BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

10-01-2016, 06:51 AM   #1
Jims M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M, F80 M3, C7 Z51

Installed Swift Springs and Vorshlag Camber Plates

I just bought an E92 M3 about three weeks ago after I moved to the Dallas area, and started reading the forums. So I have been on an upgrade path with it to prepare it for DE's specifically COTA in November. I realized that Vorshlag was in Plano so I went to them to install their parts and suspension.

I couldn't be more happy with the Swift springs and Vorshlag combination. I had Vorshlag on my M3 and they were always reliable and quite, the springs being linear are very much a track type spring you would see in a Coilover, and they match well with the DTC.

The car has a nice suttle drop over stock, I mostly notice the drop in the rear, but you can tell the front has dropped as well. Characteristics of the ride are very similar to stock with much more control and firmness in the spring. I hit some major bumps on the way home and the suspension never crashed on the bumpstocks, I kept the original bumpstocks as well.

I also installed the Stoptech big brake kit and put in high temp fluid. Apex wheels on the way today, and I think it is ready to go! I love this platform and the V8 in the car. Here is a link to Vorshlag's install. I thought this was a pretty cool feature of their work. Prices were very reasonable as well.

https://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Custome...M3/i-t48Vkz6/A
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1478.00
      10-01-2016, 07:13 AM   #2
gan1hck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

Very nice. That's my exact setup minus the BBK.

With the drop in height from the spring, I'm getting -3.2 negative camber, and getting even tire wear on track.

For me, it took a few weeks of driving before the springs settled in though.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 03:47 AM   #3
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

you're going to love the camber plates. they really help with turn-in, track tire wear, and balancing out the handling of the car.
      10-04-2016, 01:33 PM   #4
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Congrats on the car and setup! If you're headed to the Texas Trifecta at COTA in November I'll see you there.
      10-05-2016, 06:36 AM   #5
Jims M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M, F80 M3, C7 Z51

Yes I'll be there first time on COTA, need to learn the track. I instructed with the Badger Bimmers in Wisconsin at Road America. I think I am bringing both of my cars to the track, to see how they differ.
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1478.00
      10-06-2016, 03:45 PM   #6
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims M3 View Post
Yes I'll be there first time on COTA, need to learn the track. I instructed with the Badger Bimmers in Wisconsin at Road America. I think I am bringing both of my cars to the track, to see how they differ.
Great, I'll see you there! I have some family in Wisconsin and want to make it to Road America one day, let's definitely chat at the track.
      11-27-2016, 04:16 PM   #7
BigRussia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gan1hck View Post
Very nice. That's my exact setup minus the BBK.

With the drop in height from the spring, I'm getting -3.2 negative camber, and getting even tire wear on track.

For me, it took a few weeks of driving before the springs settled in though.
What do you mean by the springs settling in? Do you mean they dropped a bit more? I'm hoping that's the case as I just installed Swift springs on my ZCP car and the rear didn't drop at all! OP I was surprised that you noticed the rear drop more but looking at your pic its clear the rear is indeed lowered. But that wasn't the case for me, in matter of fact when looking at the ZCP and Swift rear springs side by the side the swift spring even seemed taller... and I did make sure the rear springs sat properly in the rubber perches.
      11-27-2016, 04:27 PM   #8
gan1hck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRussia View Post
What do you mean by the springs settling in? Do you mean they dropped a bit more? I'm hoping that's the case as I just installed Swift springs on my ZCP car and the rear didn't drop at all! OP I was surprised that you noticed the rear drop more but looking at your pic its clear the rear is indeed lowered. But that wasn't the case for me, in matter of fact when looking at the ZCP and Swift rear springs side by the side the swift spring even seemed taller... and I did make sure the rear springs sat properly in the rubber perches.
My car felt noticeably stiffer after the install.....which kind of surprised me because I thought the springs were supposed to be progressive.

I just chalked it up to "stiffer" springs overall, but a few weeks and some track time, the street ride started to feel like stock springs again.

As for lowering, I'm not sure about that....my intent was not to lower my car, but to have stiffer springs at higher cornering forces.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 08:54 AM   #9
BigRussia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gan1hck View Post
My car felt noticeably stiffer after the install.....which kind of surprised me because I thought the springs were supposed to be progressive.

I just chalked it up to "stiffer" springs overall, but a few weeks and some track time, the street ride started to feel like stock springs again.

As for lowering, I'm not sure about that....my intent was not to lower my car, but to have stiffer springs at higher cornering forces.
I see, yeah I can def feel the increase in stiffness but its not harsh. So your car did not get any lower as the springs settled? Did you get the advertised rear drop? Since my car is ZCP the rear will only be a 8mm drop but I didnt even get that.
      11-28-2016, 05:25 PM   #10
gan1hck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRussia View Post
I see, yeah I can def feel the increase in stiffness but its not harsh. So your car did not get any lower as the springs settled? Did you get the advertised rear drop? Since my car is ZCP the rear will only be a 8mm drop but I didnt even get that.
Mine is ZCP also...The installer told me that there was a drop. I personally did not check.
Appreciate 0