BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

07-09-2009, 06:39 AM   #45
M3ltdown
Master Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e90 M3 JzB

Since these exhaust are hand built... is it possible to order an exhaust with shorter tips for the e90?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 08:41 AM   #46
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin316 View Post
Since these exhaust are hand built... is it possible to order an exhaust with shorter tips for the e90?
Yes. I've checked with Gintani, and they specially make tips that suit either the e92 or the e90 M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 08:42 AM   #47
M3ltdown
Master Chief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
Yes. I've checked with Gintani, and they specially make tips that suit either the e92 or the e90 M3.
sweet... one more exhaust to consider for the car

I think black would look good on my JzB.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 08:48 AM   #48
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Mine is shipping out tomorrow, any performance changes that you have felt?

Is it any more responsive?
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrip View Post
I'll have mine installed Saturday morning . Can't wait to hear the difference from my AA exhaust. I'll tell you this...all of the guys at Gintani are genuinely great guys. I can't thank them enough for being patient with me for the last two weeks .
Awesome! I can't wait for your comparison on the Gintani and the AA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
Post all your reviews and pictures guys! I'm really deciding between the Gintani, RPi or Riss at this point.

Someone post pics of your Gintani is the regular polished finish if you can!
+1

Any reviews, pics, and opinions are greatly helpful in making our purchase decision.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 08:51 AM   #49
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Definitely. If I get the Gintani, I'm gonna go with ceramic black coated.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 01:55 PM   #50
niterider
Proove It!
Rep
Drives: Gintani Supercharged

Quote:

Yeah, the black looks good on almost all the colors. I have Jet black e90 and it looks sick, i love it.

Here some pics of my e90 w/Ginatani full exhaust in black, sorry my car was dirty.

07-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #51
M3ltdown
Master Chief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
Yeah, the black looks good on almost all the colors. I have Jet black e90 and it looks sick, i love it.

Here some pics of my e90 w/Ginatani full exhaust in black, sorry my car was dirty.

Damn... those are some big ass pipes you go there Nice car!

btw, did you specify an e90 fitment on your exhaust? it looks like they stick out a bit, but not as bad as the Remus exhausts.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #52
niterider
Proove It!
Rep
Drives: Gintani Supercharged

Thanks, well the Gintani exhaust is adjustable for e90/e92 so u can set it how far out u want it. I personally like the raw race look so i love how it sits, it looks better in person.
      07-10-2009, 04:29 PM   #53
M3ltdown
Master Chief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, well the Gintani exhaust is adjustable for e90/e92 so u can set it how far out u want it. I personally like the raw race look so i love how it sits, it looks better in person.
So it's adjusted via installation, and not having specific tips for e90 and e92/93?

That contradicts this post:

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 04:32 PM   #54
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The pics that you just posted:

Is that before or after Gintani changed your tips to the e90 version?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 04:40 PM   #55
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So it's adjusted via installation, and not having specific tips for e90 and e92/93?

That contradicts this post:
When I called Gintani a while back, I asked why Niterider's tips stuck out so much. Gintani said that they updated his exhaust with new/shorter tips, and that they look much better now. I was told that they had different tips for the e90. Maybe I misunderstood. Correct me if I have mistaken. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 05:34 PM   #56
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Maybe they just modified the hangers so you can push them in or out as far as you want to compensate: E90, E92, or diffuser. Kind of like what AA did with their exhaust.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 05:45 PM   #57
M3ltdown
Master Chief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
Maybe they just modified the hangers so you can push them in or out as far as you want to compensate: E90, E92, or diffuser. Kind of like what AA did with their exhaust.

I thought AA uses adjustable tips?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 06:15 PM   #58
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's what I thought also......Or maybe they use both ways...?...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 06:33 PM   #59
powertrip
Scared money don't make money.
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
AA tips are adjustable for sure. Took my obsessive-compulsive ass an hour and a half to get them even .
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #60
Sales@Gintani.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red E92 M3

Our E90 system is 1 inch shorter than our E92/E93 system. Both systems have adjusters built in for fine adjustment(1 Inch).

Last edited by Sales@Gintani.com; 07-10-2009 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 07:04 PM   #61
M3ltdown
Master Chief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz@Gintani.com View Post
We only have one exhaust for the E9x M3, But we have adjustable clamps near the beginning of the rear section for customfitment. With the adjustable clamps you can either push out the exhaust or bring it back. I will post a picture for everyone to see.
Thanks... please do, especially on an e90. Most of us wanna see how far inward the exhaust can go to hide the tips
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #62
lugnut
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Space/Fox

OK, well, I still don't have my effing cruise-cam so I can't really take decent after install videos with my 1080p cam (I have some iphone video of the OEM exhaust w/ a Decibel Meter, but traffic was too heavy this afternoon to do a 4th gear pull from 75mph to 7krpms).

I picked up my M3 last week, and so far have put about 700 miles on it w/ the Gintani exhaust. I had to attend a wedding in St. Michael's, MD this weekend, so I figured it would be a great test for the every-day livability of the Gintani system. If my Girlfriend could deal with 500 mile round trip in the car, all is right with the world, and if not, she can hop back in her 335xi

As I posted before there is a drone between around 1600-2100 or so. This isn't really a problem unless you do mostly city driving, or, like what happened to me this past Friday, driving in 15mph bumper to bumper traffic for 2 hours. There is simply no way to really avoid the drone under those rare circumstances. Any after market exhaust would drone driving in what I sat though. Since the OEM system drones, anything louder will also increase the volume of the drone. It's a trade-off that I think almost all of us are willing to make, especially once you see the Gintani pipes on the back of your ride.

