BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

11-29-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
Veratyr
Dr. Drive
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 E92

Garage List
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Expert Tire dinged/ scratched up my oem 19" 220m wheels

I bought some winter tires at tirerack.com and had them shipped to Expert Tire to have them installed. When I got my M3 back, the 19" oem 220m wheels had tool dings, and chewed up rim edges on all four wheels! Good news is that I love my Blizzaks lm-60s 255/35/19F, 275/35/19R.

I'm so sad for my wheels. Guy at Expert Tire said to bring the car back into the shop tomorrow and "if" they caused any damage they will pay for repairs. We will see how it goes. I don't know if they can even be repaired?

I'll keep you guys updated... I'd be wary of this chain tire shop atm.
2009 BMW M3 E92/space gray metallic/VT2-600 ESS Supercharger/extended silver novillo leather/performance carbon fiber interior trim/DCT/BMW performance spoiler/19" Volk TE37SL wheels in pressed graphite.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 05:24 AM   #2
markjord
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 2007 Jerez Black

Yeah they can be repaired. What is it with these tyre shops? Luckily I have one quarter of a mile from work who actually take some care. Never had a rim marked there.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 07:27 AM   #3
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veratyr View Post
I bought some winter tires at tirerack.com and had them shipped to Expert Tire to have them installed. When I got my M3 back, the 19" oem 220m wheels had tool dings, and chewed up rim edges on all four wheels! Good news is that I love my Blizzaks lm-60s 255/35/19F, 275/35/19R.

I'm so sad for my wheels. Guy at Expert Tire said to bring the car back into the shop tomorrow and "if" they caused any damage they will pay for repairs. We will see how it goes. I don't know if they can even be repaired?

I'll keep you guys updated... I'd be wary of this chain tire shop atm.
Repair is possible (polishing if light damage or machining if heavy). Problem is the coloration of the finish may be different. I had a wheel 220M (OEM wheel) on my old e46 machined once and that is what I found.

Tip for future only let the BMW dealership change your tires in future, you pay slightly more, however, if they damage your wheels then they have to replace it. After all our wheels are expensive enough and they know that of course ...

The larger BMW dealerships have tire machines that do not damage your wheels during tire removal or installation.

Good luck with the repair.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 07:46 AM   #4
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

I would recommend a second set of wheels for winter. Yes, it's expensive, but you are going to save yourself a ton of headaches. And plus you can then put your winter setup on in your garage if you wish.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 07:56 AM   #5
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I would recommend a second set of wheels for winter. Yes, it's expensive, but you are going to save yourself a ton of headaches. And plus you can then put your winter setup on in your garage if you wish.
+1 - winter wheels will eventually pay for themslves if you continue to swap tires twice per year (winter and spring).
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 08:29 AM   #6
LTJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
Repair is possible (polishing if light damage or machining if heavy). Problem is the coloration of the finish may be different. I had a wheel 220M (OEM wheel) on my old e46 machined once and that is what I found.

Tip for future only let the BMW dealership change your tires in future, you pay slightly more, however, if they damage your wheels then they have to replace it. After all our wheels are expensive enough and they know that of course ...

The larger BMW dealerships have tire machines that do not damage your wheels during tire removal or installation.

Don't believe the dealer will treat you better...
I brought a 2009 911 in to a dealer to have some Pilot supersports put on . I actually told them that BMW scratched my rims at a different dealer back in 2005 and to take special care. They agreed. When I got my wheels back, there were missing areas of paint where the wheel weights were and gouges where the balancer was hitting the rim. I could see spots of bare aluminum by the lug-nut holes. The balancer was the latest and best hunter road force machine. Tums out, the porsche dealer does not have one, but the BMW dealer across the street did. So BMW screwed my rims. The dealer's reply...."well, we can repaint them". LOL. At least I got the $300 bucks back for mounting and balancing.
Moral of the story: anyone can be careless and screw up a rim. I now take photos in the lot with my iphone before the car is dropped off. I tell them they will be buying me new rims if they scratch them. If the tell you to take a hike, it is better to walk away....
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
+1 - winter wheels will eventually pay for themslves if you continue to swap tires twice per year (winter and spring).

