BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

09-04-2015, 11:20 AM   #45
2010MSPORT335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
The first time I went through my aftermarket warranty they tried everything to pay as little as possible. I fought them and they ended up paying it all. And now they dont even question anything anymore and have covered over $3,000 worth of repairs.
      09-04-2015, 11:32 AM   #46
california
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Black E93 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move Over
Hey guys,

I've been doing non stop research on these aftermarket warranty companies.
I will be purchasing a 2010 6MT E90 next week, and want to get an aftermarket contract.

It looks like I can get into a 5 year, 100k additional miles for around $3,000. This covers everything except for clutch, maintenance, and brake pads. I've got two companies on my radar which is wanted, and delta auto protect who talk an extremely good game, answer all my questions, and seem like legit businesses. Disturbed on here swears by Colin at wanted.

https://deltaautoprotect.com/extended-coverage-options/ (looking at diamond premier)
http://www.wantedautoprotect.com/whats-covered/ (looking at ultimate)

But, that's all well and good if they have good CS up front, but if they can't pay out, the contract is worth absolutely nothing.

Has anyone actually had a successful time getting the warranty companies to pay up when the bill is due?

I see some positive reviews, but it's all about how good the purchase was. I see many negative reviews, but what I don't see, is actual REAL reviews outside of consumer affairs and bbb. I do like that wanted responds to some negative reviews.

Let me know your thoughts.

EDIT: for those of you who HAVE, let me hear the company you went with, as well as your mileage/year coverage. I'd like o call and get quotes from successful companies.
I had car max max care no ded.

They fixed all my problems @ the BMW dealer w/ a loaner.

It needed a new rear driveshaft and some new sensors

The warranty cost me 3k and the repairs cost me over 4.

I have since sold the car and gotten a prorated refund of 1200 after driving it for a little over a year and 25k miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 11:48 AM   #47
Move Over
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgevelez1587 View Post
Im also looking to buy an extended warranty with Delta. They Quoted me $2100 on the Diamond Premier for 5 additional years or 60,000 additional miles. Anyone has bought or filed a claim with Delta that can provide and honest opinion about the company?. Cause I don't want to rely only on what I have read on the Consumer Affairs website.

Delta seemed to be the most "salesy" company to me. Plus they have only been around for 2 years. I would look elsewhere to be honest, i had really bad feelings about delta, they were willing to beat anyones price and just sounded WAY too good to be true.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 01:59 PM   #48
jorgevelez1587
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 sDrive 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move Over View Post
Delta seemed to be the most "salesy" company to me. Plus they have only been around for 2 years. I would look elsewhere to be honest, i had really bad feelings about delta, they were willing to beat anyones price and just sounded WAY too good to be true.
Yeah... They seem too good to be true and im not really in the mood to throw $2100 to the trash... That is the reason why im asking for opinions on people that actually have bought/used Delta outside of the Consumer Affairs website... Also, if the company was a scam, wouldn't they have bad reviews at the BBB website? Cause so far they have ZERO complains in the BBB website... Any input would be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 06:40 AM   #49
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

The good, Carmax (which I believe was through assurant). Paid out $14,500 in 1.5 years on an Audi.

The bad, Mercury. Took my wife's Cayenne to dealer for thermostat issue, 35 days after policy was paid, took 4 days to send someone out on a $2,400 repair and denied claim as pre-existing condition, dealer also noticed seeping oil pan gasket, also denied claim as pre-existing. Cancelled immediately and got my money back. All parts wear out overtime, are they going to deny every claim???

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 10:50 PM   #50
White 13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A 2013 Alpine White E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickl630 View Post
If the mod contributes to the part that failed... it could be denied. And yes, keep records. I would even get oil changes done at the dealer, or CarMax. We've denied claims before because of no records of maintenance.

Anything else you wanna know about MaxCare just ask.
If I do my own routine maintenance, keep a log and have receipts for the oil, filters and other parts will that be sufficent?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 11:20 PM   #51
Chris_PDX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E46 M3, NA Miata

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
For what it's worth, I have a Lithia extended warranty that covers everything. Purchased from a Lithia owned BMW dealership.

