BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

05-12-2011, 01:38 AM   #1
01'325rip
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08' E93 M3

Exhaust mod question

I might get flamed for this but just a curious question.

I know some forum members have done some fabrication to their OEM exhaust. (Subzero i believe and I have checked out his great work!) But has anyone made there own cat-back ? Is this process way more in depth then i imagine. Is it just not worth time or money to invest and just worth buying aftermarket. Is there a fair amount of sound engineering etc that goes into the design of these? . Anyone have interest in doing this and can fill me in on some knowledge.

I think it would be cool to grab a OEM exhaust from someone and mess with the muffler and tips to create your own setup. Maybe mess with the pipes inside the muffler? Not sure exactly what they do or the correct terminology.

But i have some materials at home and thought it would be a fun project. Can anyone shed some light,and if anyone in the south florida area has some interest and knowledge in this and think is is plausible i think i have the tools to do it, aside from a lift.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Most large exhaust manufacturers, like Borla, Magnaflow, etc., use the same freaking muffler on every application, and call it 'custom made for the car'. The only thing 'custom made' (obviously) is the piping. Many exhaust systems look like they were made in a garage, so if you have the proper equipment (Mandrell machine), you could certainly do it. The only issue is that it might drone like a mofo, so if you care about that, better go with a known product. If you want to modify a stock exhaust, you'd only lose $150 or so (shipped), so knock yourself out . Good luck man.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 GT3 RS

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379698

Maybe this is what you're looking for?

Last edited by e90m3_6MT; 05-12-2011 at 06:35 PM..
Appreciate 0