Keep the 220s for your winter setup and get yourself a nice summer set. That way, even if there are minor blemishes on the wheels, at least they are your winters and you wont mind it so much...
      11-30-2011, 09:54 AM   #8
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That is exactly what I've done, got myself a winter wheel/tire set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
+100

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocJohn View Post
Don't believe the dealer will treat you better...
I brought a 2009 911 in to a dealer to have some Pilot supersports put on . I actually told them that BMW scratched my rims at a different dealer back in 2005 and to take special care. They agreed. When I got my wheels back, there were missing areas of paint where the wheel weights were and gouges where the balancer was hitting the rim. I could see spots of bare aluminum by the lug-nut holes. The balancer was the latest and best hunter road force machine. Tums out, the porsche dealer does not have one, but the BMW dealer across the street did. So BMW screwed my rims. The dealer's reply...."well, we can repaint them". LOL. At least I got the $300 bucks back for mounting and balancing.
Moral of the story: anyone can be careless and screw up a rim. I now take photos in the lot with my iphone before the car is dropped off. I tell them they will be buying me new rims if they scratch them. If the tell you to take a hike, it is better to walk away....
I know, that is why I mentioned find a good dealership, there are tire change machines and then there are tire change machines some are very mediocre and others are great the once that do not touch your rim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto View Post

Keep the 220s for your winter setup and get yourself a nice summer set. That way, even if there are minor blemishes on the wheels, at least they are your winters and you wont mind it so much...
Mine are 220M winter set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Mounting 19' winter tires is a nightmare for the tech... especially if they don't have a state-of-the-art machine to do it with, and most don't. I wanted my Blizzaks on my black wheels for winter, and the poor tech was pretty stressed out... he took his time and mounted them without a scratch, but I told him not to worry if he does nick them.

That's the way to go.
I too agree 100% mine are 18" and same size on all four corners (or square as we say).

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 12:08 PM   #9
shendrick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3, 05 e46 zhp, 07 X3

Good dealers have mount/dismount equipment that will not touch the rims. Not many indies have this because it is expensive. Good dealers also have a Hunter road force balancer which will tell everything you need to know about whether your wheels and tires trogether are going to run well. Look for road force values less than 25 lbs. I have never seen an indie with a Hunter because they are big money.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 12:41 PM   #10
Veratyr
Dr. Drive
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Thanks for the support guys. Latest news. I've gone back to the tire shop twice when they told me the manager would be there and...suprise he's not. Hoping this is not a run around. Will try one more time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post

My local BMW dealship said the wheels could not be repaired and does not know where to get the 19" 220M wheels remachined. Any suggestions? I may travel up to Portland Oregon to see if some of the shops up there can help.
2009 BMW M3 E92/space gray metallic/VT2-600 ESS Supercharger/extended silver novillo leather/performance carbon fiber interior trim/DCT/BMW performance spoiler/19" Volk TE37SL wheels in pressed graphite.

Last edited by Veratyr; 11-30-2011 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 12:48 PM   #11
Veratyr
Dr. Drive
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
That is exactly what I am going to do. My plan was to put the winter tires on my 19" 220M wheels and buy new wheels and summer performance tires in the spring. Unfortunately I had to change the tires this one time..figures.

Makes me scared as hell to get the new summer tires and wheels installed. Guess I'll try the dealship this time. I will for sure take some of your guys' suggestions and be a bit more paranoid and take pictures and the like before dropping of the car to have wheel work done.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 02:09 PM   #12
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the support guys. Latest news. I've gone back to the tire shop twice when they told me the manager would be there and...suprise he's not. Hoping this is not a run around. Will try one more time.

My local BMW dealship said the wheels could not be repaired and does not know where to get the 19" 220M wheels remachined. Any suggestions? I may travel up to Portland Oregon to see if some of the shops up there can help.
In my case I had to e-machine only one wheel that was way back in 2004 on my first
m3. The work was done in Edmonton, Alberta Canada. I would think you find a facility at one of the nearest cities to you. I would contact those people here CLICK and see if they can meet you some place or you drive to them perhaps there next or one of there appointment locations.

Good Luck

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 06:14 AM   #13
BSROSocial
Registered
Rep
Drives: n/a

I'd Like to Help

I work for the corporate office of ExpertTire.

I would like the opportunity to get involved to see what can be done. Would you mind sending me an email at social@bfrc.com so that I can get some additional information about you as well as the address of the ExperTire store that you visited?

By using the email address above, I can keep your personal information private while putting you in touch with people who can help.

Thanks,

Steve
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #14
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSROSocial View Post

I would like the opportunity to get involved to see what can be done. Would you mind sending me an email at social@bfrc.com so that I can get some additional information about you as well as the address of the ExperTire store that you visited?

By using the email address above, I can keep your personal information private while putting you in touch with people who can help.