My E92 is in the shop right now due to an engine failure light/limp mode warning caused by a bad brake pressure sensor. Dealer said they are billing warranty $1600 for the repair, no issues with getting it covered.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 12:28 AM   #52
elinstylez
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by REV1 View Post
Im going thru process right now. Should have feedback within a couple days.
What was the outcome of your claim? I just got a quote $2400 for 4 yrs 60K miles + rim and wheel protection + $0 deductible. Seems like a great deal -- USAA only offered me 3 yrs 36K miles at about $3K.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 02:35 AM   #53
REV1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elinstylez View Post
What was the outcome of your claim? I just got a quote $2400 for 4 yrs 60K miles + rim and wheel protection + $0 deductible. Seems like a great deal -- USAA only offered me 3 yrs 36K miles at about $3K.
They paid out approximately 4500.00 ( I don't remember exact amount) without
Any issues. It was for a throttle actuator and DCT mechatronic module and gaskets. Of course the dealership way overcharged but as long as I'm under warranty I always will take it there for claims. When my extended warranty is up next year I'm going to get another one from the same company if they let me. I highly recommend them. I do have a 100 deductible and it is the platinum coverage.
      02-04-2016, 02:40 AM   #54
REV1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Btw the company is NAC. You can call them and find an independent dealer in your **** to purchase. They don't sell coverage direct.
      02-04-2016, 04:35 AM   #55
Move Over
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by REV1
Btw the company is NAC. You can call them and find an independent dealer in your **** to purchase. They don't sell coverage direct.
Their website looks promising. Nothing too gimmicky
      02-04-2016, 04:39 AM   #56
briancl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Carmax warranty was smooth in taking care of the $3k+ evaporator replacement.

It is important to have a good relationship with the service advisor as well, since they are the ones communicating with the insurance company. Helps to get decisions made in your favor.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2016, 04:43 AM   #57
Move Over
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancl
Carmax warranty was smooth in taking care of the $3k+ evaporator replacement.

It is important to have a good relationship with the service advisor as well, since they are the ones communicating with the insurance company. Helps to get decisions made in your favor.
Exactly. I have a contract on my other car (Toyota) and fidelity approved 700 bucks worth of stuff no problem. Haven't had to use it on my bmw yet. Hope I never have to because that would mean the engine or tranny went :P
      02-04-2016, 09:46 AM   #58
scrammer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Ultimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwlover0725 View Post
This is how I make a living. I'm a finance manager at a Cadillac dealership.

There are two types of warranties: named components & exclusionary

An exclusionary is pretty self-explanitory. It's basically a bumper to bumper. It's really the way both these types of contracts are named that says it all.

A named components warranty is one to avoid IMO. These are the ones that give you a huge long list of over 100 parts or so that are covered, thus making it look like a ton of coverage is available under your plan. However - it is just the opposite. The ONLY things covered are EXACTLY what is named on this list. There are far more components in any vehicle to all of it's systems than what would be named on one of those lists.

An exclusionary is a comprehensive service contract in which the list (if any) or parts is one that EXCLUDES whatever is on that list. If it isn't listed there - it will be covered.

For example - the GMPP which is one of the best in the industry (unfortunately not available on M cars of our generation or I'd write one for myself), has a list of what is covered, but it just shows every single part of every system in the vehicle minus normal wear and tear. Brake pads and like items are covered IF and ONLY IF they are failed by a covered part's failure (eg: a caliper, which is covered - sticks and destroys a pad/rotor). The GMPP even goes so far as to cover "wear" like a window motor slowly creeping down, as it is not functioning how it was designed to.

Deductibles: These are particularly important. If you're ever at a dealer and they just tell you about that great warranty and your monthly payment increase rather than the sales price (always happens) - make sure you ask what the deductible is and if there are any lower options, should it not suit your needs. Your price will change accordingly, but don't let them hit you for another 2k for a $0 or $50 deductible from a $200 one. That isn't reasonable at all. This goes for purchasing an aftermarket warranty at any of the above mentioned places as well.

IMO, Route 66 has pretty good warranties. I hear nothing but good things about them and I'm grabbing a powertrain one on my 2008 that I still have to put a loan through once I get it to pass inspection. This warranty will prevent the issues I'm going through out of pocket.

