BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

12-31-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
hasta la pasta 27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Chevy Silverado

OFFICIAL "I will quit Smoking for 2013" thread

So my New Years resolution is to stop smoking. Ended up in the ER a couple nights ago from bronchio spasms and saw X-rays of what appeared to be my lungs. These 2 dark shadowy figures were hard to look at especially at my age. That was when the doc told me I either stop or that the ER would soon begin to look like a hotel. Not sure how I will do it seeing as every day habits are hard to overcome but maybe anyone who has stopped or will stop for their resolution can use this thread to their advantage just like we use others. Any helpful advice, any nervousness, anxiety, cold sweats or any symptoms one may feel during the process can post up here and hopefully someone can provide useful advice or ways to overcome. Don't start coming in here saying Its easy and smoking is nasty because that is just childish and untrue. Hopefully we can get some support from fellow members but if you are trying to quit, post your age, reason to quit and when you will quit (or if you have already started to quit, post your days gone without smoking). This is a thread to help others out, not bash. Hope this helps everyone and goodluck! Happy New Years
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericruiz911 View Post
So my New Years resolution is to stop smoking. Ended up in the ER a couple nights ago from bronchio spasms and saw X-rays of what appeared to be my lungs. These 2 dark shadowy figures were hard to look at especially at my age. That was when the doc told me I either stop or that the ER would soon begin to look like a hotel. Not sure how I will do it seeing as every day habits are hard to overcome but maybe anyone who has stopped or will stop for their resolution can use this thread to their advantage just like we use others. Any helpful advice, any nervousness, anxiety, cold sweats or any symptoms one may feel during the process can post up here and hopefully someone can provide useful advice or ways to overcome. Don't start coming in here saying Its easy and smoking is nasty because that is just childish and untrue. Hopefully we can get some support from fellow members but if you are trying to quit, post your age, reason to quit and when you will quit (or if you have already started to quit, post your days gone without smoking). This is a thread to help others out, not bash. Hope this helps everyone and goodluck! Happy New Years
Hey good luck buddy, I am proud of you and all who trys, its a tuff road but def doable, when you have urges keep in mind the reason you stoped, good luck and Godbless....
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
335iaz
Cause their greeaaaaat!!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: SBM E90 335i

Keep a picture of your lungs with you ... as a reminder!
      12-31-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
ussoldierforhire
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92

I quit in July of 2012. Best thing ever!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

While I'm not a smoker I have definitely been impacted by the habit. I lost my mom to lung cancer last month. She fought hard for 3 years. So I'll leave that here in the hopes you will start the long road to kicking the habit. Best of luck to you and don't listen to the negative BS you might encounter along your journey.......and make no mistake, it will be a journey.......Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
I quit cold turkey on Oct '11. Never looked back.
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
comar1979
130i Treiber
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i

Garage List
Non Smoker for allmost a Year! Do it!!! I didnt smoke allmost 15.000(!!!) Cigarettes and Save about 3500€
# BMW 130i /// + SPARCO Assetto Gara 8x18 bronze + KW + PP SteeringWheel II +PP Exhaust +PP Kidneys + PP AirFilter + PP Style Flaps + PP SS Kit + AC-Schnitzer Gear Knob + MorVision Diffusor + LCI Blacklines high + GroundZero-Audio #
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
hasta la pasta 27
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
While I'm not a smoker I have definitely been impacted by the habit. I lost my mom to lung cancer last month. She fought hard for 3 years. So I'll leave that here in the hopes you will start the long road to kicking the habit. Best of luck to you and don't listen to the negative BS you might encounter along your journey.......and make no mistake, it will be a journey.......Phil
I'm real sorry to hear that bud. My condolences to your and your family. My mom just finished battling breast cancer but fortunately, she made it out alright.

Another reason to stop; just because you smoked 10 years and now stopped doesn't mean everything will go back to 100%. You are now a statistic and must watch your health very closely. Even when you stop, they recommend a lung X-ray every 3-5 years to try and catch any abnormalities. I'm really appreciating everyone's input here. Again, i know many have been lost to lung cancer so my prayers go out to you and your families because its not an easy road. M Ryder, the best of luck to you and your family.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 02:16 PM   #9
GAM3OVR85
Major General
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 Sea-Doo RXT-X 260  [9.00]
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
It's really easy to stop smoking and not to mention it's nasty!! Loll jk

Seriously, I don't smoke so I don't know how it's like to stop. I always try to make my friends stop but they tell me it's hard right now cuz of school, it's very stressful, lol? I'm taking the same courses as most of them and I don't smoke...

There is no such thing as hard or easy, it's what you think (all in your head)....you can make anything hard easy if you think it's easy, and vice versa.
If you are determined to stop smoking, you WILL stop. Now, you have a reason to stop. Health > Anything

Always try to keep yourself busy, do things around the house on your free time, anything that doesn't make you think about smoking.

