BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

02-20-2008, 01:04 PM   #1
chicagobimmerboy
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Un esotico Italiano ;)

Question Hey here's an idea!

Now, I'm not a mechanic or anything like that but stay with me here. The number one complaint on the M3 is its servotronic, numb steering right? but the normal three series has the optimum feel right?
here is my idea... take the steering system from say a 335I and swap it with the system in the M3 and calibrate it to the M3's specs (steering ratio's, wieght, power, grip and handeling limits) Can this be done? or is my head in LALA land ?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #2
00o00
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: its comming...

okay first let me say i don't really know what im talking about... just some thoughts...

but i don't think that it would work... first you would have to deal with the sensors for the different settings with in the i-drive... so the computer would flip a shit if you just left the original sensors just hanging around. and i don't thing that the steering system from the 335 would have the proper inputs... maybe?

second what about the "M" button and the different buttons on the actual steering wheel it self...

then we have to deal with all the sensors for the rest of the car, cus my understanding is that everything is tied into everything else... so maybe there would be some negative effects with the DSC and what not...

this is not even taking into account the fitment issues... if there are any.

Again… im kinda talking out of my ass… I don’t know anything for sure, but that’s just some of my thoughts… feel free to critique any of this haha
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
Hammer
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobimmerboy View Post
Now, I'm not a mechanic or anything like that but stay with me here. The number one complaint on the M3 is its servotronic, numb steering right? but the normal three series has the optimum feel right?
here is my idea... take the steering system from say a 335I and swap it with the system in the M3 and calibrate it to the M3's specs (steering ratio's, wieght, power, grip and handeling limits) Can this be done? or is my head in LALA land ?
I was told, that i īd have to use the i-drive to "fix" that problem. You may switch some setings to get a better steering.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 01:41 PM   #4
par4bmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 370Z & My JK Toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
I was told, that i īd have to use the i-drive to "fix" that problem. You may switch some setings to get a better steering.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobimmerboy View Post
I highly doubt that this would be easier or more effective than just modifying the software and/or some of the mechanics in the M3 steering itself.

Furthermore, you cannot necessarily just swap in a 335i steering system and get 335i feel since it could very well be that part of the difference in the overall experience is due to the difference between the suspension and steering linkage of the two.

IMHO, the M3 steering is probably perfectly fine, and if not, and there is a demand, someone will find a way to mod it to make it better.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 07:33 PM   #6
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
The issues raised regarding the M3 steering are a "numbness around center", the complaints are not really about lightness or poor feel in general.

Personally I have no idea what they are talking about, the steering feels great to me with good weight to it on the normal setting and in sport it firms up a bit more...I have not noticed any "numbness around center."

Probably the most noticeable thing about the steering is the directness of it, 2.4 turns lock to lock, you can comfortably take hairpins and leave both hands on the BMW recommended 9-3 positions, feels great.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 11:35 PM   #7
chicagobimmerboy
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzStriker View Post
The issues raised regarding the M3 steering are a "numbness around center", the complaints are not really about lightness or poor feel in general.

Personally I have no idea what they are talking about, the steering feels great to me with good weight to it on the normal setting and in sport it firms up a bit more...I have not noticed any "numbness around center."

Probably the most noticeable thing about the steering is the directness of it, 2.4 turns lock to lock, you can comfortably take hairpins and leave both hands on the BMW recommended 9-3 positions, feels great.
well i guess your really the expert here as you own an M3. I am too young to have the kind of experience that some journalists and enthusiasts have had so i guess i rely too much on what they say. Guess i should wait till I get my E92 to see if this issue is really tangible
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 01:38 AM   #8
NavNurs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 / S2000 beater

How about we pull the ass end out of an 335. Wait, what about the computer. OK, first we pull the computer out of the ass end of a 335. Then what do we have? A huge sucking sound?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 10:49 AM   #9
JerezBlue!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzStriker View Post

Ditto, I find it very precise. And, I've had the car almost 4 months and have covered nearly 3000 miles and that 'numbness' has not yet surfaced once.

I quite like the lightness of the wheel and also how quickly it firms up in any mode. Just drive the car for a day or two and you'll wonder what you've been worrying about!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 01:22 PM   #10
chicagobimmerboy
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavNurs View Post
How about we pull the ass end out of an 335. Wait, what about the computer. OK, first we pull the computer out of the ass end of a 335. Then what do we have? A huge sucking sound?
K smart ass you do that
Appreciate 0