BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-24-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
Johndoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 sedan

once more it happened...attention BMWNA!!!

music playing...09 M3/ new I Drive...suddently music stops- replaced by an ear-exploding loud buzzing sound (thought my speakers would burst)....volume knob etc do not function....7 to 10 seconds later, sound goes away, I Drive back on and music starts playing where it left off...?? no issue on driveablity...but the sudden ear-bursting sound could easily cause an accident or give someone a heart attack....

went to dealer for diagnostic fault code read...could not wait long but they took the codes and will investigate...i will be taking the car back in a couple of weeks...dealer did not find anything at the time and said they would followup with BMW....2nd time this has happened within the first 1600 miles,....maybe a faulty hard drive...I like the 09 new Idrive but this issue is bogus and a safety risk...really makes you wonder if BMW over-engineers the cars with electronic crap without adequate testing/ quality checks...if dealer cannot fix this, will escalate to BMW as this is a safety risk that can cause a crash...let alone I will go deaf if this keeps up...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
M3Gator
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndoe View Post
music playing...09 M3/ new I Drive...suddently music stops- replaced by an ear-exploding loud buzzing sound (thought my speakers would burst)....volume knob etc do not function....7 to 10 seconds later, sound goes away, I Drive back on and music starts playing where it left off...?? no issue on driveablity...but the sudden ear-bursting sound could easily cause an accident or give someone a heart attack....

went to dealer for diagnostic fault code read...could not wait long but they took the codes and will investigate...i will be taking the car back in a couple of weeks...dealer did not find anything at the time and said they would followup with BMW....2nd time this has happened within the first 1600 miles,....maybe a faulty hard drive...I like the 09 new Idrive but this issue is bogus and a safety risk...really makes you wonder if BMW over-engineers the cars with electronic crap without adequate testing/ quality checks...if dealer cannot fix this, will escalate to BMW as this is a safety risk that can cause a crash...let alone I will go deaf if this keeps up...
I have only 500 mi on mine. Similar thing happened to me last friday as I was parking and turned the car off. Radio was playing. As I turned the car off, I heard the same "shrieking" noise from the speakers. Only lasted about 1-2 sec. But it scared the sh.. out of me. Has only happened the one time and luckily I wasn't driving when it happened. Hoping it was just a freak, one time episode.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 10:47 PM   #3
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I had a simlar event while I was getting gas. Some LOUD ASS thumping sound from all speakers while the car was off. This went on for at least 10 sec, at which point I turned the car on, and the noise continued. Then I turned the car off, and it finally stopped. It hasn't happened again... yet. I have no i-Drive, i-Pod or HD-radio and standard stereo. I just had the radio on prior to this happening.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."

Last edited by aus; 03-25-2009 at 01:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 12:20 AM   #4
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
M3's with Premium Audio built before March 08 did not have fans in the amplifier, when they overheat they have a problem. The new upgraded amp has fans, there is no actual recall but it has to be authorised buy head office and the new amp is ex Germany supply, well it is in Australia anyway.

There is a thread about the replacement upgraded amp! I tried to search it but could not find it!

PS, found it:- http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194133

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 05:02 AM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
M3's with Premium Audio built before March 08 did not have fans in the amplifier, when they overheat they have a problem. The new upgraded amp has fans, there is no actual recall but it has to be authorised buy head office and the new amp is ex Germany supply, well it is in Australia anyway.

There is a thread about the replacement upgraded amp! I tried to search it but could not find it!

PS, found it:- http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194133
This is something else... all the M3s with this radio noise in this thread are 2009, and at least one of them doesn't even have iDrive, much less the Premium Audio.

The only thing common is that regardless of the OEM sound system (Premium Audio or HiFi) there is a speed dependent volume control. Perhaps there is a bug in that software that "fools" the radio for a couple of seconds in that the speed is over the limit of volume compensation.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 05:12 AM   #6
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
This is something else... all the M3s with this radio noise in this thread are 2009, and at least one of them doesn't even have iDrive, much less the Premium Audio.

The only thing common is that regardless of the OEM sound system (Premium Audio or HiFi) there is a speed dependent volume control. Perhaps there is a bug in that software that "fools" the radio for a couple of seconds in that the speed is over the limit of volume compensation.
That's an interesting thought...but I would think that speed volume would only bring the volume up a little bit, not to the LOUD and shrieking noise that has been described.
      03-25-2009, 08:23 AM   #7
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

these stories are very scary to hear....hope everything works out for you guys.
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 09:53 AM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
That's an interesting thought...but I would think that speed volume would only bring the volume up a little bit, not to the LOUD and shrieking noise that has been described.
Perhaps that's exactly what is broke, some random speed pulse is making the OEM HU/iDrive or the OEM amp go to the max, picking up whatever noise floor or shut down "thump" it has with it thus that shrieking/loud sound.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 05:33 PM   #9
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Shouldn't that sensor be off when the car is off? My car was off when it happened.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0