BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

10-14-2009, 09:53 PM   #23
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene-TAIWAN View Post
Yes, I felt a huge difference! especially when your in the corners. The stock set up will just dip for no reason and its really unexpected. I felt that was pretty scary.
I'd suspect your suspension was messed up in some way. My stock EDC was super predictable and never surprised me ever, not even on the track.

I can't imagine it being much better.
      10-14-2009, 11:03 PM   #24
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
I'd suspect your suspension was messed up in some way. My stock EDC was super predictable and never surprised me ever, not even on the track.

I can't imagine it being much better.

Maybe the EDC you got is better cause by buddy is switching over the coilovers this Saturday.

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #25
markjord
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 2007 Jerez Black

Lightbulb Thanks

Thanks for all the comments. I was going to get the dealer to check that mine is working but as I have no error messages I think that I was just being paranoid. I actually developed a major OCD over this; couldn't go for a drive without pressing the button to see what I could feel. Now I just lose sleep over the "clonk" when I move from first to reverse or vice versa!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 01:14 AM   #26
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

I can't really tell a difference between comfort and normal. But I definitely can feel a big difference with Sport.
      11-02-2009, 10:16 AM   #27
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

It took me a month or so before I could feel the changes, so IMO the difference should be a lot more, but I bet lawyers got in the way. I notice the change most on the highway.
      11-29-2009, 12:43 AM   #28
jdhiro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

This thread blows my mind. I don't understand how someone couldn't feel the different EDC settings.

The first EDC setting makes the car feel so much like a boat that I get sea sick driving around with it on.

The second EDC setting makes the car feel soft but GT sporty.

The third EDC setting... well it's still too soft but about as hard as the suspension could get without being overdampened on those springs.

2022 X3 M40i
E46 330i ZHP, E90, E89 Z4, F30 320i "Jalopnik Edition", F80 Comp, F80 CS
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 01:57 AM   #29
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Alright here's my take:

Before I started tracking a lot, I could definitely feel the difference in various EDC settings.

After I started tracking, I feel that BMW should have developed a much more aggressive 'Sport' damping mode and even paired with stiffer springs. The current configuration doesn't make a huge difference when you are pulling one G at corners and braking aggressively.

Anyway, I think the normal mode is quite perfect if you are just going to drive on the street. And this is what I use most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 04:44 AM   #30
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
Alright here's my take:

Before I started tracking a lot, I could definitely feel the difference in various EDC settings.

After I started tracking, I feel that BMW should have developed a much more aggressive 'Sport' damping mode and even paired with stiffer springs. The current configuration doesn't make a huge difference when you are pulling one G at corners and braking aggressively.

Anyway, I think the normal mode is quite perfect if you are just going to drive on the street. And this is what I use most of the time.
this is definitely a good point... i believe bmw prob designed the car for some hard driving but not necessarily all out track driving... so this might explain the reason why it doesnt seem up to par on the track.

however, on the public road, i have never encountered a twisty road that made my m3 feel like a boat... i've done some pretty good winding road with sharp hairpins and the suspension is brilliant everywhere... i am sure this was what the 'sport' edc setting was meant for. it wasnt meant for the track. although it certainly is capable.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 08:55 AM   #31
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

Take your car down a set of twisties going up with comfort and then go back down using sport and you will feel a big difference. I know I do.
      12-01-2009, 02:27 PM   #32
jdhiro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
I couldn't agree more.

2022 X3 M40i
E46 330i ZHP, E90, E89 Z4, F30 320i "Jalopnik Edition", F80 Comp, F80 CS
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 06:59 PM   #33
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

While the M3 suspension is good (especially for a stock set-up) it can't compare to a coil-over system. The BIGGEST, most noticable difference between stock and coil-overs is how planted and settled the rear-end feels when deep in fast corners nearing the limit.

This is where the suspension is loaded up and any dips/cracks in the road cause the rear to get loose/unstable. Coil-overs keep that wallowing feeling away in the rear and keeps the rear planted and settled.

As good as the M3 suspension is, my 335i with KWV2's felt alot more confident and stable then my M3 when hustling around fast corners.