Thanks,

Steve
Nice! So damn nice!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 12:56 PM   #15
Veratyr
Dr. Drive
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSROSocial View Post

Thanks,

Steve
Steve,

Wow this is very generous of you. I will definitely email you.

Unfortunately, I have some more not so great news. Finally got ahold of the manager and the result was "I"ll make you a great deal on getting your summer tires". Yep that is what i want to do. In addtion, I get my M3 detailed every 2-3 weeks at a professional shop in town and the detailer said "what's up with your car?" and he pointed out a rash of new paint chips like the car had been peeling out on gravel. Man I can't prove it, but it looks like the car was taken out for some "fun" on the old tires, which is now going to cost me a bundle on painting.

Last edited by Veratyr; 12-02-2011 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #16
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
This is exactly why I do a walk around of the car before I drop it off, take note of issues and pictures with my phone, then walk around again when I am picking it up and if there is anything different I do not accept/pay the people until we come to an agreement on it being repaired. Can't believe you paid and picked up and drove off with the car in that kind of condition. If you would have refused to pay and take the car back, they couldn't say that you were the one who damaged it.

I think sometimes our excitement of new mods gets the best of us...
      12-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #17
Veratyr
Dr. Drive
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
This is exactly why I do a walk around of the car before I drop it off, take note of issues and pictures with my phone, then walk around again when I am picking it up and if there is anything different I do not accept/pay the people until we come to an agreement on it being repaired. Can't believe you paid and picked up and drove off with the car in that kind of condition. If you would have refused to pay and take the car back, they couldn't say that you were the one who damaged it.

I think sometimes our excitement of new mods gets the best of us...
Ya, I didn't listen to that little voice that told me to walk away when I dropped the car off. Lots of excuses such as they already had tires there, was late for work and so on..i know dumb of me, lesson learned.

When picking up the car was so focused on wheels being damaged, I missed the paint issue until my detailer showed me all the stuff that wasn't there two weeks ago. There was some road grim in same area, so made it hard to noticed until cleaned up..still I know, will be more paranoid and careful next time and take some of your advice.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #18
Veratyr
Dr. Drive
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Just got a call from the regional manager of Expert Tire and I have to say they have been so reponsive, I'm shocked. They are going to have a third party evaulate the car and put in a claim.

Above and beynond Expert Tire, above and beyond what one expects these days from customer service. I have to say I'm disenchanted whith my local shop, but the Company really cares. Makes me think that most of their locations have to be much better than the one I experienced.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #19
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Just got a call from the regional manager of Expert Tire and I have to say they have been so reponsive, I'm shocked. They are going to have a third party evaulate the car and put in a claim.

Above and beynond Expert Tire, above and beyond what one expects these days from customer service. I have to say I'm disenchanted whith my local shop, but the Company really cares. Makes me think that most of their locations have to be much better than the one I experienced.
Great news! Gotta love great customer service.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #20
Stronghammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Way to step up Expert Tire. Hats off to you guys.
Mods: ESS VT1, MS test pipes, 19 BBS CH-R, Eibach pro springs, Painted reflectors, carbon fiber grills, Painted side markers with dark tinted lenses, 30% tint, Arkym rear diffuser, Innotech axle back exhaust, Performance spoiler
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #21
akina335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a car

Hope everything works out for you. My thought about getting tires mounted is to go to a wheel shop, not a tire shop. Wheel shops tend to take better care of your wheels than a tire shop would. Tire shops tend to work on volume, so the faster they can get tires mounted, the more they can get in. I learned this the hard way when America's Tire effed up my BBS wheels. Bastards.
      12-07-2011, 03:46 PM   #22
Veratyr
Dr. Drive
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
So far so good. I heard from Expert Tire today and they are standing by their word. Waiting now to get an adjuster scheduled to see the car.

Luckily, my detailer had taken pictures of my car before I had the tires changed (he likes to post pics of the cars he details for future customers). Pictures show factory paint in good shape before the shop had an "unapproved fun 15 mile test drive". Paint now all chipped up along wheel wells and rocker panels. I had BMW body and paint shop look at it and they agree with my detailers assesment about the cause. So so glad I have third party people that happen to have seen the car and photographed it before the incident, so it's not just "he said, she said" debate.

With the wheel repairs and paint repair that is gonna be an expensive joy ride for the local shop.

Gotta repeat what has been said here so far. Hats off to the Corporate office of Expert Tire for stepping up to make things right!

Last edited by Veratyr; 12-11-2011 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 0