BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

05-11-2010, 12:14 PM   #23
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm still considering both, but leaning towards the vette now. I'm starting to have this longing for a proper sports car again.

It also seems like the corvettes quality has improved from when I last looked at them.
      05-11-2010, 05:04 PM   #24
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 GT-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love View Post
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm still considering both, but leaning towards the vette now. I'm starting to have this longing for a proper sports car again.

It also seems like the corvettes quality has improved from when I last looked at them.
I can appreciate your position. I have a very nicely modded 335i now (and no, I am not comparing my 335 to an E92M) but really miss having a proper sportscar and have decided that I'd be more willing to drive my beater (4Runner) more often in order to have a proper sportscar than to have a great performance DD like the E92M.

BTW, out of all of the proper sportscars I have had in the recent past (996tt, CaymanS, 997S, C6 and C6Z06) the Vettes were the more comfortable cars than any of the Porsches...they are quite comfortable and will be even more so with the 2011 F55 Selective Ride option in the Grand Sport. You could actually DD the Vette but I just couldn't DD the 997S ---- so I sold it.

The quality of the Vette has improved dramatically (even within the C6 model years). Reliability is better than the M3; build quality is below the M3....but still acceptable...at least to me

Last edited by alms21; 05-11-2010 at 05:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 09:51 PM   #25
GnokGnik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S

M3 all day. Corvette is a magnificent car...fast like nothing else except for the GTR in its price range...but the M3 will be much more practical and still almost as fun IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 10:54 PM   #26
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

i think the M3 is just so much more rare then the vette imo, which makes it more appealing for me. You see vettes all the time and always older guys driving them.. I like driving my M and not seeing my twin car all the time everywhere i go. just my 2 cents. However vettes are stupid fast!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 06:02 AM   #27
RedGT3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: .2 GT3/M3cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
i think the M3 is just so much more rare then the vette imo, which makes it more appealing for me. You see vettes all the time and always older guys driving them.. I like driving my M and not seeing my twin car all the time everywhere i go. just my 2 cents. However vettes are stupid fast!
Clearly you don't live in South Florida. (The land of I'll take the most expensive and don't know why).
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 08:22 AM   #28
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Quote:

Well, there's only one sports car on your list, so go for it. You might consider a new '09 ZO6. There are over 200 sitting on dealer lots right now, and I would go with it over a GS. But either would be a fun car, good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 05:00 PM   #29
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

Frankly I'm afraid of the Z06. I don't trust myself with 505hp. 99% of the time I'm keeping the car on the street so i will never get even close to it's performance limits. I like that the GS has it's body kit, brakes, and dry sump mechanism so a GS is a better fit for me.
      05-12-2010, 05:19 PM   #30
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Frankly I'm afraid of the Z06. I don't trust myself with 505hp. 99% of the time I'm keeping the car on the street so i will never get even close to it's performance limits. I like that the GS has it's body kit, brakes, and dry sump mechanism so a GS is a better fit for me.
+1

I did not track my Z06 and never got anywhere close to using 505 hp. The GS is the best deal out there these days. You can get a brand new 2010 with 3lt package for $52-53K PLUS you get free money for 60 months.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 07:07 PM   #31
chd2
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3 DCT

Corvette GS, you can mod the hell out of it, they offer selective ride on it, and the price can't be beat. Plus repairs are much cheaper after warranty. The corvette is made for the average garage mechanic. Much more difficult to work on the M(DOHC, DCT, etc...)

I have an M3, had a Z06. Both are incredible cars. Only reason the Z is gone is I had to have seating for 4. Damn economy...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 07:11 PM   #32
assuck
u w0t m8?
United_States
Rep
Drives: LMB 13' M3

Quote:
Get the Z06 and take a few classes at a good driving school. The GS is not a bad choice either.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 07:51 PM   #33
thegeneral101
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Z06,'13 750Li,'11 Raptor

i was very close to getting a Z06 (had money down and everything) but once I got that serious about purchasing it I realized I would miss the versatility that an M3 offers....especially since it was my DD. I love the Z06 sice its such a focused car, but I'm pretty confident I will have as much fun in the M3 I ended up purchasing. I haven't looked back.

either way you cant go wrong, but if you are used to the comfort and versatility of a BMW it might be hard to DD a vette
      05-13-2010, 08:14 AM   #34
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Quote:
The GS is a good package. If you have no track intentions, the ZO6 package may not offer much for you. Given the prices available on new '09's, and considering the probable resale value of both cars, I'm not sure the ZO6 would cost any more to own. GM is flooding the market with GS cars. There are currently 1,767 GS cars with dealers, only 162 '10 ZO6s, and 216 '09 ZO6s. That suggests a very compelling case for the relative values over the next few years. As for the hp, either car demands respect, and either one can really only be properly learned with instruction on track, where the hp becomes merely another tool to learn.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 09:16 AM   #35
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms21 View Post
Well, good for you. Thanks for your well thought out opinon; it added alot
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray23 View Post
your a funny guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Is it really that funny that an M3 fan and owner does not like Vette's much?
Yes, I must be crazy. A Vet doesn't look cheap, doesn't have cheap interior and doesn't look like something a mid-life crisis 50-something year old would drive. Instead of dropping $70k on a new M3, I should of just dropped $50k-$70k on a Vet because it is so much better than an M3 in terms of looks, quality, performance, prestige and every-day driveability.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 09:16 AM   #36
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

