BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

11-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
Foxrus14
1 SLY 1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i work car...

Manufacturing/Machining

Anyone here in Engineering or work at a facility that metal parts are machined or fabricated? I know there are a lot of software and network engineers... how about guys that actually make things or run any type of CAM software or machining centers?
2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special - Mine
2014 Harley Davidson Breakout - Wifey
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

I am proficient in machine setup / programming in the following;
Fanuc Robocut Wire EDM
Hitachi Seiki Lathe
Mori Seiki / Hurco WinMax / Fanuc Robodrill vertical milling cells (not 5-axis yet, though)
Anca CNC Cutter Grind
Alot of work with manual machines like surface grinders, od grinders, centerless grinders, blanchard, bench grind, etc.

Software: SurfCam / AutoCad, Autodesk, Inventor 2012

Currently working at Eaton for internal trans/engine components like valve bodies, ball plungers, rocker arm assemblies. Only designing I am doing though is for all the tooling used in the plant for Hydromats, National Coldformers, Vertical hard milling / creep feed, and hone (although my hone knowledge is pretty minimal).
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
Foxrus14
1 SLY 1
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
I am proficient in machine setup / programming in the following;
Fanuc Robocut Wire EDM
Hitachi Seiki Lathe
Mori Seiki / Hurco WinMax / Fanuc Robodrill vertical milling cells (not 5-axis yet, though)
Anca CNC Cutter Grind
Alot of work with manual machines like surface grinders, od grinders, centerless grinders, blanchard, bench grind, etc.

Software: SurfCam / AutoCad, Autodesk, Inventor 2012

Currently working at Eaton for internal trans/engine components like valve bodies, ball plungers, rocker arm assemblies. Only designing I am doing though is for all the tooling used in the plant for Hydromats, National Coldformers, Vertical hard milling / creep feed, and hone (although my hone knowledge is pretty minimal).
I was a grinding Supervisor for a while... Creep feed grinding is some cool shit. Just be sure to get the coolant into the grind zone or fires will happen... (OIL AS A COOLANT ONLY)

I have an entire engineering team that runs all the manufacturing. we machine tons of different material from PH 17 Stainless to 4140 steel and cast Aluminum... SOme pretty cool stuff. We make jacks and mechanical actuators that have 350 ton lifting capacity. big stuff.

Eaton is a great company... I turned down a job to work for them because they wanted me to move from facility to facility every 18 months. Something that did not work for my wife and her work.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
slamako
Metal cutter
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i 08 6MT Sed Red Met.

I'm in injection mold manufacturing.
So I'm heaviliy involved in
a) 3D solid modelling
b) CAM machining
c) 5-axis machining
d) EDM machining

Some wares, I know
i) UG, Visi Mold
ii) Tebis, PowerMill

I'm more in the business end of things these days.
I like what I do and have provided a decent living for my family.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
wakeboarder109
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: in High Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrus14 View Post
I was a grinding Supervisor for a while... Creep feed grinding is some cool shit. Just be sure to get the coolant into the grind zone or fires will happen... (OIL AS A COOLANT ONLY)

I have an entire engineering team that runs all the manufacturing. we machine tons of different material from PH 17 Stainless to 4140 steel and cast Aluminum... SOme pretty cool stuff. We make jacks and mechanical actuators that have 350 ton lifting capacity. big stuff.

Eaton is a great company... I turned down a job to work for them because they wanted me to move from facility to facility every 18 months. Something that did not work for my wife and her work.
Who are you currently working for? We work with a lot of manufacturing and machining companies (all indusries). I believe we have done some work with Eaton in the past as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:

Honestly, before I got into CNC programming, I had no idea what I wanted to do. It was very rewarding to learn the process of making something from a blank steel or carbide rod, into what makes this nation move. I wish my current career was more labor intensive, but I'm restricted because I work inside of Eaton.

I picked the job up on a whim. I don't regret it for a second. MI was good for manufacturing, but the atmosphere up there is a complete 180° from here. I wish I had more power to make changes than I do, especially with new work coming in, some people are very closed minded.

The whole environment is definitely a creature of its own, and the people..., a wide variety of life to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 06:13 AM   #7
Foxrus14
1 SLY 1
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeboarder109 View Post
Who are you currently working for? We work with a lot of manufacturing and machining companies (all indusries). I believe we have done some work with Eaton in the past as well.
I work for Columbus McKinnon At their Duff-Norton Facility in their Advanced Engineering/Manufacturing Group. I run all the CapEx budgets and CapEx projects here. Who do you work for?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 06:31 AM   #8
wakeboarder109
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: in High Country

Quote:
I work for Columbus McKinnon At their Duff-Norton Facility in their Advanced Engineering/Manufacturing Group. I run all the CapEx budgets and CapEx projects here. Who do you work for?
Just sent you a pm. I actually work for a CM distributor (Williamson & Wilmer) in Richmond.
Appreciate 0