on the valve cover (passenger side of the engine), then dip your fingers inside. Just make sure it's not hot you know...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #32
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

This is great entertainment.....
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 12:09 PM   #33
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Ha.. Finally some one else who owns an M because they are a "gear head" and not because its a BMW. Anyone who is a gear head understands why a dipstick is a must. If you dont understand the need, you dont deserve to drive a performance car.

Yeah the indicator is cool, but no interaction with the motor. It would suck to drain the oil only to find its new. Damnit, this shouldn't be an issue!
I agree this is bullshit. It will make us waste time at a dealer. I service my own vehicles. I want to see the color of my oil to see how degraded it is. Also, I want to check the viscosity, as these engine are usually ran hard, so the oil can break down at an exponentially higher rate than anticipated. I just bought M3 a few days ago, so I am new.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #34
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

I agree that this thread was almost 2 years old.
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 04:55 PM   #35
tinman831
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by premp View Post
I agree this is bullshit. It will make us waste time at a dealer. I service my own vehicles. I want to see the color of my oil to see how degraded it is. Also, I want to check the viscosity, as these engine are usually ran hard, so the oil can break down at an exponentially higher rate than anticipated. I just bought M3 a few days ago, so I am new.
If you aren't sure, just drain a small bit into a cup and have it tested. Looking at the color and viscosity doesn't tell you definitively how old the oil is.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 02:48 PM   #36
runnyeggsham
Rep
Drives: M3 Alpine E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
Maybe people would be more helpful if the OP didn't curse.

Maybe people would be more helpful if the OP appeared to have done more than zero research before buying a $70K car.

Maybe people would be more helpful if the OP had done a search before asking a question.

I get your point, just saying there are two sides to it.

OP - BMW engines have not come with a dipstick since approximately 2006/7. The answer to your question is above in post #3
This post is old but I just read it. The M&M man, admit it, you are an a$$. I wondered the same thing when I first got the M3. There are plenty of performance cars out there with a dipstick. BMW just likes playing with electronics and makes the car easy for people who just want to drive a car and not ever know anything about their car. Having a manual dipstick removes any faculty electronics giving a false reading. It has nothing to do with "fanboys", an overuse of the term IMO. I read lots of posts with people bitching about their car giving them false readings. Anything electronic can go awry and you would not know about it. A good old manual stick will show you how much oil you need with your eyeball. Ever see a 14 year old try to add something without his smartphone and give him pencil and paper? Dumb fanboys who like graphite right?

But, I do agree that the OP was an a$$ for asking a question like a roving lunatic. I guess "engineers" don't need to be very smart.
It's "advice", and "plain" by the way.

More people who own a 70k will lose their manuals bc these people can care less about how to maintain a car on their own. I knew a girl in college, who drove one, and never filled her gas in her life; she had no idea how a gas pump worked. WTG to impress me to say the least.

ILSMKU, your post was most helpful.

Last edited by runnyeggsham; 06-11-2015 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 02:52 PM   #37
runnyeggsham
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor251 View Post
I wouldn't say that. I've been looking for an OEM low mileage Supra, NSX, or 993 911 and believe me, they have been going UP in value. When I find a decent one, I will buy it and garage it. It will be an investment and a fun car!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 03:19 PM   #38
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I'd rather drive a car than store one as an investment. Unless I had truckloads of money and a 60 x 100 shop and could collect cars. Life is too short to drive a beater every day while you dream about the rare occasions when you drive your good cars.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2015, 03:39 PM   #39
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnyeggsham View Post
I wouldn't say that. I've been looking for an OEM low mileage Supra, NSX, or 993 911 and believe me, they have been going UP in value. When I find a decent one, I will buy it and garage it. It will be an investment and a fun car!
+1... the problem with most investments is that they are extremely effing boring. Would rather have an appreciating collector's car than a pile of stock certificates and money market fund statements. With or without driving it much.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 05:42 PM   #40
runnyeggsham
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post
+1... the problem with most investments is that they are extremely effing boring. Would rather have an appreciating collector's car than a pile of stock certificates and money market fund statements. With or without driving it much.
Yup. Drive a beater to the office bc no need to show off to the employees what you have at home.

phon:
The cars I mentioned are increasing in value but they aren't Jackson Barrett caliber cars here. You can drive them. My friend has a yellow ITR, Integra Type R for you strict German car guys, that is probably worth a bundle. He got it new as a graduation gift and it is bone stock with only 14,000 miles. My beater is a 99 Camry and 01 Miata weekend car.

Anyway, I need to find a store that sells 10w/60 in Vegas. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 08:03 AM   #41
12mpgm3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

I think almost every owner and most mechanics would agree that not having a dipstick is a terrible idea:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1100531
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 07:30 PM   #42
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

If someone wanted to examine the oil it would be much easier to just unscrew the oil filter and get some from there rather than getting under the car and draining some from the drain plug.
      07-10-2015, 10:24 PM   #43
Eminenceo3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Mineral white E93

jesus...people on these forums.
Appreciate 0