BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

01-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
PetitPimousse
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Pothole vs tire....

...pothole wins

Hey forum,

So on my way home today hit a pothole hard with my E92 and all of a sudden low pressure warning came on. I could hear the air blowing out of the tire after putting my window down. I was 2 miles from home and in a tough place to stop safely so I drove extremely slowly and by the time i got home the tire was 100% flat. Now I'm very concerned that the wheel and/or the suspension will be damaged. I'm getting it towed tomorrow. I doubt the dealership will have the tire in stock so this is going to be a huge headache...
Any input?

Last edited by PetitPimousse; 07-11-2012 at 09:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
GreeKon
It ain't gonna suck itself
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

The dealer SHOULD have your tire laying around...considering they probably go through this type of thing all the time (cars with no spare).

Only thing you can do is wait to have them check it out and see if there's anymore damage.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
You should have ...

A) a tire pressure gauge in your car at all times.
B) when the tire pressure light went on you should have pulled over or off the express way.
C) then check your air pressure.
D) if the leak was not too bad you should have used your tire pressure compressor kit stored under the trunk floor.
E) if the pressure did not hold (when using the tire pressure sealing kit) then you should have called Road Side Assistance.

In doing one or the other above you would have assured your expensive rim was not damaged or your suspension affected. You might have even saved your expensive tire and they may have been able to repair it.

Now you may need a new tire and wheel ... cost estimated over $1000- on your car.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

You drove for 2 miles on a flat tire in an M3 and now you are worried you may have damaged your tire/wheel/suspension?

Why not just pull over and call BMW Assist ..for future ref (800)332-4269

Name:  imagesCANKLEAM.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  2.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
PetitPimousse
Private
Rep

I agree with all of the above but there was no left stop lane and the right was narrow an i felt it was dangerous for me to stop on a freeway at night with reduced visibility. Once off the freeway figured id try to make it home as im very close to the exit. Whats done is done... I assume the rim will be shot.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 06:29 AM   #6
Stronghammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetitPimousse View Post
I agree with all of the above but there was no left stop lane and the right was narrow an i felt it was dangerous for me to stop on a freeway at night with reduced visibility. Once off the freeway figured id try to make it home as im very close to the exit. Whats done is done... I assume the rim will be shot.
Forget the wheel. Get off the freeway and live to fight another day. No way in hell I'm stopping on the freeway at night unless the car won't move.
Mods: ESS VT1, MS test pipes, 19 BBS CH-R, Eibach pro springs, Painted reflectors, carbon fiber grills, Painted side markers with dark tinted lenses, 30% tint, Arkym rear diffuser, Innotech axle back exhaust, Performance spoiler
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
Gkap
BMF Movement
Canada
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

your wheel and suspension are probably fine.

just get it towed in tomorrow and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
You should have ...

A) a tire pressure gauge in your car at all times.
B) when the tire pressure light went on you should have pulled over or off the express way.
C) then check your air pressure.
D) if the leak was not too bad you should have used your tire pressure compressor kit stored under the trunk floor.
E) if the pressure did not hold (when using the tire pressure sealing kit) then you should have called Road Side Assistance.

In doing one or the other above you would have assured your expensive rim was not damaged or your suspension affected. You might have even saved your expensive tire and they may have been able to repair it.

Now you may need a new tire and wheel ... cost estimated over $1000- on your car.
The tire pressure kit really only works for punctured tires, not bent wheels where the seal is broken on the edge.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
PetitPimousse
Private
Rep

Cracked wheel, will know if suspension is damaged after alignment.... Now have to pray...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #10
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWM3 View Post
The tire pressure kit really only works for punctured tires, not bent wheels where the seal is broken on the edge.
You think I was born yesterday?

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 12:16 PM   #11
Bimmer Freeeek!
Live Fast. Die Young.
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 ///M3

The realization that you've got a flat, on the highway nonetheless, is one of the worst feelings in the world. A couple years ago I experienced a tire blowout on the Florida Turnpike at night in a stretch that wasn't well lit. While waiting for AAA, I was on edge since there wasn't much road traffic. Maybe I am overly paranoid but there are a lot of bad predators out there and being essentially stranded on the side of the highway could be dangerous for anyone - particularly if you have a nice car that draws more attention from passing motorists. After that experience, the fact that this car doesn't have any spare does concern me. My CA told me that he had heard of clients purchasing aftermarket donut wheels that they took along with them on road trips but my internet searches on this have come up empty.

