BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

02-04-2014, 11:08 AM   #1
Fizik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 Vs. S-04

Time to put new tires on my summer rims. When i bought the car it came with RE-11 on it, and I loved the feel they had. I've been searching around to see if I want to buy them again or try out the S-04's. I don't track the car but do go for the occasional spirited mountain drive 2-3 times a year. The sidewall stiffness is one of the most important things to me, drives me crazy when i can feel the tire shift, so I'm okay with the stiffer ride and road noise. From the reviews I've read the S04 has a stiffer side wall and better feel than the comparable PSS. So that leaves the two Bridgestones. The longer tread wear on the S-04 would be nice plus they are on sale at tire rack right now. Has anyone driven their M3 on both to know how they compare? Any other thoughts are welcome as well. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 01:34 PM   #2
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport

I have heard the S-04 are good and have good reviews but they are such a heavy tire. In some cases 4-5lbs more per tire than the PSS for a fraction of a stiffer sidewall.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

This type of question gets asked a lot, with someone wanting to compare an Extreme Performance tire to a Max Performance tire. (The class names may vary depending on who you talk to, but the point is they have different target markets.)

Extreme performance tires like the RE11 emphasize dry traction and immediate steering response. They are willing to give up a fair amount of wet traction, comfort, quiet, and longevity.

Tires in the Max Performance category aim for excellence in both dry and wet traction, and try to balance reasonable comfort and noise levels with good steering response and grip.

From what you say about wanting sidewall stiffness and willing to give up comfort to get it, I would lean toward the RE11. You don't mention wet traction as a concern, but if it is then you might consider the S04 for that reason.
      02-05-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
Fizik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Anyone else have any thoughts? Anyone driven on both by chance?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 05:04 PM   #5
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

I think the S04 would feel like a downgrade to you.