E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > rattle rattle rattle ...

03-23-2006, 07:46 AM   #1
meruyailir
Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: E90 325, E70 X5 3.0

rattle rattle rattle ...

I thought moving from Honda to BMW will free me up from having to deal with rattle. NOT!

I already have my 325 with the dealers for 3 days to get rid of this rattle coming from the driver side (somewhere in the B pillar or door). It sounds quite subtle but annoying. It occurs on bumpy roads. They have done according to the technical bulletin for B pillar noise but to no avail. They have opened up the door upholstery and applied sound deadening stuff, which also resulted in nothing.

Anyone solves door-side/B-pillar rattle other than those outlined in the bulletin? I've lost my emotional attachment to the car now that it gives me this rattle.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2006, 07:49 AM   #2
e90driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 325i, 08 328xi

My car has several rattles. It's a car. It has thousands of parts, they move, contract, expand, shift, rub. Some are bound to make a little noise. You'll never keep up if you try to get rid of every errant noise. Get major ones fixed, ignore the rest. 3 days at a dealership for a rattle is a bit excessive though...

06 325i. IT'S HERE!- 08 E92 328xi, Premium, Auto, Cold- Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2006, 07:54 AM   #3
meruyailir
Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90driver
My car has several rattles. It's a car. It has thousands of parts, they move, contract, expand, shift, rub. Some are bound to make a little noise. You'll never keep up if you try to get rid of every errant noise. Get major ones fixed, ignore the rest. 3 days at a dealership for a rattle is a bit excessive though...

Maybe I should learn to live with it. But sometimes it just bothers me, you know.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2006, 08:18 AM   #4
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
I have some faint rattle and faint suspension squeaks...haven't been able to track it down though. I will probably bring it up with my SA after the initial excitement wears down a little (coming up to 2 weeks)

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2006, 09:04 AM   #5
StevoSEA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i(SA) TiAg/Blk ZSP 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by meruyailir
I thought moving from Honda to BMW will free me up from having to deal with rattle. NOT!

I already have my 325 with the dealers for 3 days to get rid of this rattle coming from the driver side (somewhere in the B pillar or door). It sounds quite subtle but annoying. It occurs on bumpy roads. They have done according to the technical bulletin for B pillar noise but to no avail. They have opened up the door upholstery and applied sound deadening stuff, which also resulted in nothing.

Anyone solves door-side/B-pillar rattle other than those outlined in the bulletin? I've lost my emotional attachment to the car now that it gives me this rattle.
Have you had then check the seat belt retensioner-defective ones make an intermittant faint clicking noise. I had mine repaired about a month ago. Unfortunately the majority of all manufacturers consumer complaints are with rattles and squeaks (yes, even Lexus and Toyota!) I would not just live with them, though.Unfortunately you need to be persistant-which can be very time consuming (multiple trips to dealership)
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2006, 09:29 AM   #6
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

There is service bulleting for the B pillar rattle, something about inserting something-the dealer should know.

The only way to be truly rattle free in a car is to get rid of the car

I think i have the B pillar rattle as well (it is faint for now).

I am going to wait and probably just fix it at my next regulat appointment.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2006, 09:34 AM   #7
Jongi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320i w/Exclusive

I used to have a rattle near the air outlets in the center. Haven't noticed it in a while. i bet i will on the drive back home today.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2006, 10:47 PM   #8
meruyailir
Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevoSEA
Have you had then check the seat belt retensioner-defective ones make an intermittant faint clicking noise. I had mine repaired about a month ago. Unfortunately the majority of all manufacturers consumer complaints are with rattles and squeaks (yes, even Lexus and Toyota!) I would not just live with them, though.Unfortunately you need to be persistant-which can be very time consuming (multiple trips to dealership)
I happen to know quite well the owner of the dealer and so I'm having them hunt down the rattle until it's terminated. It's been 4 days now and they give me a 520 e60 for loan, not bad, more comfortable ride but very slow.

According to the service bulletins, it's the washer(s) that need to be replaced, not the pretensioner. I think they're gonna investigate on smaller items first before deciding to replace the pretensioner.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2006, 10:52 PM   #9
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

honda's are quite well put together, I wouldn't expect a BMW to be much more rattle free than a honda
Appreciate 0