Good luck OP!

2012 M3 E92 SS-II
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Considering that scenario-changing the tire on the side of that road will be more precarious. Best to sit inside and have BMW Assist or AAA do their work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Freeeek! View Post
The realization that you've got a flat, on the highway nonetheless, is one of the worst feelings in the world. A couple years ago I experienced a tire blowout on the Florida Turnpike at night in a stretch that wasn't well lit. While waiting for AAA, I was on edge since there wasn't much road traffic. Maybe I am overly paranoid but there are a lot of bad predators out there and being essentially stranded on the side of the highway could be dangerous for anyone - particularly if you have a nice car that draws more attention from passing motorists. After that experience, the fact that this car doesn't have any spare does concern me. My CA told me that he had heard of clients purchasing aftermarket donut wheels that they took along with them on road trips but my internet searches on this have come up empty.

Good luck OP!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #13
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

you'll be fine. if the wheels look damaged then replace but everything else should b fine.
you could always un-mount your wheel and bring it to a tire shop that has that tire in stock. i hate the dealerships.

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #14
Bimmer Freeeek!
Live Fast. Die Young.
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
Considering that scenario-changing the tire on the side of that road will be more precarious. Best to sit inside and have BMW Assist or AAA do their work.
It seems that having a spare would at least allow you to get to the closest town to check into a hotel for the night, since tire shops are closed and most likely will not have the tires in stock and need to get them from the regional warehouse. In the worst case, if the tire is completely busted and the car needs to be flat bedded, I suppose one solution would be to get a rental but again this could be a bit of a hassle if you are not close to a larger city. So say I am driving alone (and am too far from home to easily have a friend come and pick me up) and this happens, logistically, how would I get into town? Does the truck driver give you a ride? I know this may seem like a dumb question but this has never been a problem before.

2012 M3 E92 SS-II
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #15
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Typically, the tow driver will give you a ride to the nearest town (on the way) or at the very least hail you a cab.

Regarding a spare tire: leatherz.com usually carries them. I understand they're out of stock at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Freeeek! View Post
It seems that having a spare would at least allow you to get to the closest town to check into a hotel for the night, since tire shops are closed and most likely will not have the tires in stock and need to get them from the regional warehouse. In the worst case, if the tire is completely busted and the car needs to be flat bedded, I suppose one solution would be to get a rental but again this could be a bit of a hassle if you are not close to a larger city. So say I am driving alone (and am too far from home to easily have a friend come and pick me up) and this happens, logistically, how would I get into town? Does the truck driver give you a ride? I know this may seem like a dumb question but this has never been a problem before.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #16
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
I wouldn't even sit inside, even during inclement weather. I have no interest in being inside the car when a distracted or out of control driver rear ends the car at highway speeds. Better to sit behind a protective barrier IMO.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #17
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
You think I was born yesterday?

Let me clarify, I meant after checking your pressure, check your rims, inside and out if you can, you can feel if it's bent.

Then try the compressor. I've been in the same situation and wasted a bunch of time mucking with the compressor to find when it didn't work that the wheel was bent. It was the first time on a car with no spare and not run flats so it was a little confusing how the BMW temporary fix worked and when it wouldn't.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 05:58 PM   #18
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Why bother with all this when you can simply pull over and call a free tow?

Is an hour or even 2 not worth it when the alternative is potentially major $ in repairs?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #19
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWM3 View Post
Let me clarify, I meant after checking your pressure, check your rims, inside and out if you can, you can feel if it's bent.

Then try the compressor. I've been in the same situation and wasted a bunch of time mucking with the compressor to find when it didn't work that the wheel was bent. It was the first time on a car with no spare and not run flats so it was a little confusing how the BMW temporary fix worked and when it wouldn't.
I understand ,,, no harm done. Still I would have called the roadside assistance, after all we paid up front for that life time service. That is while I made point "E" in my response to the OP. I've been driving cars for over 50 years and M3's for the past 8 years ... this is my third M3.

I do apologize for my blond reply before.

Appreciate 0