As far as the EDC, I can tell a difference between the settings. Sport feels the best when cornering because of the slightly flatter cornering. Normal feels best for day to day driving, since it offers some sportiness without being overly harsh and comfort is best when drving the family around or on really jacked up roads.

I still have NOT found any FACTS or literature stating that Sport mode is passive and that normal mode will stiffen up even more then sport mode when needed. I have NEVER felt normal mode stiffen up more then sport mode even when really pushing the car in the twisties
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.

Last edited by TRZ06; 12-04-2009 at 10:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 08:19 AM   #34
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
While the M3 suspension is good (especially for a stock set-up) it can't compare to a coil-over system. The BIGGEST, most noticable difference between stock and coil-overs is how planted and settled the rear-end feels when deep in fast corners nearing the limit.

This is where the suspension is loaded up and any dips/cracks in the road cause the rear to get loose/unstable. Coil-overs keep that wallowing feeling away in the rear and keeps the rear planted and settled.

As good as the M3 suspension is, my 335i with KWV2's felt alot more confident and stable then my M3 when hustling around fast corners.

As far as the EDC, I can tell a difference between the settings. Sport feels the best when cornering because of the slightly flatter cornering. Normal feels best for day to day driving, since it offers some sportiness without being overly harsh and comfort is best when drving the family around or on really jacked up roads.

I still have NOT found any FACTS or literature stating that Sport mode is passive and that normal mode will stiffen up even more then sport mode when needed. I have NEVER felt normal mode stiffen up more then sport mode even when really pushing the car in the twisties
Read the manual? I'm not 100% sure but I thought it explained that in the manual. I can feel normal mode cornering flatter when going at a 90 degree right turn at a stop light. It's much more noticeable when I have passengers as the increased weight creates more body roll when the suspension is in sport mode or 'constant' mode. Also When pushing the car in the twisties I feel sport mode doesn't create enough travel and you get wheel hop a lot which doesn't inspire confidence.

TRZ, when you had your 335 with KW's, what stiffness setting did you have it at when you compare it to the M3?

I'm thinking if I should get coilovers or not, wondering if it will be worth it. I don't want my back to break every time I drive it. I want to be able to drive on the highway for decently long trips as well as have awesome performance. Can this be done with the V3's in one setting?

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #35
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
Read the manual? I'm not 100% sure but I thought it explained that in the manual. I can feel normal mode cornering flatter when going at a 90 degree right turn at a stop light. It's much more noticeable when I have passengers as the increased weight creates more body roll when the suspension is in sport mode or 'constant' mode. Also When pushing the car in the twisties I feel sport mode doesn't create enough travel and you get wheel hop a lot which doesn't inspire confidence.

TRZ, when you had your 335 with KW's, what stiffness setting did you have it at when you compare it to the M3?

I'm thinking if I should get coilovers or not, wondering if it will be worth it. I don't want my back to break every time I drive it. I want to be able to drive on the highway for decently long trips as well as have awesome performance. Can this be done with the V3's in one setting?

I had them set to the recommended settings that KW suggested for street use, if I remember correctly, it was about the mid-point settings, with the rear one or two clicks softer then the fronts.

Not sure about the comparison of the KW vs stock on the M3, but on the 335i, not only was the rear a lot more planted, but the ride was A LOT smoother then stock. Then again the ZSP (sp?) option suspension on the 335i was a joke and was purposely set soft to compliment the stock run-flat tires.

The stock 335i sport suspension made you feel like you were on a washborn road all the time. The stock M3 suspension is so much better then the 335i sport option suspension.

Quality coil-overs will ALWAYS be better then any stock set-up, but having said that, the M3 suspension is good enough that is does make it hard to justify the cost of a coil-over system, with the 335i, it was a no brainer.

IMO, yes that can be achieved with one setting on the KW's

BTW: I did read the manual about the EDC, however the wording is vague and leaves much to the interpretation of the reader. No where does it say that sport mode is passive, and no where does it say that normal mode will stiffen more then sport mode when needed
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0