BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM
Closed Thread

12-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
mikenap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M3(sold) :(

Black MB E350 correction

I had first seen this car last year after it had been "detailed" by another local shop. At the time, it was shiny and black...but still had some light holograms poking through. Some time had passed and those light holograms became less and less "light" so the client contacted me to come in and finally make his black car look right again. Surprisingly, after a year had passed, I still found TONS of compound residue in every conceivable area of the car.

I grabbed a few before pics, but was ready to jump into it so a lot of them didn't come out too well.

One issue I ran into was the wheel barrels. They probably have never been cleaned since the car was purchased, and laughed off everything I threw at them. I started with Sonax, then moved to Brown Royal 1:1 and finally Meguiar's Wheel Brightener 4:1. When WB didn't make a dent, I just had to cut my losses and move on.

Not a huge improvement.

The car was foamed with Meguiar's Shampoo Plus, then pressure-washed off and brought inside to ONR wash and clay it. This was from behind the license plate, easily the dirtiest part of this car. Other than that, the car was pretty contaminant-free.

Correction consisted of a MF pad primed with D300, compounded with original version M105. Finishing was done with a B&S green pad with Menz 106fa. Machines used were a GG6 DA and Meg's G110. Most of the paint was healthy, save for the driver side fender which was very low. The following pictures are after compounding, before final polishing.

The following day, David Strum (aka weekendwarrior) came by and offered to lend a hand finishing up the car. Anyone who has met David will agree that not only is he a great detailer, he's also an all-around great guy and good friend. I'm always glad to get a chance to work with him. While I continued compounding the last remaining panels, David got to work finishing the paint. Afterward, we foamed the car with CG CWC (with some remaining Shampoo +, that's why the bottle looks blue!) and applied Meguiar's 26 liquid to the paint. Tires and wheel wells got Hyper-dressing 3:1.

Thanks for looking!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

NICE job man, really took care of that thing! I'm about to send you a PM, hopefully you don't mind responding. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
mikenap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
NICE job man, really took care of that thing! I'm about to send you a PM, hopefully you don't mind responding. Thanks.
Thank you! PM replied.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 08:18 AM   #4
AutoCon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tacoma X-Runner

Mike if you could of dismounted the wheels P&S "Solvent X" would have took off the crud "With the quickness", or using the solvent X and a paint mixing stick with a microfiber towel or even a wheel woolie with a towel wrapped around it.............. tedious but you would be a "Hero" to the client.

Looking good on the correction though...............oops should not have shared this as "Andy" or Sean Tiller will incorporate these techniques as their own.........lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #5
mikenap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
Mike if you could of dismounted the wheels P&S "Solvent X" would have took off the crud "With the quickness", or using the solvent X and a paint mixing stick with a microfiber towel or even a wheel woolie with a towel wrapped around it.............. tedious but you would be a "Hero" to the client.

Looking good on the correction though...............oops should not have shared this as "Andy" or Sean Tiller will incorporate these techniques as their own.........lol.

Thanks Bob. Thomas DeKany also recommended P&S Aluminum Brightener as an acid-based cleaner stronger than WB. I'd never heard of P&S before, but it's been recommended twice now so I may have to look into their products. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 01:12 AM   #6
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
Beautiful
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread