BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-19-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

GC Suspension kit is on......

I will write a full review as I get some more miles on them and a bit more spirited driving. Tom I may b able to post a bit on it. Of course, not a track review, but a street review.

But as far as I can tell, initial impressions r impressive..

Stay tuned..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 01:00 AM   #2
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

cant wait to hear your review, where in ny are you, id love to see this setup in person if your in the area...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 03:00 AM   #3
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Looking forward to the review!
      02-20-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

02-20-2010, 09:36 AM   #5
KiokenM3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: LIFTED JEEP JK!

Pics Damnit!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
ThorPR
Let's Race
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3

Can't wait to hear the review...

2010 BMW M3 Coupe
Alpine White - DCT
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #7
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

When you get a chance, can you please post your ride height specs?
Did you corner balance it?
Thanks.
      02-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #8
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep

Whats up guys...

So today I took a little ride. Altho i have basiccaly spent about 3 hours total with the new suspension on I can tell you one thing. This kit is the best I have had so far. Mind u, I have not had coils, but i did have the eibach springs and H&R's. This is by far the best, actually no comparison. I wish I had the chance to ride in one with coils so that I can describe the difference, but I havent. I can probably assure you guys that this will be the best bang for buck suspension kit. And for those with edc, well i wouldnt even look any further. Its really that great.

I took a ride where I knew there would b a couple twisties, since here in nyc, there are not to many. Car feels great, turn in is awsome. Best of all, the feeling i had described about the car feeling unstable at high speeds or over bumps...... GONE...

I can now tell how I was basiccaly on the bumpstops before. U can feel when u hit bumps that the socks have more room to dampen. With the H&R's, when i would go over manholes at certain speeds, the coils of the springs would hit, making a metal on metal noise. NOW? GONE... Car feels much smoother... In the twisties it felt good, but not great. And im almost positive thats due to the fact that the car is all out of alignment specs right now. It actually has got to be a mess lol. I would slam on the gas and i would have to adjust the steering cause the car would kinda drift away lol.

My appointment is set for wednesday. Corner balance and custom alignment. As far as ride height goes, I basically kept it at the H&R height cause i wanted to feel the difference at similar heights, and its night and day. I promise, Im not exagerating. H&R's r great for looks, but if ur looking for performance, deff wrong step. Car will feel stiffer, but thats about it. U can emmediately feel the difference with the gc kit.

U can play with the height a nice amount. Im gonna go a bit lower then I am right now once I get it corner balanced. Ill take a few pics for you guys tomorrow at the height im at now. In the front, I kinda went as low as i could without leaving an threads. U can kinda cheat it by going lower but the piece that screws will not be on the threads. Kinda hard to explain what im trying to say, but hopefully I can show u guys with some pics. Rear is diff, rear u can slam with no problems.

The only thing that freaked me out was the fact that when u have the car jacked up, the spring is loose. Then, once u drop the car it basically sits on the spring mount or whatever. But what if u should go airbourne? haha... U would just hear a loud thump i guess lol. I couldnt get over that fact, but my mechanic told me hes seen that a million times, very normal.

This is my temp review. Once i align it and get it corner balanced and at the height I want, I will write my full thoughts on the kit.

EDIT: Im in NYC
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #9
MentholGuy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3

Can't wait to see the pictures!!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 05:11 PM   #10
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthirtyfizle View Post
Whats up guys...

So today I took a little ride. Altho i have basiccaly spent about 3 hours total with the new suspension on I can tell you one thing. This kit is the best I have had so far. Mind u, I have not had coils, but i did have the eibach springs and H&R's. This is by far the best, actually no comparison. I wish I had the chance to ride in one with coils so that I can describe the difference, but I havent. I can probably assure you guys that this will be the best bang for buck suspension kit. And for those with edc, well i wouldnt even look any further. Its really that great.

I took a ride where I knew there would b a couple twisties, since here in nyc, there are not to many. Car feels great, turn in is awsome. Best of all, the feeling i had described about the car feeling unstable at high speeds or over bumps...... GONE...

I can now tell how I was basiccaly on the bumpstops before. U can feel when u hit bumps that the socks have more room to dampen. With the H&R's, when i would go over manholes at certain speeds, the coils of the springs would hit, making a metal on metal noise. NOW? GONE... Car feels much smoother... In the twisties it felt good, but not great. And im almost positive thats due to the fact that the car is all out of alignment specs right now. It actually has got to be a mess lol. I would slam on the gas and i would have to adjust the steering cause the car would kinda drift away lol.

My appointment is set for wednesday. Corner balance and custom alignment. As far as ride height goes, I basically kept it at the H&R height cause i wanted to feel the difference at similar heights, and its night and day. I promise, Im not exagerating. H&R's r great for looks, but if ur looking for performance, deff wrong step. Car will feel stiffer, but thats about it. U can emmediately feel the difference with the gc kit.

U can play with the height a nice amount. Im gonna go a bit lower then I am right now once I get it corner balanced. Ill take a few pics for you guys tomorrow at the height im at now. In the front, I kinda went as low as i could without leaving an threads. U can kinda cheat it by going lower but the piece that screws will not be on the threads. Kinda hard to explain what im trying to say, but hopefully I can show u guys with some pics. Rear is diff, rear u can slam with no problems.

The only thing that freaked me out was the fact that when u have the car jacked up, the spring is loose. Then, once u drop the car it basically sits on the spring mount or whatever. But what if u should go airbourne? haha... U would just hear a loud thump i guess lol. I couldnt get over that fact, but my mechanic told me hes seen that a million times, very normal.

This is my temp review. Once i align it and get it corner balanced and at the height I want, I will write my full thoughts on the kit.

Don't worry about the loose spring, thats normal on a coilover type suspension.
      02-20-2010, 06:23 PM   #11
Dieselino
Captain
Rep
Drives: 03 LSB M3 06 M coupe 08 M3 SG

wonder if you can make this kit work without the camber plates
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 07:11 PM   #12
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Sounds good. Can't wait to get mine on - hopefully Monday. As far as ride height is concerned I'm going with 13" front (measured from the centerline of the wheel) and 12-12.25" in the rear. This is slightly higher than Bimmerworld set the car at when they installed the motons.

Congrats - it's good to hear you like it so far!

BC
      02-20-2010, 07:21 PM   #13
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

You can't put some pretension on the rear springs? I've seen springs come out because a car caught a little air. Not pretty.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 09:07 PM   #14
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep

The rear springs r fine. Its the front.

Camber plates r actually so great. So much easier to adjust it.Im at -1.5 right now. But my suspension is a mess lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 09:10 PM   #15
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

Sounds promising. I am not dissatisfied with my H$R, but I do not see them as the final solution.
      02-20-2010, 09:48 PM   #16
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthirtyfizle View Post
Whats up guys...

Thanks for the review.

The question is when does the spring get loose? If it is a position where you will never reach during normal driving, then that's fine, but if the spring could get loose during normal driving, then GC should have used a longer spring.

Looks like you may be able to fix this by lifting the front up a little, so that there is a bit of pre-compression.

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 09:52 PM   #17
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

I had GC coilovers on my E36. They were great!

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 10:23 AM   #18
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991TTs

thanks for this man, cant wait to hear your full review as well as barry's, it would also be nice if you can chime in down to road to update us on how everything is working.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #19
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

I suprised to hear that your front spring is loose given the rate? Do you happen to know how long it is? I was going to change to a shorter spring soon for more clearance.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 04:16 PM   #20
ff1600
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP 6mt YMB/SB

Helper Spring

Use a zero rate helper spring.
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...p?Product=1876
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 10:52 PM   #21
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep

Guys, the spring is only loose when the car is jacked up due to the shorter spring. Once the car is fully lowered tand it decompresses, the spring loads up and thats it, no more movement. If u should go airbourne im sure the noise u would hear wouldnt be comforting, but I dont think it would have any issues anyway. However, ot also depends on how low u r. Im trying to go very low which is why its loose like that. But if u set it up at a higher position, the spring will be decompressed even when jacked.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 12:25 AM   #22
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

lets see some pics!!
Appreciate 0