go to corvette forums...people are getting 20k off of them!
BW C13 - 1:57:2
ACS - 1:49:6
WSIR - 1:30:6
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 09:25 AM   #37
RedGT3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
Yes, I must be crazy. A Vet doesn't look cheap, doesn't have cheap interior and doesn't look like something a mid-life crisis 50-something year old would drive. Instead of dropping $70k on a new M3, I should of just dropped $50k-$70k on a Vet because it is so much better than an M3 in terms of looks, quality, performance, prestige and every-day driveability.

-SZ
Actually YES you should.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 10:05 AM   #38
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fll335 View Post
Actually YES you should.
Are you saying that when compared to an e9x m3, a Vet doesn't have an inferior build quality in terms of the materials used? Are you also implying that the daily driveability of a Vet is anything other than terrible?

While looks are subjective, the FACT is that the Vet suffers from the use of sub-standard materials, has a very primitive/clunky transmission and poor ride quality for a car in its price range.

Is the Vet an impressive performer? Of course it is.

Is it a refined machine? Let's just say it has a lot of room for improvement.

Is it a bargain? Yes, depending on what it will be used for.

Is it better than an M3? Well, it is faster than an M3. Educate me how it is better than an M3 in any other category.

Again, I love my M3 but I am not a fanboy. There are many other cars that are faster than an M3 but most lack in other areas in which the M3 excels.

The Vet, unfortunately, is not on my list of cars I lust after. I wish it was because they can be had for a bargain.

On my realistic list:

1. Porsche GT3 (997)
2. Nissan GTR

On my dream list (not in any specific order):

1. Porsche GT3 RS
2. Audi R8 V10
3. Ferrari F430 Scud

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 06:50 PM   #39
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep

Have you even driven a C6Vette of any kind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
Are you saying that when compared to an e9x m3, a Vet doesn't have an inferior build quality in terms of the materials used? Is carbon fiber, magensium, titanium inferior materials? Are you also implying that the daily driveability of a Vet is anything other than terrible? A C6 Vette from a daily driver standpoint blows ANY sportscar away in terms of comfort and performance
While looks are subjective, the FACT is that the Vet suffers from the use of sub-standard materials, has a very primitive/clunky transmission and poor ride quality for a car in its price range.

primitive/clunky transmission?
Is the Vet an impressive performer? Of course it is.

Is it a refined machine? Let's just say it has a lot of room for improvement.

Is it a bargain? Yes, depending on what it will be used for.

Is it better than an M3? Well, it is faster than an M3. Educate me how it is better than an M3 in any other category.

Again, I love my M3 but I am not a fanboy. There are many other cars that are faster than an M3 but most lack in other areas in which the M3 excels.

The Vet, unfortunately, is not on my list of cars I lust after. I wish it was because they can be had for a bargain. You are in the minority

On my realistic list:

1. Porsche GT3 (997)
2. Nissan GTR

On my dream list (not in any specific order):

1. Porsche GT3 RS
2. Audi R8 V10
3. Ferrari F430 Scud

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 06:53 PM   #40
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep

Which is better looking? Be honest. Throw up the best picture of an M3 you got and I'll post my best of a Z06 or Grand Sport.

I can stick this interior/seats in the Vette to "dress up" the interior if need be.
Attached Images

Last edited by alms21; 05-13-2010 at 07:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 08:09 PM   #41
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Which is better looking? Be honest. Throw up the best picture of an M3 you got and I'll post my best of a Z06 or Grand Sport.

I can stick this interior/seats in the Vette to "dress up" the interior if need be.
So you pick a modded, great looking Vette and offer up a bad picture of a very pedestrian looking E90 M3 (sedan) instead of an E92 Coupe? Not a very fair comparison. Really completely stock to completely stock is perhaps the only fair way to compare cars on aesthetics.

Anyway, as you must know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You can't ever reach quorum on "what looks better". That being said a couple of my comments/complaints about the Vette:

-Side vents/ducts (or whatever those are near the rear wheel wells) look very tacked on.
-The front splitter/air dam is hideous on this car as it is on almost all Vette's it also looks and is tacked on - it is one of the first things to get completely destroyed on any car except those with the most careful owners.
-Ditto for the rear mudflaps - come on the 2010 Z06 basically has rear mudflaps. Ugh. Note: You can'st see them in this pic nor very well on a black car.
-The cars greenhouse section looks too small and a bit out of proportion.
-It's front air intake looks like a cartoon robots mouth.

