BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

04-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

The NYC international auto show made me love my M3 more!!

Took the wife and met some friends for a weekend in NYC. This was all centered around the NYC auto show which I had wanted to go to for a number of years now.

As expected, there was some serious eye candy. Bugatti Veyron, etc. After all was said and done, however, I realized how little there is out there that I would truly want over my M3. A car like a Veyron simply is not in my reality to ever own, drive etc. It is from a world that I will just never live in. As such, there is no real desire to actually own one.

The real issue is that I love to actually drive and much of my fun driving is interspersed with real transport. Need groceries? Okay, I'll go and take the "long way", but I need to able to fit groceries on the way back and actually make it into a supermarket parking lot without too many worries. A car that is a real garage queen just wouldn't work for me. It would leave me too frustrated too much of the time. Imagine having a naked supermodel in your bed that kept saying "not now".

There were definitely cars there that I felt were legitimate next car contenders. The 60th anniversary 427 Corvette was absolutely gorgeous. The Jag XKRS also made me drool. Finally the M6 was just stunning, and well may be my M3 replacement. I saw the new SRT Viper but it looked almost too cartoon-like for my tastes. The new Porsche 911, while always nice, still just looked very plain. Maybe it's just the fact that the basic design has been around for sooooooo long, that it does little for me anymore.

Anyway, I could go on, but suffice it to say that I left feeling VERY HAPPY about my M3. I am so thoroughly content with it in every way.

Just wonder if any of you feel the same?
      04-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

I had the same feeling after going to the Chicago Auto Show this year. A friend of mine even commented on how nice my interior was compared to the VAST majority of cars we sat in. Only a few, like teh A7 with quilted leather really stood out as being better. I almost 'd when I sat in the Lexus ISF. The interior in that car was really dissappointing.
      04-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

I agree--our cars are holding up well. I also liked the looks of the new M6. Interesting how the same body shell can look so different for the M6 vs. the plain-vanilla 6 series. I'm not a fan of the new base 6 series at all. I sat in the M5 and liked it, and liked a lot of the finer exterior details on the car, except for the horrendous E60 M5--morphed into Ford Taurus--morphed into new M5/6 side gills. It's also obviously a big car and wouldn't be right for me given my current desire to go to the track as often as time and $ allow.

I absolutely loved the new Viper. Kind of a perfect blend of Italian-like design sexiness and American brutishness.

I also sat in the new Mustang Shelby GT500--the 650hp one. I'm sure it's an amazing car, but it also feels very big from the driver's seat. The hood seems to go on forever, so you can't really place the front of the car. And the doors close with a cheap, disappointing clank/rattle. I couldn't imagine laying down $50K+ for what's essentially just an engine.

Once again, for my purposes and I'm sure a lot of other people's purposes, the M3 wins.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Fully agree with your story.

Have my M3 for almost 4 years now and I am still in .

Just came back from a road trip to NYC this week-end with the wifey, kid, luggage + all of the Woodbury shopping . We are still raving about the gran touring ability of the ///M .

Next week-end is my first track event of the season and I am sure I will still be amazed on well it performs on the track .

What a great all rounder .
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
Vancouver_M440
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M5 Sedan

I only got to attend my local auto show here and as it coinceded with the NY auto show we didn't get all the cool cars. However, I left with the same feeling. Couldn't imagine a better car than my M3 E90 except maybe the 6 series Gran Coupe. That would be pretty slick if I needed a bigger car. I am thinking the only suitable replacement would be another BMW M3, the F80. That car would appear to be everything our is performance wise but with newer modern interior and a touch more space. I would definitely miss the V8 until I fell in love with the extra horses and more torque much like the case with old vs new M5s. I think I've come to accept this will be my first and last V8 car ever. Gonna try and ride this one for as long as I can afford to fix it or pay for gas.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Best feeling in the world when you go to an AutoShow and there isn't a single car you'd rather have than the one that you've already chosen.
      04-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #7
ValerSterling
Rep
Drives: AODI

I had the same feeling after going to the Chicago Auto Show this year
      04-18-2012, 10:39 PM   #8
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Couldn't agree more with everything said here. Just had my first track weekend of the year and am utterly amazed that I could drive the whole family, smoke just about anything out there, drive home and go out to dinner in the city. Can't imagine a more perfect car for me
      04-19-2012, 03:55 AM   #9
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i've been wanting an e92 for some time now.

the hardest thing i have ever done in my life is not buy one. i can definitely afford it, but i'm relatively young (25) and won't let myself buy one until i buy an investment property. i'm definitely not as well off as most of you here, but i do ok.

the hardest thing i have ever done is not buy one... yet.
      04-19-2012, 07:09 AM   #10
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

I feel the same way when I go to NAIAS.

There are several cars I really like, but nothing that offers everything that I have with the M3. I think things like "If only they offered DCT, that would be a great car", or "That's very nice, but it only seats two", or "I love everything about this car's specs but it just seems too plain".

The M3 really is one of the best cars in the world.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 07:21 AM   #11
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
The 60th anniversary 427 Corvette was absolutely gorgeous.
My dad just placed an order for one of those bad boys... I''m going to do the Museum Delivery with him the end of June!

And I definitely feel the same way,

Ferraris and Lamborghinis have always been dream cars and always will be. I honestly would be worried what would be going on in any parking lot I left it alone etc.

The M3 is truly my dream car and to be honest don't really know what else I might want. The Chicago auto show last year did it for me, kept going back to get a look at it (and by the last time some pos actually had ripped off the rear M3 badge...)
Appreciate 0