BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-07-2015, 10:10 PM   #1
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Anybody installed KW sleeve kit DIY?

I am looking for tips on installing it? I know there is a DIY for general spring installation but there is nothing for KW sleeve kit (aka H.A.S)

When do you adjust the height and how to align parallel wheels to same exact height?

Any feedback is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 11:55 PM   #2
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

When I was considering the KW HAS, here's what I researched
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552785
Not exactly the same but the method is the same.

To adjust the height on both sides, measure from center of wheel to bottom of fender.
I would use 13.75" on front and 13.25" on rear as a starting point.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2015, 07:50 PM   #3
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 3 NA cars and 1 Turbo car

from memory of 2 years ago...

its pretty simple, you need spring compressors for the front , a strut top tool would make the job easier or air gun. Also a spindle spreader tool would make life easier but a big screw driver could work. The fronts are a little more involved since you have to remove the piece where the spring sits on from the shock and put KW on your oem shocks. If you have edc be carefull with those connectors and make sure you plug them back on when done

Metalnerd.com for the last 2 tools, autozone to rent spring compressors and your good to go.

Just like any coilover install, if you plan to use car in salt and winter put grease on the threads and pearch so they don't get stuck and you can make adjustments. Count threads for adjustments, I always leave 2-3 threads more up on drivers side to compensate for weight of driver

I start with setting up the front and rear in the middle and then work my way up down depening on how I like the height.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 08:50 PM   #4
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUESOM3 View Post
from memory of 2 years ago...

its pretty simple, you need spring compressors for the front , a strut top tool would make the job easier or air gun. Also a spindle spreader tool would make life easier but a big screw driver could work. The fronts are a little more involved since you have to remove the piece where the spring sits on from the shock and put KW on your oem shocks. If you have edc be carefull with those connectors and make sure you plug them back on when done

Metalnerd.com for the last 2 tools, autozone to rent spring compressors and your good to go.

Just like any coilover install, if you plan to use car in salt and winter put grease on the threads and pearch so they don't get stuck and you can make adjustments. Count threads for adjustments, I always leave 2-3 threads more up on drivers side to compensate for weight of driver

I start with setting up the front and rear in the middle and then work my way up down depening on how I like the height.
ohh boy...I need special tools for this DIY? I thought I can use socket and open wrenches I already have.

How much strength does it need? It doesn't seem easy DIY as it looks

Last edited by X5-User; 09-08-2015 at 09:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 10:02 PM   #5
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 3 NA cars and 1 Turbo car

If you never done a suspension swap before then these 2 will be your best friend, again you might need other stuff don't know what your toolbox looks like, just stating the main stuff
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 11:44 PM   #6
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

From installing my coilover kit, I can tell you that the rear spring/shock removal needs a couple of 21mm wrenches and an 18mm wrench or sockets. Most people don't have wrenches that large so just be forewarned.

You'll need a torque wrench to torque everything back to spec as well as a couple of jacks to line up the rear hub bolt.

For the front, if you don't have access to a spring compressor, bring the front struts to a repair shop who has the tools to remove the top hat that is keeping the spring on.

If you have the special tool that Gruesom3 gave you, it would be feasible to loosen the top strut bolt and loosen the three M12 shock tower bolts and allow the spring to decompress while installed on your car. I've read that it can be done that way. That would save you from needing a spring compressor but the caveat is that you need that special tool.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 02:37 PM   #7
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
From installing my coilover kit, I can tell you that the rear spring/shock removal needs a couple of 21mm wrenches and an 18mm wrench or sockets. Most people don't have wrenches that large so just be forewarned.

You'll need a torque wrench to torque everything back to spec as well as a couple of jacks to line up the rear hub bolt.

For the front, if you don't have access to a spring compressor, bring the front struts to a repair shop who has the tools to remove the top hat that is keeping the spring on.

If you have the special tool that Gruesom3 gave you, it would be feasible to loosen the top strut bolt and loosen the three M12 shock tower bolts and allow the spring to decompress while installed on your car. I've read that it can be done that way. That would save you from needing a spring compressor but the caveat is that you need that special tool.
I don't have any special tools. I do have access to a spring compressor but can I use regular socket/wrench 18mm or 21mm to do the job or these special tools are a must?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 12:52 AM   #8
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

The rears are fine without special tools however I would suggest a torque wrench
Use this to remove the front struts with hand tools
http://billswebspace.com/M3HRSpringInstallation

You should be set with this and the KW instructions
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2015, 09:36 AM   #9
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
The rears are fine without special tools however I would suggest a torque wrench
Use this to remove the front struts with hand tools
http://billswebspace.com/M3HRSpringInstallation

You should be set with this and the KW instructions
Thanks man. This is what I am looking for. More detailed instructions for noobie. The DIY ones on this forum assume previous experience
Appreciate 0