Again, overall I like Vette's, they have some aesthetic and fit and finish issues in my evaluation, but the pic you posted is a darn nice looking car. Although some M3's and some Vette's compete pretty closely in a pure numbers game I don't really think of them as direct competitors anyway. The Z06 and ZR1 are in a completely different performance class. All Vette's are pure 2 seat sports cars. The M3 is more of a sports/GT with 4 very useable seats and a useable trunk. More of a "jack of all trades". Attention to detail, both on the outside, inside and underneath the M3, even on subtle things like insulation, wiring, cover plates, brakets, etc. - things that most folks never even see is, is far superior in the M3. Not that those are the most important things in a car they just contribute to the overall feeling of very good design, seeing engineering in every part, attention to detail and fit and finish.

Just my rambling 2 cents.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 08:59 PM   #42
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
So you pick a modded, great looking Vette and offer up a bad picture of a very pedestrian looking E90 M3 (sedan) instead of an E92 Coupe? Not a very fair comparison. Really completely stock to completely stock is perhaps the only fair way to compare cars on aesthetics.

Anyway, as you must know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You can't ever reach quorum on "what looks better". That being said a couple of my comments/complaints about the Vette:

-Side vents/ducts (or whatever those are near the rear wheel wells) look very tacked on.
-The front splitter/air dam is hideous on this car as it is on almost all Vette's it also looks and is tacked on - it is one of the first things to get completely destroyed on any car except those with the most careful owners.
-Ditto for the rear mudflaps - come on the 2010 Z06 basically has rear mudflaps. Ugh. Note: You can'st see them in this pic nor very well on a black car.
-The cars greenhouse section looks too small and a bit out of proportion.
-It's front air intake looks like a cartoon robots mouth.

Again, overall I like Vette's, they have some aesthetic and fit and finish issues in my evaluation, but the pic you posted is a darn nice looking car. Although some M3's and some Vette's compete pretty closely in a pure numbers game I don't really think of them as direct competitors anyway. The Z06 and ZR1 are in a completely different performance class. All Vette's are pure 2 seat sports cars. The M3 is more of a sports/GT with 4 very useable seats and a useable trunk. More of a "jack of all trades". Attention to detail, both on the outside, inside and underneath the M3, even on subtle things like insulation, wiring, cover plates, brakets, etc. - things that most folks never even see is, is far superior in the M3. Not that those are the most important things in a car they just contribute to the overall feeling of very good design, seeing engineering in every part, attention to detail and fit and finish.

Just my rambling 2 cents.
I think I said post up your (not necessarily you) best picture of an M3 did I not? BTW, I've got better Z06 pictures than that I posted as well.

Stock vs stock -- the Z06 and Grand Sport is much more appealing to me. The regular C6 and M3 I view as a draw. I do agree 100% that looks are subjective. I just feel the M3 is rather soft looking and 95% of the general population couldn't tell an M3 from a 335.

The rear air ducts appear stuck on? Never heard that one before.

The front splitter on ANY car is "tacked" on. Do you really think any car comes with an integrated front splitter built into the front nosepiece? --- see Porsche 997GT3

They aren't "mud flaps" they are integrated to stop rock/stone kickups from the massive rear tires.

WTF is a greenhouse section?

Sorry, the front air intake looks fantastic on the Z06/GS

I find it funny you talk about looks being subjective and nearly all of your "nits" have to do with "looks"

Comments on e92M3 - since you made comments on the looks, fair game for me to do the same on the M3, yes?

The bubble on the hood is circa 1994 Eagle Talon
The car is odd looking from the side --- way too long for a two door coupe
(It just looks weird to me from the driver's door to the rear bumper).
Rear end of the car looks soo skinny with the exhaust in the center of the rear bumper
Car is a pig in terms of weight
What's up with those side mirrors?
The shark fin on the roof sticks out like a sore thumb (I know because I have to look at mine on my 335 everyday)

I will say this --- the front end of the M3 is fantastic looking and one of the best out there. I think it's a fantastic car but I think BMW left alot on the table in terms of styling.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 09:21 PM   #43
RedGT3
Major
United_States
Rep

See, my problem here is that we know GM's quality is no the best, but actually there are getting better every year. BMW on the other hand is not, look at all the threads of people complaning about interior pieces falling apart. Or painted interior parts were the paint started to fall off (door handles,consoles,dash pieces)just to name a few..I think back in the late 80's BMW started to build an american BMW with to me was their biggest mistake ever.

fll335
/TARANTULA
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 10:10 PM   #44
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Dude, you don't have to justify your decision to me. I already made my choice and a good one at that with the m3. If you want the Vet then get one...who gives a $hit. Why waste your time on an m3 forum? Go to the Chevy forum where i'm sure you will hear that the Vet is the best car ever made.

I have driven several C6 Vets and I even test drove a Z06 when I lived in Charleston. The tranny does suck and it is clunky...my opinion and the opinion of many professional drivers and testers...look it up. Also, I'm glad it has carbon Fiber fenders and a magnesium engine cradle; it also has the poorest excuse for leather I have ever seen, more plastic than the Tupperware isle at Walmart and some parts seem like they were put together with scotch tape.

Again, if most of wanted a Vet, we could easily afford one or two of them.

Why would I lust something that is inferior to what I already have?

Have fun with your Vet! I really hope you enjoy it!

Sz
Appreciate 0