Good luck and happy new year!!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 02:19 PM   #10
kchu221
JDM whore
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2009 997.1 Turbo

im 21 right now, been smoking for about 4-5 years... yea i know i started early, i really wanna quit to get back in shape, all my friends are in shape except me cuz my stamina is really low... ill play maybe 20 minutes of basketball with them and im done... i could feel my lungs just giving out!
      12-31-2012, 02:37 PM   #11
Epic404
Epic404
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335I Convertible

Sorry to hear you are experiencing health problems. I smoked for 12 years at 1.5 to 2 packs a day toward the end. I was the biggest smoker of all my friends by far. I was very physically and mentally addicted.

When I finally decided that I had enough of the health risks, social stigma, expense, and stress of making sure to have time to smoke... I went to the doctor to increase my likelihood of quitting after a couple failed cold-turkey attempts. I got a prescription for the Nicotrol Inhaler and Zyban. I picked a day to quit, smoked my last cig, and went to the dentist to get my teeth whitened. I then started using the Nicotrol Inhaler right after.

--I highly recommend the Nictrol Inhaler. I never even had to use the Zyban.--

At first, I'd take the normal smoke breaks I usually would but I'd use the inhaler instead. After a couple weeks I'd begin to take fewer and fewer breaks. Then, after about a month I quit refilling the nicotine cartridges all together. I'd still use the inhaler but was essentially just sucking on a piece of plastic since there was no nicotine cartridge. I quit using the inhaler (pacifier) all-together about a month later.

Eight years later I still haven't smoked a cigarette to this day. No more yellow fingers/teeth, morning hacking, and smoker's breath. I haven't had any serious urges and second-hand smoke makes me nauseous. I do have a cigar every couple months though.

I hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 02:57 PM   #12
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
M Ryder, the best of luck to you and your family.
Thanks for the well wishes. And best of luck to you in your journey.......looks like you have a good network of support. I knew the place was good for something besides mods ................Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 06:49 PM   #13
i2ichal2dZ4M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BSM Z4MC

in!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #14
AlpineE92M3
Currently Driving
Rep
Drives: BPM tuned '13 AW ZCP E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Same here. I've been smoking for over 10 years, pack a day. I have to try to quit. I feel so out of shape! Good luck! I am gonna try the patches
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 07:21 AM   #15
kingofthedemo
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Nicotine doesn't cause cancer, but Tobacco and it's additives do, as well as the act of inhaling combustive materials. My recommendation is to stop smoking but to continue to use nicotine as long as you want, you should really check out eciggs they are awesome!

''Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.''Ernest Hemingway
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 08:01 AM   #16
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Starting smoking when I was young was definitely the single most stupid thing I've ever done in my life. There is NOTHING good about smoking. Seriously...nothing. Nope, not one single good thing about it.

Quitting after 18 years was one of the hardest but best things I've ever done. If anybody tells you it's easy, they are lying. Even 9 years after quitting cold turkey, I still get occasional urges.

You can do it though and there are so many great reasons to quit, but can you even come up with one GOOD reason to not quit ("I like to smoke" is not good enough).

Good luck!
      01-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #17
hasta la pasta 27
Captain
United_States
Rep

So today is my second day without a cigarette and although I'm sick, I can feel I breathe a tad better. Had cold sweats last night so went and bought a BLUŽ ecig and its great! Finiti is harsh and taste like crap but the BLU is mild to a point where the flavor is vague but it helps as far as oral satisfaction so looks like ill be alright. Smell of my cologne this morning was more distinctive than usual. Hope everyone else is doing alright
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #18
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So today is my second day without a cigarette and although I'm sick, I can feel I breathe a tad better. Had cold sweats last night so went and bought a BLUŽ ecig and its great! Finiti is harsh and taste like crap but the BLU is mild to a point where the flavor is vague but it helps as far as oral satisfaction so looks like ill be alright. Smell of my cologne this morning was more distinctive than usual. Hope everyone else is doing alright
Hang in there Eric and everyone else trying to quit .........Phil
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #19
6spdg37s
Captain
Rep
Drives: none

I quit a few years ago .. i tried my first cig when i was like 12 ... smoked from 16-23 and quit 2 years ago

I did it by cutting back.

example ... 20 per day

16 per day

12 per day

8 per day

4 per day

1 per day

over the course of a few weeks...

worst part was i got really sick while quitting probably from quitting
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #20
hasta la pasta 27
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
Hang in there Eric and everyone else trying to quit .........Phil
Thanks bud! Best part is, I can go lowering the dosage of nicotine as I go and if I want to just smoke vapor then I still can!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #21
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Well same here... Quitting also...
Second day and it is more difficult than yesterday. Specially few hours ago I was feeling even some kind of headache

But now it's better easier specially when I found this thread... I feel not alone.

Let's do THIS
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #22
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Personally not a smoker but have had a lot of family members that did. Just focus on today and tomorrow, not "how am I going to give up smoking for the rest of my life". At least in short term try to avoid the places and people that make it really hard to resist (maybe bars, other smokers, certain situations).

Would say "good luck" but you don't need luck.
Appreciate 0