As you move up through the rpms the drone settles down, and the you can cruise all day long between 2300+rpms completely drone free. There is a slight increase in volume from about 2950-3050rpms though. This is not a drone but the sound level seems to peak inside the cabin should you keep the needle in this range (not sure why anyone would ever feel the need to keep the tach buried in this tiny range - my preliminary Db recordings the volume level jumps up to about 90 Dbs at 3000rpm, then drops back down to around 78 Dbs by 3100 or so). This is an incredibly small RPM band, and you normally move right past it while driving without ever noticing any change. Again, in normal driving I have yet to experience any drone. In fact, this sound really is only noticeable when I had my windows up, with the radio off, AC off, and sitting in total silence TRYING to make it drone (which I pretty much failed at ) If I had my windows down this volume jump seemed impercievable.

The only 2 reasons I really even noticed this noise jump were that 1) I was actively hunting for drone, often driving in ways that none of us actually do in an attempt to induce it; radio and AC off, not talking, windows up, and 2) after crawling through stop and go traffic for a couple of hours, I grew lazy, and didn't feel like down shifting out of 6th gear while cruising between 45-80mph. During normal highway cruising this 3000rpm sound bubble is nothing any prospective customer should be concerned about. Again, it's not a drone at all like the low rpm drone, but a minor cabin volume bump. When I drove the car like a normal person would (non-aggresively shifting at 4k rpms in every gear, radio at a normal, adult volume, conversing with a passenger in the car), the Gintani system is awesome. 80mph and up in 6th gear on a highway is drone free, and cabin noise is in the high 70s-high 80s decibel wise (OEM exhaust: 90mph/5th gear/4100rpm = 80Dbs. 90mph/4th gear/5100rpm = 80Dbs).

Also, I kept a running tally this weekend of the various complaints, compliments I would recive. St. Michael's, MD is a quiet Harbor town on the Chesapeake, and if anybody would give me grief over it I figured it would be the conservitive folks in a town like Saint Michaels'. During the course of the weekend I ended up getting 6 thumbs-up, 2 people asking me to rev it up (including a police officer), and managaed to make 4 middle aged women jump Not one complaint. In fact, one older gentleman and his wife at the wedding (around 68 or so, driving a S550) thought that it sounded "just perfect".

I have put 2 full tanks of fuel through the car since my Gintani install, and have gotten 17.2mpg so far (doing the real math, not using the car's computer). This is exactly what I averaged over the past 18 months with my stock system, so anyone that might be scared off by occasionally using 5th gear on the highway at 65mph as using too much fuel shouldn't worry.

As for looks and sound at idle, its AMAZING. The beefy tips fit perfectly, and the sound when you start the car can best be describe as pure evil .

Hopefully I can take some video tomorrow afternoon so you all can get a better feel for the sound inside the cabin. It's a wonderfully deep sound, with no break-up during RPM increase/decrease.

All in all, I absolutely love my choice of exhaust, and have no problem living with it as a daily driver so far. To repeat, if you simply get in and drive you will absolutely love the Gintani system. I hope Alex and Raz at Gintani don't think I was being too tough, because I really love the way my car looks and sounds now. It's taken me since February of 2008 to settle on an exhaust system, largely because I felt that there was a lack of in-depth, cards on the table, honest reviews out there. I was really going out of my way to try to find downsides to the Gintani system, and to be honest, if the only downside I can find is that there is a 8 or so decibel bump in a 200rpm range with the radio off and windows up, then I think the guys at Gintani have done an amazing job of bringing a unique system to the table. In fact, a friend of mine that just put a UUC catback on his M3 a week prior to my Gintani, saw and heard my system, and immediately declared that he is ordering it. At the time we were with 2 other E9x M3 owners, and everyone loved the tone of the Gintani system. In fact, I haven't received a complaint yet. Everyone that has seen it and heard it has loved it.

If anyone in the NJ area wants to hear it and take it for a spin, just drop me a PM and I'll be glad to arrange something for you. As far as I know I am the only M3 in the area with a Gintani catback so far.
08 E92 M3 SG/Fox Red Gintani Race (sold), RG63
02 E46 M3 Cab Imola, E36 Z3 Atlanta Blue/Tan

Last edited by lugnut; 07-13-2009 at 05:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #63
lugnut
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Space/Fox

Here are a couple of pics. I lightened them so the exhaust can be seen since it is blacked out. The last picture was not altered.
Attached Images

08 E92 M3 SG/Fox Red Gintani Race (sold), RG63
02 E46 M3 Cab Imola, E36 Z3 Atlanta Blue/Tan
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 05:39 PM   #64
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Lugnut, thanks for the very in-depth review and altered and unaltered pictures. Really clarified everything. Good to hear there is no "drone" at highway speeds and just an increased sound that doesn't seem bothering. Let us know if the black powdercoat shows any fade, chips, or wear

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 06:51 PM   #65
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I want to thank you also Lugnut. Your review in detail has immensly helped me. I just hope the tips fit up perfectly with the E90 M3. On Niterider's pics posted right before yours, they look a little too long.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 06:55 PM   #66
powertrip
Scared money don't make money.
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I want to thank you also Lugnut. Your review in detail has immensly helped me. I just hope the tips fit up perfectly with the E90 M3. On Niterider's pics posted right before yours, they look a little too long.
Dude! Don't worry about fitment; the Gintani exhaust has adjustment slides built into it where the x-pipe mates up with the axle back. You can push the exhaust out, or bring it back in. Alex will take care of you when you purchase it .
Appreciate 0