BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

06-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

RPM.... shoot up to 1500 on idle

Hi i am curious if anyone had this happen to your car... Yesterday driving normally in Los Angeles Traffic my RPM shoot up all of a sudden to 1.5rpm on idle... usually its below 1k when fully stop. This happened several time in within the an hour.

no error, cel, engine light or anything, it just shoot right up on idle after sometime of traffic.

does anyonw know if this is normal? this never happened to me before and this is my route for the last 2 years

EDIT: just wanted to add, my idle does not go below normal it just shoots up to 1500, and every morning it idles fine and runs fine...
Also i dont get this on COLD start as some might have mentioned. i will try to replicate what i did yesterday from work to home... Meaning drive in Los Angeles Traffic.

IF YOU HAD HAVE THIS PROBLEM POST YOUR EXPERIENCE, I have read all the thread regarding ICV but hoping someone can post on a problem that was fix by the dealer. thanks.

Last edited by Grail05; 06-30-2011 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
M3DCTBT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

bad IAC, normal M3 problem
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3DCTBT View Post
bad IAC, normal M3 problem
sorry to ask but what is that...
      06-30-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Since you didn't put what model year in your sig, I assume you have an old one (you shouldn't be embarrassed to state the year man... and your location too ). And yes, I have an old one, and proud of it .

Not the typical sympton of a bad idle control valve (ICV not 'IAC'), but that's my guess. A bad ICV is a very common problem on '08 or '09s, but has also happened to newer ones. Did that coincide with hitting the A/C button or something else? At any rate, you'll have to wait until your DME throws a code before any dealer would do anything, so don't waste your time. You could check with a reader if there's a non-CEL-triggering code, but I doubt it. The good news is once it throws a CEL (aka the christmas tree), they clear a few times with an ignition cycle. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 01:05 PM   #5
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep

thanks... this makes me worry for some reason... im a bit paranoid... is it safe to drive it though once it gives me the christmas light? Also if you happen to know what are they replacing. i hear so many stories about engine damage cause of this? not sure i might have mixed up something differently but i guess im just being paranoid.
      06-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep

bump
      06-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #7
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Why didn't you go read the threads about this issue, rather than expecting someone to package it up neatly for you?

The idle control valve failure is not going to strand you, so wait for the code. It's fine. Your car just won't idle right.

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
Why didn't you go read the threads about this issue, rather than expecting someone to package it up neatly for you?

The idle control valve failure is not going to strand you, so wait for the code. It's fine. Your car just won't idle right.
Yeah, there's a lot of information on the infamous idle control valve just on this site alone.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...w=1280&bih=822
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 04:53 PM   #9
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post

DANG your upfront arent u ... thank bro. to be honest... just paranoid i guess.. its one of those things you know you get paranoid and you just want more answer even though its right in front of you.. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post
Yeah, there's a lot of information on the infamous idle control valve just on this site alone.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...w=1280&bih=822

Thanks Bro, i know i know like said above post just paranoya.. LOL