A couple of other things to know:

-A lot of these companies ask that you have a used vehicle check done at a preferred shop to ensure that you don't have pre-existing issues. FIX THEM if there are any or pray that you know somebody there because it can make a future occurrence difficult to cover under your plan.

-Some dealers use companies like First Extended or Portfolio. BY VERY WARY OR THESE. There are others out there as well. These companies are self-insured meaning the dealer buys into them and has some say in what is and isn't covered. If the dealer has been known forever for their customer service, this can be a good thing. If they are not good on that end (a lot of "one price" dealers are this way), then avoid these like the plague.

-A LOT of extended service contracts are available for a pro-rata refund. Some are only upon totalling the vehicle, but others (like the GMPP for example) are available for refund if you get rid of the vehicle for a new one. Some dealers will tell you that when you're selling a vehicle as a return customer, you get a credit for a new warranty. THIS LIKELY MEANS THAT YOU ARE ELIGIBLE FOR A REFUND FOR SOME OF IT. I think they are a good idea as long as you get the right thing, but don't let them force you into another one. You do have the option to cancel as well.

I know I'm an F&I manager and this is how I make my money, but the best sales person can close anyone honestly if they are good at it. I make more money than half of the con-artists I know just by knowing how to talk and gauge a customer. I've been in automotive sales and marketing, a technician, and parts sales since I started working 7 years ago. It doesn't take a genius to sell the stuff, but it takes a genius to buy it with all of the garbage out there.

Believe me - this isn't me trying to sell my product. I can't even write a warranty for any of you. We all have M cars. I'm trying to help you out though.

I can look further into these ones if anybody has specific questions on them, but I haven't even been able to click on the links yet as I'm at work and about to be off of lunch.

My .02 - Anyone can feel free to PM me with questions.
That was a great write up thanks for the insight!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 11:44 PM   #59
elinstylez
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by REV1
Quote:
They paid out approximately 4500.00 ( I don't remember exact amount) without
Any issues. It was for a throttle actuator and DCT mechatronic module and gaskets. Of course the dealership way overcharged but as long as I'm under warranty I always will take it there for claims. When my extended warranty is up next year I'm going to get another one from the same company if they let me. I highly recommend them. I do have a 100 deductible and it is the platinum coverage.
Thanks for the feedback! I was a little concerned when their phone extension prompts would not work... But your experience makes me feel a little better lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 12:35 AM   #60
818m3e92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 CP Jerez Black

i have SAFE GUARD (safe-drive) Platinum (exclusionary), anybody have any experience with them? Thanks
      02-05-2016, 11:49 AM   #61
Lt1camaro
Lieutenant
Iran
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i, 2015 435i, 2013 M3

Anyone know any good Canadian aftermarket warranties?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 03:09 PM   #62
mermar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e xdrive

I am shopping Zurich and Fidelity - top offerings. I notice that Zurich states they do not cover throttle bodies on the highest level contract (Comprehensive).

Would this mean if my actuators go - Zurich would not cover it?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 01:48 PM   #63
elinstylez
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idk alex View Post
The first time I went through my aftermarket warranty they tried everything to pay as little as possible. I fought them and they ended up paying it all. And now they dont even question anything anymore and have covered over $3,000 worth of repairs.
Which company are you with?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 01:52 PM   #64
elinstylez
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermar View Post
I am shopping Zurich and Fidelity - top offerings. I notice that Zurich states they do not cover throttle bodies on the highest level contract (Comprehensive).

Would this mean if my actuators go - Zurich would not cover it?
I asked Delta Auto Protect if "throttle actuators" were covered even though the policy excluded "throttle bodies." The agent said because throttle actuators are part of the throttle body it is not covered.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 03:44 PM   #65
2010MSPORT335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Quote:
Which company are you with?
I'm pretty sure its ASC, the name is eluding me at the moment.

https://www.ascwarranty.com/asp/index.asp
      02-10-2016, 07:31 PM   #66
spiderspider
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT, 991 C4S, E46 330i

Just submitted a claim with Wanted Auto Protect for ABS pump replacement ($$$). They've requested my maintenance history.
Appreciate 0